U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2009, 07:48 AM

15 posts, read 37,880 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone...

I would appreciate some info on which city would be ideal to live for a small family (two kids, 11 and 9 years old), my wife is a dentist.
I would like some suggestions on schools for kids, sports, close to the coast (I am a diver and would like to continue diving)...

Looking to rent at first and then buy a house, nothing expensive nor cheap.

I have been reading about Treasure Coast and Space Coast, but any suggestion will be highly appretiated.

Main situation here, I lived in Texas about 25 years ago for almost 4 years, I´m from South America, and been spanish speaking, had very few peroblems with that. I came to U.S. to study and took your customs and way of living (which by the way I love), but I am not the latin american type of people who likes to get noisy or abbusive, I am just trying to run away from that. My wife understand some english but my kids are just starting to learn it. Where would I find schools for kids with English as second language? Where are the places where americans would not be rude to foreigners?

By the way we are german and italian descendants, so we do not have the looks of common latin americans (that is not a problem here, but just in case).

I understand that U.S. citizens are bothered by the high amount of latin americans coming to your country, but do not adapt to the american way of living and want to impose their language and customs, but I feel otherwise. If I move to the U.S. (legally that is, just waiting for my green card) I want my kids to speak English, and to learn to live the american way.

Thanks again.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 08:12 AM

17,288 posts, read 27,023,260 times
Expand your search to Northern Palm Beach County - Jupiter, Palm Beach Gardens, which is just south of the Treasure Coast. I don't know what your price range is, but you can find all sorts of housing options because of the depressed housing market.

Southern Florida has many many European descent Latin Americans from South America --- which means they are very different from Latin Americans in the SW United States, which are mostly Mexican/Mestizo. There are alllll kinds of Latin Americans in the Southern part of the state, but if you go TOO far South (Miami), you'll feel like you're back in South America, and your kids won't get a traditional American upbringing.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:32 AM

15 posts, read 37,880 times
Thanks TriMT7, that is exactly what I`m looking for...

We have the same customs as in USA, and I don`t wannt my kids to grow up any other than the traditional american way of life. I even have them in english courses, I we are going to USA we are going to speak English, not the other way around.

Not that I despise or reject latin americans, as that is my family root, but I don`t like going to other places and make them feel like they are thew one out of place, as I know happens in SW Florida, for what I have read here and heard from other american friends.

I made many american friens when I lived in Texas, but as I said, I am a diver and love it as much as I love the sea, and would like to live in a place where I can get on with diving, and Florida is the best place in the US.

What about for raising my kids? Treasure Coast? Space Coast?

Old 11-08-2009, 10:52 AM

17,288 posts, read 27,023,260 times
I know the Treasure Coast is known for diving, and the water off of places like Juno Beach in Palm Beach County (Gold Coast) are spectacular.

Miguel, check out the following cities in particular, which are known for families, good schools, low crime, and access to good diving (in no particular order):

1) Jupiter
2) Tequesta
3) Palm Beach Gardens
4) Palm City
5) Stuart
6) Hobe Sound
7) Jensen Beach
8) Port St. Lucie

I honestly don't know enough about the Space Coast, though i had a friend in college who grew up in Rockledge and like it.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:23 PM

8,376 posts, read 28,746,475 times
I would personally look into Weston. Although nearly half of the population is Hispanic, these families are coming from backgrounds that are similar to yours. First generation children assimilate here without difficulty, but having the large population of Latin Americans with a similar attitude should make the transition that much easier. The schools are top rated and the crime rate is one of the lowest in the US, and by and far the lowest for a community of it's size in Florida.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:30 PM

41 posts, read 161,178 times
I would like to put in a recommendation for the Florida Keys if you like to dive. I teach at the local school in Key Largo and we have a wonderful mix of people from all over the United States and the world. Our Spanish speakers are mainly Cuban, but I have students from South America and Central America. Even though pricing may be higher than other areas, it is discounted right now. The main issue is always jobs, which are hard to come by right now. Other than that, I would suggest you give us a visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida