U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Do you feel comfortable letting your young child walk home from school or the bus?
Yes, it happens everywhere, so this incident does NOT make me think twice 11 29.73%
No, I will not let my child walk home from school, never have, never will. 21 56.76%
I used to be comfortable with it, but too many incidents have occured, so from now on, they will NOT walk home from school. 5 13.51%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-28-2009, 10:18 PM
 
1,468 posts, read 4,155,474 times
Reputation: 1071

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Exactly. No one wants to kidnap your kid... who wants that pain in the butt...


Seriously though, statistics show that person on person crime is way down from the 1950s and 1960s. (Not talking about things like drugs and other nonviolent crimes).

Your kids are safer nowadays then they were way back then.

if your one of those parents who doesnt allow them any independence, they are gonna be the kid who gets to college, spends all his money on drugs, rarely goes to class, and flunks out after freshman year....
In all seriousness, how do you arrive at those conclusions? Also, where do you get your statistics? It is also apples and oranges anyway. What you would allow your kids to do in a small rural town and what someone living on LA. would do have little to do with each other. I will stick with my original conclusion. You are just using allowing your kids excessive freedom more because it is convenient to you, not them. We see those parents on the news everyday. Being parents is just a job to them they would rather duck if they can so they rationalize their poor parenting with excuses.
Your logic reminds me of the parents who say they would rather let their children drink at home so they supply them with booze. Pretty strange. Even if they really believe in some perverse way they are right, I don't think I would be taking parenting advice from them.

Last edited by mango23; 10-28-2009 at 10:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-29-2009, 05:52 AM
 
Location: Arctic Tundra, MA
3,633 posts, read 8,512,809 times
Reputation: 1731
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Exactly. No one wants to kidnap your kid... who wants that pain in the butt...


Seriously though, statistics show that person on person crime is way down from the 1950s and 1960s. (Not talking about things like drugs and other nonviolent crimes).

Your kids are safer nowadays then they were way back then.

if your one of those parents who doesnt allow them any independence, they are gonna be the kid who gets to college, spends all his money on drugs, rarely goes to class, and flunks out after freshman year....
WHAT?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2009, 07:13 AM
 
Location: Atlanta/Tallahassee/Chicago/Lakeland
478 posts, read 892,953 times
Reputation: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Gyro View Post

So my question, again, to you is.. which state has seen more of these crimes than FL in the last few years?
The question is, have you heard about the state that have more crime? There are states that do but right now, Florida is the state on the news so naturally, people think Florida is the worst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2009, 07:49 AM
 
Location: Niceville, FL
7,647 posts, read 16,029,989 times
Reputation: 7633
Seriously. Kids are safer now.

Go look up the Atlanta child murders- 29 kids dead from a serial killer between 1979-81. Or John Wayne Gacy in the mid-late 70s. Randy Kraft in the same time period. We see nothing close to anything like that today.

Side thought: could you imagine CNN's coverage of that if something similar did happen in their own back yard in the age of 25 hour news channels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2009, 09:24 AM
 
1,468 posts, read 4,155,474 times
Reputation: 1071
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Seriously. Kids are safer now.

Go look up the Atlanta child murders- 29 kids dead from a serial killer between 1979-81. Or John Wayne Gacy in the mid-late 70s. Randy Kraft in the same time period. We see nothing close to anything like that today.

Side thought: could you imagine CNN's coverage of that if something similar did happen in their own back yard in the age of 25 hour news channels.
Would you say kids are safer today because of public awareness and not just letting kids run wild as was common in the past you point to? I think your comments just goes to augment the opinion that kids need to be protected. Assuming you are correct that kids are safer today it is not due to a change in atmosphere or less predators, but due to parents being more careful aware and in effect better parents.

Go back to the way it was in the days when I grew up where as a kid on a weekend I often left the house in the morning and didn't come home till late. We were off fishing or playing ball or just messing around. Either way no one called the cops all worried because we were gone all day, they had nothing to worry about, it was a different time.

To make the assertion kids are safer today is almost like joining the Flat Earth Society. Could you imagine John Wayne Gacy today with the internet, access to unlimited child pornography, email, chat rooms and so on. He would be off the air. In his day he only had access to his little world around him and the few children he came into personal contact with. Alive and active today, Gacy would be a monster beyond compare, not less dangerous as you seem to imply. What possibly leads you to that conclusion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2009, 10:12 AM
 
Location: Niceville, FL
7,647 posts, read 16,029,989 times
Reputation: 7633
Crime stats across the board are down since the 1970s, not just in kid-related numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2009, 10:56 AM
 
1,468 posts, read 4,155,474 times
Reputation: 1071
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Crime stats across the board are down since the 1970s, not just in kid-related numbers.
We are not discussing the stats but the reason behind them. Why are they down? It because people are more vigilant. The cell phone effect can not even be measured. Any suspicious person can be reported in seconds. Crimes are reported in seconds. Crimes are prevented a thousand times over just due to the cell phone. The poster I originally responded to made the contention that parents don't need to be more vigilant but should just let kids run wild and have their freedom. The statistic you point to if true, would drastically go the other way it we went back to the attitudes of the past. If your statistics is true it is directly due to the changes that have taken place not a change in crime in general. If you feel safer today is is not because there is less people out here looking to commit a crime against you, it is because you have armed yourself with abilities to keep yourself and you family safer. That can be nothing more the being better informed. They are still out there and will prey on the first east target. Don't make your children that easy target.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2009, 12:27 PM
 
Location: Niceville, FL
7,647 posts, read 16,029,989 times
Reputation: 7633
There's also significant statistical correlation between changes in family planning practices and decreases in crime rates over the past 30 years. Going further into that one is a political/social issues debate I don't want to get into right now, but that seems to be a real and strong relationship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2009, 02:35 PM
 
1,468 posts, read 4,155,474 times
Reputation: 1071
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
There's also significant statistical correlation between changes in family planning practices and decreases in crime rates over the past 30 years. Going further into that one is a political/social issues debate I don't want to get into right now, but that seems to be a real and strong relationship.
can you point me to what you are reading and where you have done your research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2011, 03:01 PM
 
7 posts, read 7,489 times
Reputation: 10
I live in Jacksonville, FL. We are a short 10 minute drive to Orange Park...... Needless to say, the Somer Thompson story hits home..... I can promise you I have cried more than once for this little girl, whom I don't even know. While my children never have and never will walk to or from school, it is a pure shame that they cannot due to my extreme fear.... My husband & I work hard to provide a safe, loving & comfortable environment for our children. We live in what you would call a "nice area". Unfortunately there are a high number of registered sex offenders/predators here. As there are just as many crimes against children. I am not bashing my home town. I understand our land mass is much greater than many other areas which explains the saturation of offenders here..... This technical fact does not ease my fears though. If I cannot allow my 12 & 5 year old to play together in the front yard for 5 minutes while I run in to get some soda, there is a HUGE problem. Until stricter penalties for crimes against children are implemented, these things will continue to happen....... My solution, go back to public executions. Hang them high in the street for all the people to see. Eliminate all the silly legal loop holes that allow these monsters to "get off" when in court. I am not referring to the 19 year old who dates a 16 year old & is forever labeled an offender. I am specifically referring to the violent monsters who hurt children. Just my two cents. Hope I did not offend anyone.

Please tell me that you aren't actually worried that you would "offend" someone by saying this...for the love of God...no apologies or explanation is necessary...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:38 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top