Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 02:34 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,457,397 times

Advertisements

So how did those in Idas path do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 06:03 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,772,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Well you are going to get a mid hurricane tonight, probably a tropical storm. Yes we stayed in our home during Andrew which my parents built, so he had it built right. Yes my sister and Dad did venture out during the eye of the hurricane to move a car, but not during the hurricane. I have been out during a Cat 1 hurricane, to take photos but that isn't very smart. Experience wise, its a long story... its scary and it sounds like a freight train is outside your house literally, you can hear things hitting the house, no power, only the radio and flash lights. Just stay safe tonight and the next few days please.
The tropical storm passed thru about midnight last night and it
didnt even wake me up. I dont think we had the 5" of rain predicted . I think i got off easy.

Im curious to know how much time elapses when in the eye of a hurricane, and, how quiet is it during that time period ? Thanks.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:56 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
didnt even wake me up. I dont think we had the 5" of rain predicted . I think i got off easy.

Im curious to know how much time elapses when in the eye of a hurricane, and, how quiet is it during that time period ? Thanks.
Once again, it depends. How big is the eye? How fast is the storm moving?

It is usually very quiet during that time period. The quieter, the worse the storm. You see, if there is a "ragged" eye, then the storm is not very well formed or falling apart. The less organized, the lower the category. A nice clean eye means that it is very, very bad.

I am so glad that Ida turned out to be not much of a problem. It sure sent a lot of rain my way for my birthday, though.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:02 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,683,101 times
Quote:

It's pretty quiet during the eye of a hurricane. When I went through Andrew I had the idiotic idea of going out during the eye. We lived in a townhouse with parking right out front and I had just walked past the end of my car when the storm whipped up again and I swear I thought I would die. I had to pull myself back towards the door by grabbing onto the side of the car ( thank God for handles) and it felt like an hour before I was back inside the house. Someone took a pic of me right after and I look like I had a facelife my skin was pulled back so tight. One of the scariest moments of my life. So take a lesson folks, do not go out in the eye of a hurricane. It's not only dumb but incredibly dangerous.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:34 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,457,397 times
Quote:

Good to hear, like others have already explained, its different for each storm, so no real answer to give.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:43 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,129,761 times
Quote:
Moved here last March and have always wanted to get a Cat. 1 Hurricane under my belt ; this Tropical Storm Ida is going to be just under Hurricane status but im sure it will give me a taste of what to expect down the road. Fortunately, Im 40 minutes inland but wind gusts are supposed to be 70 mph for me with 5" of rain overnight and tomorrow.

Theres an evacuation notice for low lying areas along the Emerald Coast as the storm surge is supposed to be 3-6' .

Landfall is supposed to be 7 a.m. tomorrow morning. Finally, a bit of excitement .

Out of curiosity, has anyone stuck around for a Cat. 4 or higher Hurricane ? If so, which one and was it exciting ?!

Ida is not a major storm. It rained a lot. Big deal.

And as someone who has worked for years helping this state recover from the hurricanes of 04-05, let me say to you that I damn sure hope you don't get the excitement you are asking for.

This state cannot afford it. Go ride a roller coaster or something.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:44 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,129,761 times
Quote:
Did you actually stay in your house during Hurricane Andrew ? Or , did you go to a shelter ? During the brunt of the storm , did you venture outside just to see what it was like ? Can you tell me what you experienced during that Storm wherever you were taking refuge ? Id really like to know.

I didnt mean to make light of Hurricanes , but, this is something very new to me and Id like to experience a mild Hurricane if there is such a thing. Thanks.

No, you really don't want to know. Stop wishing death and misfortune on other people already.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:33 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,772,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
No, you really don't want to know. Stop wishing death and misfortune on other people already.
Youve totally made a strawman arguement out of my original post . I never once said i wish death and misfortune on others . That is disengenuous of you to play that card. To reiterate....Id like to experience a Cat. 1 Hurricane that does not harm anyone physically if this were possible. And i believe it is and has been . Im going to unsubscribe because of the unnecessary hostility and vitrol. End.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:00 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Please don't think TS 'Ida' was anything like a real hurricane. I remember laying on my bed in the dark during Ivan listening to trees snapping outside and waiting for my roof to blow off, it wasn't a pleasant experience. Ida was nothing more than a thunderstorm compared to Ivan.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:05 PM

10 posts, read 17,277 times
so... hope everything turned out safe for you. I parked my motorcycle at my late mothers old house for protection and hit the road for the spirit of the suannee music park in live oak. aside from having to turn the heat on all was well. we arrived there on thursday eve and left monday mid day. just remember that when they tell you to leave ,LEAVE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida