Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 11:15 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,765,136 times

Advertisements

Smart man - I just responded to a post you sent me yesterday - we were mixed up all over the place LOL - it is so difficult to tell someones tone over these things - but just to clear that up - you know I love ya!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 12:37 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,377,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Smart man - I just responded to a post you sent me yesterday - we were mixed up all over the place LOL - it is so difficult to tell someones tone over these things - but just to clear that up - you know I love ya!
Yep same here

this is why I HATE that my sons Texts, what happened to picking up the phone...LOL he is going to be 14...

Old 03-17-2009, 12:41 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,765,136 times
He's practically a man - LOL - my boys are 10 and 7 - translation 20 and 17 at least that is what they would like to think LOL.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:13 PM

11 posts, read 27,382 times
Jacksonville is a great place to raise a family. I moved from the north and love it here.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:48 PM

343 posts, read 1,045,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moesobo View Post
Jacksonville is a great place to raise a family. I moved from the north and love it here.
haha wow. Yeah, it's great. Just don't go outside at night. Or downtown at any time.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,058 times
Thumbs down Escape from Florida

We spend summers in Virginia to escape from the Florida heat. I thank God daily for this blessing. In the Virginia community we visit. Everyone waves as you drive down the street, if a person is mowing their lawn and you drive by (as a stranger) they ALWAYS through up a hand smile and wave, when we go to the market everyone smiles or stops to speak to my children, they engage in friendly conversation with them and myself, at a drive thru restaurant the teenagers actually ask you(the middle aged mom) how you are doing today and if you say not too good they will listen with a care in their heart, at the grocery store the cashiers and bag boys are teenagers not old folks and they are super smart and friendly, when we go to the public pool the local kids are kind natured and friendly to each other and welcome a new face, when we go to church people are friendlier than our church in Florida esp. to my kids, the air is fresh, the breeze is cool (in the Mts.), people are happy and it reminds me of how life can be when you leave Florida! I hope one day we can move there forever and believe me I will never look back to the South except with sorrow for the children who as exposed to it's harsh, hot, modern cold natured ways and will be forever tainted. Too many FUBARs in Fla!
And we homeschool because we feel we have no choice and are lucky enough to be able to. God bless America...
We live in a rural area ouside of Ocala. Maybe other parts of Florida differ from our experience. Ours is the PITS.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:19 AM

11 posts, read 44,480 times
Is there anyone who LOVES their kids' experience in a gifted program? Right now I have an underachieving 6th grade girl, whom I think would do well in a magnet school/arts school. She's (I know I'll get flack for this) in the upper 1% for IQ, and has tested at college level, but is getting slack b's in school. She thinks its dumb. I hope we having completely killed her thirst for knowledge. Homeschool is not option for her. Would love to hear positive thoughts on magnet schools down there. We are in PA right now and considering move. (husband is family doc, so job prospects are good) Next kid is A+ student, who skipped 3rd grade and is now in 4th. She's a math/computer kid, who is a good reader too, and would like to know if anyone has had positive stuff with regards to magnet/gifted opportunities for this kind of learner.
Thoughts?
And PA, while there are many outstanding districts, we are not in one of them. Ours is "eh," but in Southeast PA, we cannot afford to move to any better district that might be more academically challenging. Unless we would move to a tiny apartment. Our house was 400K, in a better district around here would be 700 - 800K. HA! That is impossible for us.
Thanks, sorry for ramble.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:32 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Default Sounds like Tennessee!

Sounds just like Tennessee! This is a wonderful place to raise children!

I lived most of my life in the northeast, ten long years in Florida and going on four in Knoxville. You can have Florida. I don't know if all of Florida is horrible, but Orlando, Bonita Springs and Fort Myers were a nightmare. I refuse to go back even for a visit to Disney or family. I told our daughter that she is forbidden to go there, even when she is an adult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nki2000 View Post
We spend summers in Virginia to escape from the Florida heat. I thank God daily for this blessing. In the Virginia community we visit. Everyone waves as you drive down the street, if a person is mowing their lawn and you drive by (as a stranger) they ALWAYS through up a hand smile and wave, when we go to the market everyone smiles or stops to speak to my children, they engage in friendly conversation with them and myself, at a drive thru restaurant the teenagers actually ask you(the middle aged mom) how you are doing today and if you say not too good they will listen with a care in their heart, at the grocery store the cashiers and bag boys are teenagers not old folks and they are super smart and friendly, when we go to the public pool the local kids are kind natured and friendly to each other and welcome a new face, when we go to church people are friendlier than our church in Florida esp. to my kids, the air is fresh, the breeze is cool (in the Mts.), people are happy and it reminds me of how life can be when you leave Florida! I hope one day we can move there forever and believe me I will never look back to the South except with sorrow for the children who as exposed to it's harsh, hot, modern cold natured ways and will be forever tainted. Too many FUBARs in Fla!
And we homeschool because we feel we have no choice and are lucky enough to be able to. God bless America...
We live in a rural area ouside of Ocala. Maybe other parts of Florida differ from our experience. Ours is the PITS.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:37 AM

478 posts, read 1,325,180 times
^^^I like East TN a lot! Very, very pretty!

Old 04-07-2009, 09:49 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
With all due respect, you sound like a mom that is very concerned about education and your children are excelling. I would think long and hard about considering Florida. Pennsylvania is light years away from Florida schools. If you think that your school is "eh" then Florida is going to knock your socks off.

Our daughter was in school for six weeks in Florida. We picked up and moved to Tennessee. Admittedly, Tennessee is not the northeast, but even they look fabulous next to Florida, and the crime is a lot less.

Don't do it. You'll get down there, have a change of heart and then have to leave, and leaving Florida isn't very easy for anyone, right now, family doc or not. In the meantime, your kids lives and education will be disrupted. And who knows what "tricks" they could pick up. For the most part, we found the kids in Florida to be "fast."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janemom View Post
Is there anyone who LOVES their kids' experience in a gifted program? Right now I have an underachieving 6th grade girl, whom I think would do well in a magnet school/arts school. She's (I know I'll get flack for this) in the upper 1% for IQ, and has tested at college level, but is getting slack b's in school. She thinks its dumb. I hope we having completely killed her thirst for knowledge. Homeschool is not option for her. Would love to hear positive thoughts on magnet schools down there. We are in PA right now and considering move. (husband is family doc, so job prospects are good) Next kid is A+ student, who skipped 3rd grade and is now in 4th. She's a math/computer kid, who is a good reader too, and would like to know if anyone has had positive stuff with regards to magnet/gifted opportunities for this kind of learner.
Thoughts?
And PA, while there are many outstanding districts, we are not in one of them. Ours is "eh," but in Southeast PA, we cannot afford to move to any better district that might be more academically challenging. Unless we would move to a tiny apartment. Our house was 400K, in a better district around here would be 700 - 800K. HA! That is impossible for us.
Thanks, sorry for ramble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida