Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 07:49 PM

23,510 posts, read 69,890,838 times

Advertisements

"Have any of you, who are unfamiliar with this state, and are looking to move here, had second thoughts after reading about the current wildfires ...?"

The bad part? I was on the phone just now and DW was talking outside and burned the peas. I kept talking because I thought it was just the smell from a north Florida wildfire that had worked its way down here.

Unless you live on the edge of civilization or are a total wuss, wildfires aren't anything more than a nusience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2007, 07:54 PM

217 posts, read 842,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceandreams94 View Post
And he wont give it a try? What are his reasons? Does he want you to just stay there with him?

No, he actually said I should go if I can get the job. I think half of his 'time alone' thing is rooted to his 'not wanting to hold me back' or 'make me go somewhere I don't want to' (because I said I'd consider moving wherever he wants to go); like he thinks I'm set on FL.

His reasons are that he doesn't think there's anything in FL for him; he doesn't do well with heat; doesn't really want much to do with beaches (which I argue is because he's only seen the beach in..maine I think it was? and didn't like it)...just generally doesn't see it as a place for him.

[and about two minutes ago I checked my voicemails and have a call from a hotel in boca...now I really don't know what to do......I mean, if I get this part time telecommuting thing, I can always pick up and go if I decide to, and the popular opinion (being that of friends who know us, etc) is that once I go he'll pull through and come down to FL til he decides where he does want to be...but I don't want to end up stuck there the same way I've been stuck in OH .]

Last edited by phoenixxphyre; 05-11-2007 at 08:12 PM..

Old 05-11-2007, 07:58 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,881,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
"Have any of you, who are unfamiliar with this state, and are looking to move here, had second thoughts after reading about the current wildfires ...?"

The bad part? I was on the phone just now and DW was talking outside and burned the peas. I kept talking because I thought it was just the smell from a north Florida wildfire that had worked its way down here.

Unless you live on the edge of civilization or are a total wuss, wildfires aren't anything more than a nusience.
I guess you have never seen a wildfire.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:04 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,881,997 times
Here's a link to what areas of Florida are dealing with fires.

http://www.fl-dof.com/wildfire2007/wildfire_map.html (broken link)

Old 05-11-2007, 08:34 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,315,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinegirl View Post
Have any of you, who are unfamiliar with this state, and are looking to move here, had second thoughts after reading about the current wildfires and now a tropical storm?
Well, it isn't the wildfire or the tropical storm that make me think twice about moving to Fla. I live in the upper midwest so I'm used to dealing with extremely windy days, fires out in the Hills, horrific snowstorms and not to mention that I live in "tornado alley". We have lower humidity then Fla. does, but we can get many summer days that are well over 100.

But I often have second thoughts about it. I don't like gators or crocs. I love the beach, but couldn't live near it just out of fear of a cane or a tsunami. My DH isn't actually sold on Fla. either. Some of the things that concern me~the areas that have jobs have very expensive apartments. And the areas that have reasonably priced apartments have no jobs. I've been keeping an eye on Fla. for quite some time now and it looks like it's really hard to find a full time job with benefits. I love the palm trees and the beaches and the warmth, but I often wonder if it's not just a bit over priced.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:32 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,151,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
But I often have second thoughts about it. I don't like gators or crocs.

These days, you'd have to go look for a gator! There's so much new construction & so much drought. Even the guides in the Everglades are losing business, they can't find the wildlife the tourists are paying to see!

Old 05-11-2007, 11:20 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,333,293 times
Quote:
Well, it isn't the wildfire or the tropical storm that make me think twice about moving to Fla. I live in the upper midwest so I'm used to dealing with extremely windy days, fires out in the Hills, horrific snowstorms and not to mention that I live in "tornado alley". We have lower humidity then Fla. does, but we can get many summer days that are well over 100.

But I often have second thoughts about it. I don't like gators or crocs. I love the beach, but couldn't live near it just out of fear of a cane or a tsunami. My DH isn't actually sold on Fla. either. Some of the things that concern me~the areas that have jobs have very expensive apartments. And the areas that have reasonably priced apartments have no jobs. I've been keeping an eye on Fla. for quite some time now and it looks like it's really hard to find a full time job with benefits. I love the palm trees and the beaches and the warmth, but I often wonder if it's not just a bit over priced.
Oh Jammie, I wish I could assure you these things you're concerned about: alligators, hurricanes, tsunamis (whaaaaat?! ).....these are not day-to-day concerns for Floridians....really and truly they are not.

If I want to see an alligator, I need to drive an hour south to the 'Alligator Farm" in St. Augustine and pay admission. Sure, they're out here somewhere - and trust me, I'm looking - I'd love to see one in the wild - but unless you're kayacking through the preserves, you're unlikely to run into one...at least in NE FL. I have 3 lakes in my neighborhood and we have no reports of any gator sightings - if they are there, they are well hidden.

Riding out a hurricane can be very scary indeed, but you know what? You don't have to stay around for it. There is plenty of time to plan - days and days - you can book a hotel and get out of town if you want, plenty of people do it, it's easier on their nerves. Some of the posters would have you believe we have a hurricane a day, but it's just not that way. Some years, we barely hear a hurricane peep at all (very small storms).

Be more fearful of jobs for sure, but even with jobs, you just need the right location. I would say DON'T go to where the retirees go if you need to work, go to the cities where the other professionals are.

Old 05-12-2007, 03:04 AM

18 posts, read 59,035 times
I live in south FL and we are having more smoke blown here this year than what I recall in years past. Once the wind direction changes the blue sky will be visible again, and rainy season should be around the corner, hopefully. I also don't worry about alligators however it's been said that most bodies of water in FL have alligators living in them. I have seen them in the wild in the Everglades, not otherwise. Certainly worrying about hurricanes is not something we do daily; personally, I'm more scared of tornados than hurricanes. In my opinion, the weather forecasters have been doing a fabulous job of predicting the tracks of tropical storms and hurricanes and I think that a newcomer would do well to pay attention to what the forecasters say and do what they say to do. Get ready with emergency supplies early in the season, and if you're in the "cone" make sure you're prepared. While they can't pinpoint exactly where a storm will make landfall, everyone in the cone should be prepared! You can get a list of emergency supplies you need to have at every grocery store during the 6 mo hurricane season, not to mention in the newspapers, and on TV. Make sure you have insurance to cover any loses, no matter where you live. I lost almost everything I owned in 1992 during Hurricane Andrew and thanked my lucky stars for my home owners insurance. Hurricanes can be scary, but direct hits are moreso; remember most people do NOT get those direct hits. Jobs and things that go with them, like health insurance, are more important to worry about. The most lovely places also tend to be the most expensive. Take the Keys for example; many folks in Key West work 2 jobs in order to live there, but they do it because they love it there. Living closer to the beach is going to be more expensive, but also more fun, than living inland, unless you live in/around a place like Orlando or a college town. In south FL you practically can't get a job doing anything unless you speak Spanish too, so be prepared for that. I think that's less of a problem in other parts of FL, at least for now...

Old 05-12-2007, 08:47 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,366,114 times
Quote:
We had an alligator in the canal down the street last year. The county wouldn't remove it because it didn't threatened anyone/anything. It finally moved on, but we still don't walk our dogs near the canal today. They are around, but you don't see them on a daily basis, unless one is living in the lake or canal behind your home. I have seen a Crocodile once, just south of Miami Beach on an private residents club island. The Crocodile beached itself there for a little while. It finally left after a few hours...but this was just across from South Beach, crazy! Sharks are probably more common than alligator attacks on humans. In 2006, Florida was again the world shark attack capital with 23 attacks, but the state was well below the annual average of 33 between 2000 and 2003. I would of thought Cali or Hawaii would of gotten the honor.

As far as costs of living and job locations, you need to way everything. Calcuate everything, commute time in the car to work, property taxes, HOI, car insurance, etc. as prices vary across the state. Jacksonville is cheaper than Miami for instance. Miami was just ranked by Forbes as the #2 Most Over Priced Real Estate Market. But Gainsville Florida was ranked best placed to live in the U.S. So there are different places in the state. Have you thought about North/South Carolina?

Old 05-12-2007, 09:43 AM

541 posts, read 1,987,917 times
We have gators in most of the lakes in Celebration. Disney even has them in the Magic Kingdom waterways (they take them out when they get big.) We see them all the time in Central Florida. Once I saw a huge one in someones side yard here! I have also seen Caymans in our lakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida