Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 04:58 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,770,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post
This is almost laughable...

First off, it's very presumptuous of several people here to believe they know me to be voicing opinions about me, and I think it's ridiculous that you're taking personal issue with how I feel about S. Fl and more specifically WPB as if you owned the place. Please remember that this is a public forum and that I'm entitled to my opinion like anyone else and the least you can do is grant me the courtesy of respecting my right (or anyone else's) to disagree without preaching at people.

I think some of you got a little confused here and misread the title of this thread, it's not "what do you like about your part of the state but what is it like, ok? There's a difference. It appears clear to me that you are the ones with some "issues" because perhaps you are subconsciously taking my opinion as a challenge to your judgment, but come on, you don't hae to take this so personally, that's petty and ridiculous. I know circumstances have a lot to do with how people perceive a place but also remember there is no "one-size-fits-all" and we don't all have to be happy in the same place, that's precisely why there are 50 states in this country, sheesh!

Prettygirl777, please learn not to interpret things your way, I never said I "hated" this place, only that it hasn't been good for me. I'd like to know what you know about me to feel sure I'm a negative person or that you can make a prediction about my future... I have absolutely no doubt that I will find a place that betters suits my needs because, actually, my requirements are not many like a see a lot more people in the forums of other states asking for. And, in fact, I've pretty much narrowed it down to one place so far, however, last night I talked to a friend who is thinking of buying a house in Tennesee and she thought it would be great if we could share the house but if her plans might take a while so I don't know if I can wait for her, my health makes it imperative that I make a change soon.

And TrimT7, I'd read several of your posts in the past and it just seems to me you just seem to have this little complex that your opinion is the "authority" and apparently you derive some sense of self from having others think so but I'm just not impressed. If you take offense that I mentioned that the kids were black, well tough luck, I was just stating a fact but they could've been green for all I care, crime is crime. There are good and bad people in every color and race, and my children went to a mostly black high school so many of their friends were black but they were different. Next, presently Spencer is not good, but I already said that it was (and I loved it around there) when I first moved there but, of course, since that contradicts your "almighty" opinion it just cant' be true, right? LOL!

I am in reality thankful for my time here, it allowed me to be closer to my parents during the last few years of their life but they're now gone and my children are grown so my "mission" here has ended and now it's time to move on so I can have a better chance to recover my health. I've been pretty sick lately and even had to go to the ER 9 days ago so excuse me if right now I can't feel as positive as some of you would like me to be!

I get the same feedback, from the same people, every time I say anything remotely negative about the way I feel about being here. I have told the same people I have had a lot of good things down here, like where I am right now, like my job, I have done a lot in FL, but I no longer can deal witht the heat. Yet, as soon as I polst something about that, I even posted how it affects me health wise, I get blasted on, "how I knew what it was like before I moved", "how I look like a fool because I like the cold, and do not like the heat", and on and on. Then I am told "hot weather is better than the cold up north", yes true for the person telling my that, that is ther opinion, yet I must be told that 10 times a week. I forgot that I was supposed to feel that Florida is "paradise" just because I live here, and others who do think that way, well... I don't. Like I said, I live in a nice area, but that does not make me feel better about the heat. One size does not fit all, I agree. When I first moved here in 94' I loved it, it was the best decision I made, even though I only saw FL in pictures. Up until the last couple years I have enjoyed my ride in FL. I have just become so intolerant to the heat, it makes me irritable, so I come on CD sometimes and crab. I have been better lately, trying to ignore this heat...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 05:49 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,415,042 times
Hey, I'm right with ya. I'm a So. Fla native so I didn't have a choice as I was born here but I too am becoming intollerant of the never ending heat. I can deal with 80's, it's the 90+ temps that kill me. I frankly can't wait to leave and I won't be lookin back. Don't worry about the personal attacks, there's a contingent on here that despises any opinion that is not 100% pro So. Fla. I personally want to hear the good and the bad so I can make a well informed decision about where to relocate. Btw, I just saw a high crime rate list of U.S. cities on CD and WPB was in the top 20.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:06 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
Tampa area here - suburbs. Enjoying life. Beaches not too far away, major league professional sports available throughout the year (MLB, PGA, NFL, NHL - NBA close by in Orlando), arts/music cultural events (Florida Orchestra, art galleries). Golf courses everywhere.

Sure it's flatland - and hot and lots of lovebugs. But most places in the south/southwest and even later in the summer north will be hot after Memorial Day.

Happy to be here.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:01 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,916,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post
This is almost laughable...

First off, it's very presumptuous of several people here to believe they know me to be voicing opinions about me, and I think it's ridiculous that you're taking personal issue with how I feel about S. Fl and more specifically WPB as if you owned the place. Please remember that this is a public forum and that I'm entitled to my opinion like anyone else and the least you can do is grant me the courtesy of respecting my right (or anyone else's) to disagree without preaching at people.

I think some of you got a little confused here and misread the title of this thread, it's not "what do you like about your part of the state but what is it like, ok? There's a difference. It appears clear to me that you are the ones with some "issues" because perhaps you are subconsciously taking my opinion as a challenge to your judgment, but come on, you don't hae to take this so personally, that's petty and ridiculous. I know circumstances have a lot to do with how people perceive a place but also remember there is no "one-size-fits-all" and we don't all have to be happy in the same place, that's precisely why there are 50 states in this country, sheesh!

Prettygirl777, please learn not to interpret things your way, I never said I "hated" this place, only that it hasn't been good for me. I'd like to know what you know about me to feel sure I'm a negative person or that you can make a prediction about my future... I have absolutely no doubt that I will find a place that betters suits my needs because, actually, my requirements are not many like a see a lot more people in the forums of other states asking for. And, in fact, I've pretty much narrowed it down to one place so far, however, last night I talked to a friend who is thinking of buying a house in Tennesee and she thought it would be great if we could share the house but if her plans might take a while so I don't know if I can wait for her, my health makes it imperative that I make a change soon.

And TrimT7, I'd read several of your posts in the past and it just seems to me you just seem to have this little complex that your opinion is the "authority" and apparently you derive some sense of self from having others think so but I'm just not impressed. If you take offense that I mentioned that the kids were black, well tough luck, I was just stating a fact but they could've been green for all I care, crime is crime. There are good and bad people in every color and race, and my children went to a mostly black high school so many of their friends were black but they were different. Next, presently Spencer is not good, but I already said that it was (and I loved it around there) when I first moved there but, of course, since that contradicts your "almighty" opinion it just cant' be true, right? LOL!

I am in reality thankful for my time here, it allowed me to be closer to my parents during the last few years of their life but they're now gone and my children are grown so my "mission" here has ended and now it's time to move on so I can have a better chance to recover my health. I've been pretty sick lately and even had to go to the ER 9 days ago so excuse me if right now I can't feel as positive as some of you would like me to be!

On C-D, if you are talking about a crime, it's ok to say the suspect's white, but if black or hispanic, that's a big no-no.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
Hey, I'm right with ya. I'm a So. Fla native so I didn't have a choice as I was born here but I too am becoming intollerant of the never ending heat. I can deal with 80's, it's the 90+ temps that kill me. I frankly can't wait to leave and I won't be lookin back. Don't worry about the personal attacks, there's a contingent on here that despises any opinion that is not 100% pro So. Fla. I personally want to hear the good and the bad so I can make a well informed decision about where to relocate. Btw, I just saw a high crime rate list of U.S. cities on CD and WPB was in the top 20.

I find this to be pretty accurate too. I think the majority of the people who stick up for it are from NY. So I think they get the hot weather that they like much more than the cold, but they also by living in S FL feel like they are living in a tropical version of NY due to all the residents being from NY, and everything that comes along with it, good or bad.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:07 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Tampa area here - suburbs. Enjoying life. Beaches not too far away, major league professional sports available throughout the year (MLB, PGA, NFL, NHL - NBA close by in Orlando), arts/music cultural events (Florida Orchestra, art galleries). Golf courses everywhere.

Sure it's flatland - and hot and lots of lovebugs. But most places in the south/southwest and even later in the summer north will be hot after Memorial Day.

Happy to be here.
My sister lives in Appleton, WI, and it was in the mid 80's there yesterday, going to be the same today, basically the same weather as here in Sarasota. They had to turn on the AC. Same for Indiana where my in-laws live.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:06 PM

910 posts, read 2,293,070 times
Chris70 and ComSense:

Thank you for supporting me, even though I quickly dismiss ignorant comments like the ones I received from C-D's crop of bullies, it's good to know others feel the same way I do!

Y'know, heat is NOT new to me, I think I already mentioned I grew up in the tropics, but I never really liked it, it gets bothersome after a while. I can understand to an extent why transplants from the North are so enamored with FL because too much cold and lack of sun does make most people miserable and after 10 years in DE I was sick of the cold myself, but at the time weather was not my main consideration.

Also, I've lived in 4 other states (1st husband was in the military) spanning from 1976 to '96, and including both coasts and in-between, and I've visited several others, so I've experienced higher temps than here (over 100) so it's not like I need "educating". But the huge difference is that summers only last 3 months or little more (AND in many other states the NIGHTS are nice and cool most years), and you know that sooner or later it'll get cooler all day. I've always LOVED fall, when late September arrives I always miss the nice crisp breeze, the leaves turning colors, and taking a nice brisk walk in a park or riding my bike with the "just right" cool air on my face rather than getting drenched in sweat.
I can't say I like long winters either as I do not like any extremes in life anyway, but I know there are a few states with very mild winters and I can enjoy a few snow days if I have to. Let's not forget that it's always easier to dress up for the cold but even if you were allowed to strip naked on the street, over a certain temperature there's no way to feel comfortable when you're exerting yourself.

So, if the person researching FL doesn't mind the heat and the other things I mentioned, then chances are FL will be a fit for you. As for crime, yes it was a shock when I first arrived even watching the news because there was much less of it in DE (don't know how it's now!), especially in Dover where I lived last. But now, after having lived here I've gotten used to it to a great degree, obviously God has kept me and my children safe and I trust He will continue to do so wherever I go.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:24 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
On C-D, if you are talking about a crime, it's ok to say the suspect's white, but if black or hispanic, that's a big no-no.
I think you have that confused with local news media...

Old 05-26-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I think you have that confused with local news media...
Yup, local media does the same. I remember Orlando sentinel would run a story, and not even mention the suspect's race at times. But I traded the Orlando Sentinel in for the Asheville Citizen Times.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:06 PM

191 posts, read 632,772 times
Just hotter here a few more months and nice around November instead of snow and feezing cold up north..So i'll take it..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida