U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-21-2009, 03:30 PM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
16 posts, read 66,048 times
Reputation: 24
Default Do the trees lose their leaves in January in Sarasota and Naples?

I've never been to Florida in January, but I'm considering moving to Southwest Florida in the future, and I was just wondering if the trees lose their leaves in January in both the Sarasota and Naples area?

In other words, is Naples noticeably less "decidous" and more green in the winter, or are they pretty similar?

I want to live somewhere where it looks like summertime year round, if possible, and leafless trees are ugly to me.

I believe the cutoff point (as a general rule) for deciduous trees is somewhere around there, but I'm not sure exactly where coastal Southwestern Florida stops looking like coastal Northern Florida in the wintertime.

Thanks in advance for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-21-2009, 09:19 PM
 
965 posts, read 1,849,884 times
Reputation: 445
I see trees that change color in the winter in Central Florida,South Florida doesn't get much of a change at all.I don't think the trees lose too many leaves if any at all,maybe closer to North Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2009, 06:44 AM
 
Location: Easthampton, MA
3,535 posts, read 5,549,173 times
Reputation: 1594
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No, they NEVER change... This is the most boring part of FL as far as trees go, PERIOD. Nothing here changes, ever. So you will love it here... Me being from New England, I think it is about boring and trees that never change to me are "ugly" too. The only thing here is we get a dry season and EVERYTHING dies, turns brown, and catches fire...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2009, 06:45 AM
 
Location: Florida
917 posts, read 1,538,050 times
Reputation: 261
Most trees and shrubs keep their leaves and stay green year round down here in South Florida, But non-irrigated lawns and grassland will turn brown.

With all it's empty spaces Cape Coral is a good example of this. All the grass is nice and green in the Spring, or during the Summer rainy season, but things look very different over the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2009, 10:01 AM
 
10,153 posts, read 16,325,935 times
Reputation: 7908
Quote:
Originally Posted by naraj View Post
I've never been to Florida in January, but I'm considering moving to Southwest Florida in the future, and I was just wondering if the trees lose their leaves in January in both the Sarasota and Naples area?

In other words, is Naples noticeably less "decidous" and more green in the winter, or are they pretty similar?

I want to live somewhere where it looks like summertime year round, if possible, and leafless trees are ugly to me.

I believe the cutoff point (as a general rule) for deciduous trees is somewhere around there, but I'm not sure exactly where coastal Southwestern Florida stops looking like coastal Northern Florida in the wintertime.

Thanks in advance for the info.
I think Tampa/St. Pete is kind of the dividing line. Once you start going north from there it looks way less "tropical." Here in Sarasota it's lush and green all year, only a few trees turn color and drop. Away from the coast and inland and a bit north you will see more deciduous trees. Once you are about 30 miles north of Tampa, you can see quite a bit of color and leaf drop, depending on when they get the cold snaps.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2009, 01:13 PM
 
Location: Oviedo, FL
5,597 posts, read 5,786,515 times
Reputation: 1646
No, leaves dont change color or lose their leaves really. A few leaves may fall off (lol), but it's not like north GA or NC or the northeast where they change into beautiful colors and then fall off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2009, 02:11 PM
 
Location: Miami
6,424 posts, read 12,744,048 times
Reputation: 2441
OP - It depends on the tree, for the most part, no the trees do not change colors or lose their leaves. But there are a few trees that will lose their leaves. I have one right now that just started to lose its leaves, eventually they will all be gone, and then new ones will start growing. For the most part, the southern part of the state doesn't see much of a change. Come March, April the grass will usually turn brown, with the exception of the lawns that get watered. Then end of May the rain will start and the grass with get green.
__________________
There's no right answer or wrong answers, there's only popular opinion.
Please take a moment to read the Terms of Service
Florida, Miami, Hurricane Forums
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2009, 03:32 PM
 
Location: Oviedo, FL
5,597 posts, read 5,786,515 times
Reputation: 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
OP - It depends on the tree, for the most part, no the trees do not change colors or lose their leaves. But there are a few trees that will lose their leaves. I have one right now that just started to lose its leaves, eventually they will all be gone, and then new ones will start growing. For the most part, the southern part of the state doesn't see much of a change. Come March, April the grass will usually turn brown, with the exception of the lawns that get watered. Then end of May the rain will start and the grass with get green.
For the most part, the entire state doesnt see much change to be honest!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2009, 11:23 AM
 
Location: Floribama
8,854 posts, read 15,790,715 times
Reputation: 5238
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
For the most part, the entire state doesnt see much change to be honest!
That's not true. The northern half of the state has decent fall color from Turkey Oaks, Blackjack Oaks, Blackgum, Sweetgum, Red Maples, Hickories, Sugarberry, Cypress, etc. (Mockernut Hickory in the pic below)



Many of the native trees that would give color in central FL and urban areas have been removed and replaced with non-native palms and other evergreen plants. Unfortunately Live Oaks and palms are the only trees developers know to plant, and when tourists come down all they want to see is palms, palms, and more palms. All of those tall Coconut Palms people associate with south Florida aren't even from Florida, or the western hemisphere for that matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2009, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Oviedo, FL
5,597 posts, read 5,786,515 times
Reputation: 1646
^^^ Pretty picture above. Thanks for sharing. I guess when I think of Fall color, I'm thinking more like this... (which obviously we dont have)... but the pic above is nice and better than no change at all.




Western North Carolina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top