Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2012, 02:39 PM

2 posts, read 2,450 times

Advertisements

Hello all, first timer here. I am born and raised a New Englander and although I've experienced the charm of Cape Cod, the beauty of a first snowfall, Maine lobster and great seafood, beaches, the mountains of New Hampshire and intense pro sports, I *think* I am ready for a change. I'm on my own, no family to keep me here, yet it's scary to think of moving so far away. I almost did it once and chickened out but I don't want to look back with regrets of not experiencing life in another, much warmer, state.

Anyway, I LOVE the beach whether it's at night, cold, warm, sunrises and sunsets, the sound of the ocean and palm trees so my dream is to live very close to the ocean. I will be renting so real estate is not a huge concern. The only other wish is to be within a reasonable driving distance to Tallahassee because my best friend from childhood lives there with her husband.

I am a bit overwhelmed with so many areas to look at that I would love some suggestions from people who live in coastal areas. I'm spoiled in some ways that I am so close to so much convenience up here that I don't want to live in too remote of a location yet being in my 40's, I don't need to live in a party town either. I would also like to be somewhat close to wherever there is work to be found (I am a corporate 9 to 5'er so large companies within a 30 mile radius would be great)

I love the outdoors and am very active so great parks and/or recreational facilities would be a plus.

Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 06:39 AM

27,087 posts, read 43,759,744 times
You'll want to stick to the Panama City/Panama City Beach area as it has enough to do that you won't be bored plus a more diverse population where you won't feel like an outsider. The only other choice if it's not too far (3 hours versus Panama City's 2 hours) is Pensacola which would be the better option overall in my opinion, especially in terms of work options.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:46 AM

2 posts, read 2,450 times
I will have to check out that area when I'm down there visiting. I suggested to my friend that we stay over night to check out there and Destin, both places look beautiful.

Thank you for the suggestion. Right now, I drive an hour to get to work and trust me, I'm not high level salary, but the ride isn't bad and I've gotten used to it so even if I were to live in Panama City and commuted to Pensacola, I don't think it would be that bad, hopefully?

I'm not sure what age bracket you're in but wondering if you know about the local recrational sports...how big is softball down there? I play competitively and hoping to continue playing wherever I end up.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:12 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,793,432 times
If you're suggesting Panama City/PCB as a relocation spot, it's because you want the person asking to actively hate the place. Still a pit annually overrun by college spring breakers in a lot of ways. And not much in the way of professional jobs.

Destin-Ft. Walton Beach is roughly two parts military and military-related to one part tourism. Pretty high number of folks whose jobs involve high tech military research, the destails of which are highly classified. The DoD money has left it the most affluent spot in the Panhandle for permanent residents.

Penscaola's still fairly tourism and military driven, but the local economy is a little more diverse, and I've heard good things about working at Navy Federal Credit Union.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:00 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,134,909 times
I would suggest Apalachicola, Its a very cute, quaint town about 1.5 hours away on the coast.

Possibly Alligator Point.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:01 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,134,909 times
Or St George Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida