U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 10:09 AM

1,276 posts, read 2,994,947 times

Advertisements

I live on a cul-de-sac, and a black family, mom and one adult child, moved in about a year ago. Unfortunately, they moved next door to a bigoted bully. This man, who lives alone(his wife, a bigger bully, just passed away), owns two very large Rottwieller(sp?) dogs, which he is using to scare and intimidate his neighboors, especially the black guy, Tony. Everytime Tony walks down the street, Joe(the bully) makes sure he is outside w/ the dogs off the leash. He tells the dogs "watch him, keep your eyes on him", ect. The dogs are vicious and growl, bark, and show teeth as their owner encourages this aggressive behavior. Tony tried to polietly address the situation by asking if Joe could keep the dogs on a leash or at least wait till Tony has the opportunity to walk into his house or walk past Joe's house. Joe told him no, and furthermore, if Tony sees Joe's garage door open, he is to wait until Joe is done outside w/ the dogs. Last night, as Tony was trying to get to his house, Joe and dogs came rushing out, and Tony barely made it inside before the dogs rushed him. These dogs weigh over 150 lbs a piece. Tony is obviously very upset and terrified for his personal safety. BUT, Tony does not want to confront Joe, he just wants to keep the peace. He says racism is everywhere and nothing unusual. I think he should call the police AND tell Joe to end this horrible behavior. I am totally disgusted and feel Joe will continue to abuse, threaten, and bully ppl because no one opposes him, hence he gets away with it. What do you all think? What can I do to help Tony, who reached out to me for advice? I am so angry right now! Btw, sorry for the long paragraph, my PDA takes out the paragraph spaces. Thanks in advance, ....lil red........

Old 10-10-2009, 10:13 AM
miu

17,115 posts, read 34,614,964 times
Call your local animal control officer. Your racist neighbor may be in violation of a leash law.

Can you take videos of what is happening? Are you willing to testify against your racist neighbor?

Old 10-10-2009, 10:17 AM

25,953 posts, read 26,751,476 times
If there is a leash law - find out. If the dogs are charging and chasing Tony and coming onto HIS property he can call the police regarding both those issues. The dogs should not be on his property, period, and if they bite him on his property sue the hell out of the mo fo next door. Don't get me wrong I'm a dog lover, but if this guy is training his dogs to attack and the dogs are on other people's property then it's time to stop pawing around.

This guys sounds like more of a blow hard than anything and I think a visit from the police department is warrented. I'd even go so far as to write the mayor and let him/her pass it down for investigation. If those dogs came onto my property even once I'd be on the phone.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:18 AM

4,576 posts, read 7,877,268 times
Sounds like tony needs to man up. Im black and i dont tolerate nonsense like that. I would tell joe to go suck something and than would pay his goofy butt no mind. If his dog came on my property I would have let his dog bite me and depending on how much I lost my temper I would

A) go inside, get my double barrel shot gun and show Joe what a rott looks like after it explodes from a buck shot and than suggest joe remove himself from my property , I would than go in and call the police and inform them that a neighbor tried to attack me with his dog on my property and I had to defend my home and family. Sue

B)Call the police, ask for an ambulance, tell them my neighbor attacked me with his dog, press charges. Sue

Old 10-10-2009, 10:19 AM

24,671 posts, read 58,350,450 times
Tony should absolutely not confront the bully but he absolutely must call the police. The dogs are a menace and a danger to the community as a whole.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:20 AM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,465 posts, read 6,221,915 times
the idiot neighbor with the dogs is at a severe legal liability so 1 call to the local police should stop that action. Next best thing would be for Tony to get a gun and shoot and kill the first dog he felt threatened by and that would probably stop the harassment.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:27 AM

8,224 posts, read 14,918,804 times
It would be nice if Joe would stand up for himself, instead he is trying to fit in with the neighbors and not make waves. So....

Since OP is willing to help, then OP has some options:

Observe and report -
Observe: make notes on what is happening, date/time. If you can, as another poster said, get videos.
Report: To whom - depends -

dogs off-leash -- is there a town ordinance about leashing pets? Is there a town ordinance about violent dogs? Some towns/cities have enacted "pit bull laws" - check it out.

Hearing that he is "siccing" the dogs on Tony - if you should hear this being said, you need to call the police immediately. If you see anything that appears to be intimidation, call the police

Old 10-10-2009, 10:30 AM

9,369 posts, read 18,007,122 times
Tony should call the police and animal control.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:35 AM

1,276 posts, read 2,994,947 times
This is not the first time Joe has intimidated neighboors with the dogs, but before he only went after other dog owners WHO DARED TO WALK PAST HIS PROPERTY(on a public street, God forbid), and he never singled out someone and purposely told his dogs to "watch him", ect. I told Tony to confront Joe, I'm tired of bullys who get away with things because everyone is afraid of them. I also told Tony that I'd sue the hell out of Joe if his dogs ever went after me or my dogs. But I must say, I too, have avoided Joe because although I would definetly sue, a lawsuit wouldn't bring my dogs back if they were maimed or killed. Btw, Joe thinks he can't be sued if his dogs do something. And, my state has a leash law.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:40 AM

3,943 posts, read 7,543,776 times
if he's intimidating everyone with the dogs, then you should maybe be cautious with the word "racist"
it could be that this guy joe just hates everyone, and the colour of tony's skin is incidental.

i'd imagine you would need to have seen or heard direct racist behaviour to back up that allegation.

either way, there's no question that he's using his dogs to threaten people, and there must be some sort of law against that, i'm sure if animal control, or the police felt they were dangerous, they could have them taken away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida