U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 04:25 PM

9,324 posts, read 22,737,405 times

Advertisements

Just goes to show that high priced areas are no better than anywhere else. A friend of mine lives in Opa-Locka which is da hood and never has anything stolen. Also know someone in Biscayne Gardens who has never been broken into but did lose a weed eater 10 years ago from his front yard because he had to use the toilet. Another friend who lives in the Redlands has constant problems with thieves breaking in his garage, shed and nursery and has been the target of a home invasion. Luckily the crooks had trouble kicking in the door ( we built the front doors) and ran away quickly when him and his son started firing at them. When the economy totally crashes and the dollar becomes worthless anyone who looks affluent will be a target I have only been targeted once and I scared the criminal(s) off by firing back as well. Thankfully my home looks keys conch poor and there is nothing of value here easy to steal. Remember in Florida you are protected by a "castle law" and can defend yourself against violent crime. When there was a rash of bicycle theft here I helped a friend by placing his new bicycle with an aircraft cable hidden attached to the frame. A stupid kid tried to steal it and only got as far as the street before the cable went taut and he fell off. Never had that problem again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 05:21 PM

8,965 posts, read 5,241,824 times
Sorry to hear about that Mango23.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:47 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,517,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
Well we have been robbed again.

I live in Fort Lauderdale by the way near the beach. Not exactly a ghetto. My neighbor lost her new car about a month ago. I have had four bikes stolen since the first of the year about $2000.00 worth. Yard tools and screens cut as someone tried to get in about two months ago. Here is the thing I carry a gun as does my wife. It is a matter of time before I kill someone. At some point It will happen when I am here. As you can tell I am angry as I am writing this. I really can't stand it anymore.
I am sorry for your situation and I would love see you install cameras on a few sections of your home. Warning signs are necessary, of course, in Spanish and English along with movement lights for night times. Very easy installation and an inexpensive alarm system.

I like to carry a weapon legally. I do go to the range to practice every month and I am an excellent shot with a rifle and handgun and have a stungun... I thank potential criminals they have never come inside my home that would enduce me to use a force that would stop them in their tracks. Some people like myuself believe deadly force is in order but that would be my second choice. I feel no remorse to use deadly force if someone comes into our home illegally. I have a permit to carry a weapon and I do. No one is allowed on my property without a vaid ID badge regardless of what they do. If I see them without a badge I ask them for one and if not they are gone......

We are not paranoid but we do have live cameras hidden on 2 corners of our home that run 24/7 to an undisclosed recording location. I recently installed an in home camera that also runs 24/7 and I can access it remotely. State of the art electronics some say but I am a Vietnam Veteran who has been wounded several times in combat and find it necessary to be alert and be aware of our surroundings all the time.

We need to protect our families from invading home preditors.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:08 PM

3,905 posts, read 9,863,148 times
So sorry to hear about it...this is just awful. I hope they are caught. We were robbed years ago and I still remember how violated I felt. I still feel empty because the thugs took my Great Grandfather's Civil War pistol which can never be replaced.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:30 PM

8,965 posts, read 5,241,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy1 View Post
I am sorry for your situation and I would love see you install cameras on a few sections of your home. Warning signs are necessary, of course, in Spanish and English along with movement lights for night times. Very easy installation and an inexpensive alarm system.

I like to carry a weapon legally. I do go to the range to practice every month and I am an excellent shot with a rifle and handgun and have a stungun... I thank potential criminals they have never come inside my home that would enduce me to use a force that would stop them in their tracks. Some people like myuself believe deadly force is in order but that would be my second choice. I feel no remorse to use deadly force if someone comes into our home illegally. I have a permit to carry a weapon and I do. No one is allowed on my property without a vaid ID badge regardless of what they do. If I see them without a badge I ask them for one and if not they are gone......

We are not paranoid but we do have live cameras hidden on 2 corners of our home that run 24/7 to an undisclosed recording location. I recently installed an in home camera that also runs 24/7 and I can access it remotely. State of the art electronics some say but I am a Vietnam Veteran who has been wounded several times in combat and find it necessary to be alert and be aware of our surroundings all the time.

No offense to you or anyone else who has cameras around their FL home, but I just think that is sad to feel the need to install cameras). I have a couple neighbors (one was necessary to have installed) but I have seen houses with cameras on them in my area and I think it's kind of depressing. The only other place other than FL that I have seen cameras on houses is on MTV Cribs and the wannabe gangstas on MTV Cribs that think they need added security around their house.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:34 PM

1,468 posts, read 3,950,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy1 View Post

I have thought about cameras but it would seem having them hidden would not be a deterrent. I don't want a picture of me being ripped off, I want it to stop. I know what you mean about people on the property but people do come on the property. Just last week they were trimming trees in the area contracted by the city. You have to let them on the property. At the "END" of hurricanes season by the way, big help. One guy actually asked me about the property and who lived in the buildings as he poked around. I told him they don't rent them out. I look like a biker with my long hair and beard and assume he thought I did the yard work or something.

There are some pros out there, more then people would think. My other house got broke into once when I left in the car. I had to come back because I forgot something and found the door broken open. As I walked in I heard a noise in the back as the guy was going out a back window. Here is the thing, I didn't make a sound coming in and the car was out by the street. I can only figure there was a look out with a cell phone, because he was on his way out almost before I was even in the house. He could never have heard me. I found money laying on the bed he didn't even take because he ran out so quick. I give up, I am tired and just don't want to live like this anymore. The problem is I have been saying that for years. I need to just move and not think I have to find the perfect place. Anything is better then this.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:51 PM

1,592 posts, read 2,915,593 times
Cops say the best deterrent against crime is a dog. So, do you have one?

Also, ever been to Latin America? There, your wooden fence would be replaced by a tall concrete wall with sharp broken glass cemented on top. Something to think about...

Old 11-09-2009, 11:17 PM

9,324 posts, read 22,737,405 times
My cameras are artfully hidden in trees and on the house and sheds. The cameras are mainly to avoid lawsuits but also so to see if someone in the yard is friend or foe. The motion sensing feature even calls me when an intruder is present. Gives me plenty of time to load and wait for the criminals. On another side the same kind of system allows me to view my parents home online and caught county employees dumping in front of their home and writing citations for it.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:58 AM

5,832 posts, read 9,738,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
Cops say the best deterrent against crime is a dog. So, do you have one?

Also, ever been to Latin America? There, your wooden fence would be replaced by a tall concrete wall with sharp broken glass cemented on top. Something to think about...
When I first went to a Latin American country and saw the tall concrete walls you describe, it was something to think about. When someone I know came to the US for the first time, the absence of such walls for that person was something to think about.

Now that I have extensive experience in such Latin American country, the walls are part of daily life and the absence of them seems abnormal.

As for the US, it used to be walled borders (so to speak) and open property, now it is open borders and, I expect going forward, walled property.

The Roman Empire/Europe went through a similar transition years ago.

Something to think about.

Maybe I will get a dog.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:57 AM

9,706 posts, read 12,585,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
I have thought about cameras but it would seem having them hidden would not be a deterrent. I don't want a picture of me being ripped off, I want it to stop. I know what you mean about people on the property but people do come on the property. Just last week they were trimming trees in the area contracted by the city. You have to let them on the property. At the "END" of hurricanes season by the way, big help. One guy actually asked me about the property and who lived in the buildings as he poked around. I told him they don't rent them out. I look like a biker with my long hair and beard and assume he thought I did the yard work or something.

There are some pros out there, more then people would think. My other house got broke into once when I left in the car. I had to come back because I forgot something and found the door broken open. As I walked in I heard a noise in the back as the guy was going out a back window. Here is the thing, I didn't make a sound coming in and the car was out by the street. I can only figure there was a look out with a cell phone, because he was on his way out almost before I was even in the house. He could never have heard me. I found money laying on the bed he didn't even take because he ran out so quick. I give up, I am tired and just don't want to live like this anymore. The problem is I have been saying that for years. I need to just move and not think I have to find the perfect place. Anything is better then this.
No offense, but I live in Los Angeles and this is what I think about what you've said so far: Really sophisticated criminals are going to wonder what you are protecting.

Thieves want cash, jewelry, guns and drugs. Only stupid petty theives steal things like bikes and stuff like that. It might even be a kid who stole your bike because that is an item a kid would want. (NEVER ever ever shoot at a kid for stealing something like a bike! You are looking at a world of grief if you do that.) Kids also watch YouTube and have BIC pens. The fact one could pick your lock isn't surprising. Kids have all the time in the world to figure out these things.

I think you should move too. Life is too short to live in fear like you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or