U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2009, 08:29 PM

4 posts, read 10,730 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving to Florida, but we are not sure where to start looking. We would like to be near the beach, and we also need to be able to find teaching jobs. I am a special education teacher with a masters and a CAGS making 63K a year in Massachusetts. I understand that I will probably not make this much down there, but I am looking for a nice, safe area, near a beach, with good teaching jobs. Any suggestions???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 08:46 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,670,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rae78 View Post
My husband and I are considering moving to Florida, but we are not sure where to start looking. We would like to be near the beach, and we also need to be able to find teaching jobs. I am a special education teacher with a masters and a CAGS making 63K a year in Massachusetts. I understand that I will probably not make this much down there, but I am looking for a nice, safe area, near a beach, with good teaching jobs. Any suggestions???
Stay where you are. You will be hard pressed to find a job in Florida for teaching, even with salaries that a fraction of what you are making now.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:25 PM

574 posts, read 1,844,806 times
I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I am a teacher too and wanted you to know that in every district as far as I know, there are hiring freezes because of the budget. A very dear friend of mine, who happens to be my grade level partner has a DH who is a pastor, who was transferred across the state (3 hours from here) last summer (year before last). She is still driving back there every Friday afternoon, and leaving there every Monday morning at 4 to get back here to school. She stays in a small apartment the rest of the week because there are NO teaching jobs anywhere. It is impossible for her to transfer. Our education budget cuts in FL are incredible!

Nancy

Old 10-12-2009, 05:51 AM

7,486 posts, read 19,942,775 times
Ya know, I thought there was a hiring freeze for Sarasota county and they even laid off a few teachers at the end of last year. But then at the beginning of this year there are like seven new teachers. I'm not too sure how that happened. My kids attend Pine View School for the Gifted in Osprey, FL. It's a public gifted school.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:33 AM

1,134 posts, read 3,629,236 times
Ive posted this before, so I apologize for the redundancy.... Florida only 'teaches' to the FCAT. High steps on the Masters scale will hurt you more often than not. Realistically, a teachers aide can fulfill all the requirements to get kids to score ok on FCATS. When hiring, a first year teacher is most likely going to get preference over an experienced educator in these types of budget years. You will be shocked at the 'system' coming from NE If you do get contacted by a school in West Palm, be very careful and do your research. Some of the schools here would be a very undesirable work situation.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:41 AM

4 posts, read 10,730 times
Thanks for all of the info. The other possibilities are that I could work in a college, and I have certification as an assistant principal. How are those prospects down there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or