Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 06:28 AM

55 posts, read 286,602 times

Advertisements

We are new to the renting scene, so I'm trying to get a sense of how negotiable rents are.
We have a fairly large family so houses in our size don't come available in the area we are looking very often, so when one does we really want it
Am I being a sucker if I pay the asking rent, or is it understood as in buying a house that the asking price will be discounted? If so what is that discount roughly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 07:18 AM

63 posts, read 263,339 times
I understand your dilema, as we are seriously looking into the rent scene as well. We are looking in the WPB area and possibly Melbourne. Where are you looking to rent? We are a family of five so we too need a larger home. I would imagine with the market the way it is anything is negotiable now. It would also depend on the cirrcumstances of the landlord, but I truly believe any reasonable offer would not be refused. Hope to hear more on the topic, hopefully from those in the area and especially those who have rented or are looking to rent their home. Take care.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:22 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
I know you can and should ask if the rent prices can be different. I rented out a property in 7 Oaks and the renter asked me if he could rent without a washer/dryer and fridgerator and we agreed on a lower price. The renter found my house on ephizz.com and I know a landlord who is trying to have his house rented and is willing to go lower than the $ 1,300 he is asking for the rent.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:22 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,189,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killaloe View Post
We are new to the renting scene, so I'm trying to get a sense of how negotiable rents are.
We have a fairly large family so houses in our size don't come available in the area we are looking very often, so when one does we really want it
Am I being a sucker if I pay the asking rent, or is it understood as in buying a house that the asking price will be discounted? If so what is that discount roughly?
The rent is the rent and unless there is something really wrong with the place you better make up your mind because there is someone right behind you to rent it. It's not like selling a house where you hope someone will want your place. They begin calling at 6 in the morining the day the ad comes out.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:33 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,370,597 times
The only time I see an incentive is if you offer to pay the rent one year in advance or 6 months in advance. Since most people are not in the position to do so, you can always ask if there are any discounts but don't expect one.

The south Florida area has a shortage of rental apartments. Houses are another issue given there are so many on the market. With so many homes on the market, some homeowners are considering renting.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:07 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
Expect rents to come down in the comming years as condo flippers get very desperate. Home rents will not go down much if at all, but it all depends how much the values drop.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:25 AM

460 posts, read 2,343,829 times
Hello, we have noticed in our search for a home to rent that most owners wont come down much. We are a family of 5 as well so we need a 4 bedroom home. But its hard to find one for a good price...

jen

Old 05-10-2007, 08:44 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceandreams94 View Post
Hello, we have noticed in our search for a home to rent that most owners wont come down much. We are a family of 5 as well so we need a 4 bedroom home. But its hard to find one for a good price...

jen
Rent is rent...and near the water, or a desireable section of anytown, Florida landlords have no reason to be negotiable....when I rented my 1/1, there were 3 people behind me waiting for the word....if I'd a been 2nd showing, I'd be done....

Old 05-10-2007, 09:25 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,188,410 times
I guess I'll be the odd man out on this one. First, let me state that I'm talking about Orlando.

People who've been here and know the real estate market also know the rental market. Basically, landlords are going to be renting their units for about the same rate in a given area based on square feet. A little less for older places, a little more for newer units in good condition. Right now no one who has purchased their investment rental in the last 3 years is covering their mortgage with rental payments. This tells you the market is soft on rental SF homes and condos. If the market is soft, then some people will be more desperate than others to get some rent in. This means that YES, rents are negotiable right now, if someone is on the higher side of the spectrum for what he's trying to rent out.

Basically what I'm saying is that the presure is downward, not upward - more or less a renter's market.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:35 AM

55 posts, read 286,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
I guess I'll be the odd man out on this one. First, let me state that I'm talking about Orlando.

People who've been here and know the real estate market also know the rental market. Basically, landlords are going to be renting their units for about the same rate in a given area based on square feet. A little less for older places, a little more for newer units in good condition. Right now no one who has purchased their investment rental in the last 3 years is covering their mortgage with rental payments. This tells you the market is soft on rental SF homes and condos. If the market is soft, then some people will be more desperate than others to get some rent in. This means that YES, rents are negotiable right now, if someone is on the higher side of the spectrum for what he's trying to rent out.

Basically what I'm saying is that the presure is downward, not upward - more or less a renter's market.
That is what I would think too...that downward pressure in the property market would put downward pressure on rent. However I'm not really seeing that (Sarasota). Also not seeing a huge amount for rent either...maybe when the snowbirds clear out that will change.

Thank you to everyone for their input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida