U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 01:43 PM

22,528 posts, read 45,860,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I think Tampa/St. Pete is kind of the dividing line. Once you start going north from there it looks way less "tropical." Here in Sarasota it's lush and green all year, only a few trees turn color and drop. Away from the coast and inland and a bit north you will see more deciduous trees. Once you are about 30 miles north of Tampa, you can see quite a bit of color and leaf drop, depending on when they get the cold snaps.

Hope this helps.
This is exactly right.

In the summer, when I visit, the wall of humidity, the real bad one, hits just south of Tampa, for me.

A landscaper once told me that it becomes subtropical at The Caloosahatchee River. That's in Fort Myers.

But it is not lush. People think the place looks like a post card. Sometimes it is pretty. But palm trees that aren't trimmed can look pretty unsightly, and the brown grass on the side of the road and in the empty lots and abandoned buildings can be really, really depressing.

Here, up north, a stark tree next to a sky that threatens snow can be a moving and lovely thing.

Looking at a place that was meant to be a tropical paradise that went very, very wrong can be unsettling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 01:51 PM

16 posts, read 134,428 times
Thanks for the replies (sorry for the way late response).

So, now that Florida is having such a cool winter, is it still nice and green from Anna Maria down to Naples and Marco Island, or where is the cut-off point?

Feel free to mention if the trees are green in Anna Maria, but somewhat leafless in Punta Gorda, for example.

I've been checking web cams, but they usually just show the beach and a few palm trees.

I'm headed down in a couple of weeks, but I won't have time to check everything.

Thanks

Old 02-10-2010, 02:57 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,597,056 times
The leaves don't change colors or lose their leaves in Naples. If you see a tree with yellow leaves or leaves coming off, it is a DEAD tree, not a dormant one like up north.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:45 AM

Thanks, TANaples.

Is there anyone else from around Anna Maria, Sarasota, Venice, North Port, Fort Myers or Sanibel that can tell me if everything's nice and green/leafy there right now?

I talked to someone from Orlando yesterday and he said it didn't look much better than Cleveland at the moment, with so many brown, dead-looking plants and trees everywhere (yes, I realize he was exaggerating ).

Old 02-11-2010, 10:00 AM

14,616 posts, read 29,477,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naraj View Post
Thanks, TANaples.

Is there anyone else from around Anna Maria, Sarasota, Venice, North Port, Fort Myers or Sanibel that can tell me if everything's nice and green/leafy there right now?

I talked to someone from Orlando yesterday and he said it didn't look much better than Cleveland at the moment, with so many brown, dead-looking plants and trees everywhere (yes, I realize he was exaggerating ).
I live in north Sarasota, near the bay. We had a pretty bad snap a few weeks ago, and a lot of the landscape is crisp and brown. There is still plenty of green, but not quite as lush as it was. Going to take a while for a lot of this stuff to recover (like some palms, and the tender tropical foliage)

Old 02-13-2010, 06:18 PM

Thanks, gypsychic. Any idea approximately where the cutoff line is where everything still looks nice and green (no decidous trees)? I heard Bonita Springs is fine. I wonder how Venice, Englewood and Sanibel look right now.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:33 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
3,022 posts, read 4,734,387 times
The trees in the woods behind our SC townhouse look pretty bare. Really, the winter folage in Murrells Inlet, SC looks pretty much like it does in Central NJ, which kind of supprised me. I'm glad to hear that the Naples area (where we are heading to in two weeks) stays green in the winter. Fall colors in the Northeast are nice. Bare winter trees are not, IMHO.

Right now we are in NJ and I am totally sick of winter!

Old 02-13-2010, 09:38 PM

4,186 posts, read 9,976,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
^^^ Pretty picture above. Thanks for sharing. I guess when I think of Fall color, I'm thinking more like this... (which obviously we dont have)... but the pic above is nice and better than no change at all.

Western North Carolina
I see a lot of change in central FL

Old 02-14-2010, 06:04 AM

5,642 posts, read 7,597,056 times
When we drove up to NY before Christmas, Jacksonville very definitely looked (lot of colorful leaves) and felt (45 degrees in the day) like Fall. A little in the Tampa area, but not as much.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:13 PM

8,964 posts, read 5,615,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
I see a lot of change in central FL

Not compared to other places, but yes, there is subtle changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or