U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-12-2009, 08:30 AM

2,901 posts, read 6,718,705 times

Advertisements

Hello all. There has been a similar discussion in the Ft. Myers forum, and I know this has been discussed long before, but I thought it might be a valid discussion again, due to the snowbird season, etc.

There is just no really one good way to do this leg of the trip.

Mapquest says;

Take I-95 to I-10, then take 301 down to Ocala to I-75. This takes you through the notorious "Waldo/Starke/Lawtey speed trap from Hell". I have never gone this way, and it might be fine, but I have read enough bad about it to make me avoid it.

Another way to go is I-95 past St. Augustine, then go through Palatka, through the black hole of Ocala National Forest, (Pretty, but reminds you of the movie,"The hills have Eyes"), then take 441 to Leesburg.

I'm thinking of taking I-95 down to I-4. I'd be on I-4 for about 30 miles, then just taking SR-46 to Mt. Dora to 441 to Leesburg. People have said the I-4 is BAD, but is it at 4am.....?

Mapquest says this way will be 16 minutes slower then the "Waldo" way from where I would be starting out for this last leg of the trip. The big thing to factor in is that I would be doing this at night. I did take the "Forest" way at night once, and the deer were lining up by the road every 30 ft, like a parade was coming.....it was amazing we did not wreck the car by a deer hit.

I'm more of a Type-A freeway type of person. I'm a SAFE driver, but at night I think it would be better if I stuck to the Interstates as much as I can. I think taking 301 in the dead of night might not be good. Especially with NY plates, etc.

One poster who owned a trucking company suggested taking I-95 to just NORTH of Jacksonville, getting off of it at Yulee, taking A1A to 301 all the way down to I-75. I'm thinking that all that non Interstate driving in the dead of night would not be the fastest/best way to go. Interesting though.

I'm taking this trip soon. (Can't wait! I woke up to 32 degrees today with heavy frost on the ground.....) Any thoughts?

Frank

Last edited by faithfulFrank; 10-13-2009 at 02:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 12:04 AM

461 posts, read 917,159 times
Question Origin Please?

Um, in order to help you, it's NOT clear if you're travelling from S. Florida on 95 (or 75) or coming from the north off 75 or 95. Please advise.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonadewd View Post
Um, in order to help you, it's NOT clear if you're travelling from S. Florida on 95 (or 75) or coming from the north off 75 or 95. Please advise.
Forgive me......I should have been more clear. All the options given were from the north. I'll be coming from the northeast, driving south on I-95. When we get to the Jacksonville area is where there are 4-5 options. Basically, the area in question is getting from the Jacksonville area to the Leesburg/Clermont area.

Another way I did not mention is taking I-95 to I-10 to I-75. But that takes you too far west, and seems quite a bit longer.

Thank you.

Frank

Old 10-13-2009, 05:57 AM

23,998 posts, read 32,340,097 times
We've tried it both ways several times, and BY FAR the best route is 95 to I-4 to the 408 to the turnpike to exit 272 to 50 for the northern end of Clermont.

To get to the far southern end of Clermont you'd want to hop off the 408 onto the 429 south and get off at 192 or Avalon. (Some people swear by 429 to Stoneybrook to Hartwood as the fastest route to get to the Kings Ridge/Lake Louisa area in Clermont.)

If you are going to Leesburg (they are two very different places with 20+ miles or so between them you know) I'd get off I-4 onto 46 and take it west to 441 to 44.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:49 PM

Thank you Annerk!

Yes, our destination is about 3 miles south of Leesburg, just a couple of miles north of the Turnpike entrances.

Mapquest still says it is quicker taking 301, but I'm sticking with the I-95, I-4, SR-46 way, at least this time. I've never taken 301, and I'd rather drive over 70mph then have to go through small towns, stoplights, etc.

Frank

Old 10-13-2009, 11:43 PM

461 posts, read 917,159 times
Good directions mentioned for "fastest/night route" (if no gridlock or accidents on I-4) but offer "scenic route" through Ocala National Forest:
South of St Augustine on 95, exit WEST on SR207 to Palatka. (You can top-up your tank on the east side exit of 95/SR207 at best prices.) Cross the St John's River (US17 bridge) to SR19 SOUTH to Eustis. Take US441 WEST to Leesburg, via Tavares. Nice trip, low traffic/stress until 441 jog/Leesburg area. Interesting sites along the way to explore including numerous secluded springs. Pack a lunch and picnic. Smell the pine forests with the sunroof and windows open. Aaahhh Florida!

You'd also be surprised how quick this route is as it's more direct than going to I-4. Only thing I don't know about is road construction and you'll have to check with AAA about that. (Palatka area is notorious for it, as they seem to drag their projects out over years to keep the locals employed! )

Last edited by daytonadewd; 10-14-2009 at 12:07 AM..

Old 10-16-2009, 07:22 AM

Thank you Daytona.

We did that a few times and it IS very nice in the daytime....but IMHO, too much risk of a deer accident during the night.

Today we have snow on the ground. It makes me just want to get down there the fastest way.

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida