Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 07:05 AM

6 posts, read 30,512 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
Hubby and I are going to be moving and have always liked florida (we've traveled throughout twice.) I mean, we could go anywhere (he's self employed and there are other parts of the country we like as well) but we are quite fond of florida.... I will say I am concerned about the hurricanes though. We just lost our home out here in CA due to the wildfires back in November, so I certainly not looking forward to another natural disaster. I can view online statistics, but I was just hoping for some straight, practical insider views on the situation.... I mean obviously people live there and deal with it.... is it really that bad? is it like the CA earthquakes? (how people outside of CA think they're this big deal but being from CA you know they're quite infrequent/most people are generally out of the way of it/not too much damage generally speaking); or is it worse...? How much worse....? Is there a real legitimacy to my worries? Any thoughts would be appreciated......
Thanks!
Stacey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 07:16 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times
Don't buy or build in a flood zone anywhere in the state. Modern homes (as well as many older homes) go through hurricanes fine. I live in a house that has seen 4 major hurricanes and it was built in the 20's. Same for my mother's place. Depression era buildings strong as rocks.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:17 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,631,710 times
Hurricanes in Florida are pretty much as you describe - yes, they happen, and yes you must be prepared and keep an eye on the tropics during the season, but they are infrequent and usually way more hype than actual danger. It can be hard to remain vigilant with the media crying wolf about every tropical system.

Then every once in a while a storm like Andrew comes along and reminds us all just how destructive a direct hit from a major storm can be.

On the one hand, you can see a hurricane coming and get out of the way. On the other hand, hurricanes are unpredictable and sometimes they change paths and/or gain power with amazing quickness (like Charley). Evacuating out of Florida is very difficult when there is a storm coming. The road systems just can not handle the volume, so they are starting to advise people to simply move inland but not try to make it to Georgia.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:24 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,772,204 times
I think if you investigate, youll find the further south you live in Florida, the higher the chances are for hurricanes. For the Emerald Coast in the Florida Panhandle (far northern florida) , the average for a MAJOR hurricane is once every 9 years . And if youre inland a bit , then the hurricane effect is diminished but the chance of a tornado goes up as they are often spawned from a hurricane.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:44 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Hurricanes in Florida are not a big deal until they are a big deal.

In other words, Floridians are hardened against hurricanes the way people in other states are with whatever THEIR version of the local extreme weather.

For those who are very worried, buy newer construction with impact windows (or the latest, to-code, non-impact windows), and don't live on the ocean. New homes in Florida, specifically, South Florida, are built to very strict standards. Believe it or not, FLorida has learned from its disasters in this regard.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:07 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,277,446 times
North of Orlando doesn't get Hurricane action hardly at all. Specifically Jacksonville & Tallahassee, due to geography, haven't had a direct hit in many decades.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:14 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
We haven't had a direct hit in Sarasota or Tampa Bay in decades either. The southernmost part of Florida is usually the most vulnerable to a hurricane. Bottom line, anywhere in Florida can be hit with a hurricane, but odds are really small when you break it down. And the odds of a really bad one (Cat 4 or 5) are smaller still). Many years, (such as this one) we have nothing at all.

I would suggest buying quality construction whether new or old, we live in an older concrete block 1950's rancher that's built like a bunker and we are 2 blocks from the water. Many sturdy homes here going back to 1920's, none have ever been damaged by a hurricane. I would take risk of hurricanes any day over risk of wildfire. I do think those wildfires in California are far more frequent and deadly than the risk of earthquake. And in a hurricane you USUALLY have warning and can get out of the way. Stacey, I'm so sorry to hear you lost your home to a fire - that is really heartbreaking!

Remember that almost everywhere in the country or world has some form of dangerous weather to be wary of. Just be as prepared as you can be, and don't live in fear of what might never happen.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:05 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Hurricanes in Florida are not a big deal until they are a big deal.
90% of the time, a tropical storm warning or even hurricane warning works out to the equivalent of a Midwestern snow storm. It's annoying at times but no big deal, and not necessarily worth cancelling the night's high school football games over.

Outside of Andrew, which was a very rare event, even the bad storms aren't as bad as the wildfires, IMO. Just think well-built house in Flood Zone X, and be vigilant about keeping the landscaping healthy and trees properly trimmed.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:56 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,631,710 times
Quote:
Many years, (such as this one) we have nothing at all.
That's a bit premature, the season isn't over yet.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:59 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,772,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
That's a bit premature, the season isn't over yet.
95% over. Ill bet alot of people are happy about having none so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida