Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel comfortable letting your young child walk home from school or the bus?
Yes, it happens everywhere, so this incident does NOT make me think twice 11 29.73%
No, I will not let my child walk home from school, never have, never will. 21 56.76%
I used to be comfortable with it, but too many incidents have occured, so from now on, they will NOT walk home from school. 5 13.51%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 03:11 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,791,139 times

Advertisements

I'm not saying this doesn't happen here a little bit more than other places, and yes it likely has to do with the transient nature of the state, and being a newer sunbelt state, it's roots will take time to establish. Instead of sitting there and watching the news, why don't you organize a neighborhood watch? Or write a letter to your local law enforcement office? Commissioners? The issue in this state is the complete lack of activism, not lack of awareness. If anything, the people here seem to be hyper-aware of the issues, which are magnified, but the "run away" attitude is exactly why they exist more here in the first place. That's why I don't see how running to North Carolina is going to be a long term solution, when everyone else with that attitude is too.

And again, the population here is larger than all but three other states, so we are bound to get more coverage just for that reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 03:11 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,033,246 times
Hey Guitar Gyro, welcome back to the forums!! States like Florida, NY, CA, and TX will always get more coverage because they have higher populations. Abductions do happen in NC, just do a Google search, I don't like to put links about that stuff.

Old 10-21-2009, 03:29 PM

91 posts, read 182,723 times
Which state has received more coverage in the last 5 years? Or even come close?

BTW, I am part of neighborhood watch due to the incidents with property crime, etc. in our neighborhood. I also due charity work, so I think I do what I can. My question was what can we and the police do and will parents change their minds after all the recent coverage FL has received in the past few yrs?

Old 10-21-2009, 03:32 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,511,513 times
this happens everywhere Florida being the 4th largest state is bound to attract predators. I remember growning up in NJ and there was a predator who was abducting kids and chopping off their private parts and this was the late 70s!
My neices & nephews have walked home from school in groups or for the younger ones they have always been picked up. These cases are now more exposed than ever but I remember the only time you heard about a child abduction 20 years ago was when they were found already dead. We now have amber alerts and parents are more aware of what's going on. There are no more innocent days unfortunately.

Old 10-21-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Gyro View Post
My question was what can we and the police do and will parents change their minds after all the recent coverage FL has received in the past few yrs?
I answered the question, but you seemed to filibuster much of it. Interesting.

Old 10-21-2009, 03:35 PM

Sadly, a body has been found, possibly the little girl from FL.

Body found feared to be missing Florida girl Somer Thompson -- OrlandoSentinel.com

Old 10-21-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I answered the question, but you seemed to filibuster much of it. Interesting.
You answered my question about what other states have headlined these incidents more than FL? I missed it. Sweeping problems under the rug and talking about other states like NC doesnt help much. Ok, lets see what other have to say.

Old 10-21-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Gyro View Post
You answered my question about what other states have headlined these incidents more than FL? I missed it. Sweeping problems under the rug and talking about other states like NC doesnt help much. Ok, lets see what other have to say.
You would make a great attorney or Fox News talk show host.

Can't believe I'm doing this, but search away- http://www.amberalert.gov/

And here is a list of the states ranked by population.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._by_population

Are you going to stay on this point now?

Old 10-21-2009, 03:50 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,678,883 times
Unfortunatly things have changed since I was a kid. I would walk to school by my lonesome, but I refuse to let my older daughter walk by herself (my youngest is less than a year old). There's too many whack jobs out there!

Old 10-21-2009, 03:54 PM

FL ranks 4th in population. I'm very aware of that. I tooks stats in college, I am very aware of per capita blah blah blah, so naturally FL will have more cases than Wyoming, or should have twice as many as, your favorite state to criticize, NC. But I'm looking back the past 3-5 years, I'm remembering the headlines on CNN, etc... hell, I was in NC and heard more cases about abductions in FL than I did in NC and I was living in NC, and being fed local news everyday. And I keep remember hearing about the girl in Sarasota, the girl in Homosassa, and now Caley Anthony, and then Haliegh in Satsuma, and now, again, this story.

So my question, again, to you is.. which state has seen more of these crimes than FL in the last few years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida