Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 11:11 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,401,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKB View Post
What law abiding citizen doesn't like having a cop living on their street with a patrol car sitting in their driveway? That is about the best crime deterrent you can have.
I'll tell you what type of "law abiding citizen". The ones who hate the police because they want to do whatever they want. The same type that get cuffed in their house after smacking their wives. The ones who say "you can't tell me what to do in my own house". The same kind that speed, drive drunk and like to party until 4:00 a.m. with no consideration to their neighbors.

Then you have the jealous ones. The ones that haven't amounted to anything but hate to see a police officer living in a nice house, driving nice cars etc..

Lastly, the ones that have been arrested or cited or had their relatives hauled away after they screwed up. The ones who were brain washed and conditioned as kids.

I don't see anyone inquiring about waitresses or delivery people not claiming their tips for tax purposes. My department allows us to take our cars home and use them for off-duty jobs. We could even use them to go to the groceries or for any other personal reason. Most law abiding citizens like to have more patrol cars driving around or parked in a driveway on their block.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:28 PM

217 posts, read 845,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Vice View Post
Most law abiding citizens like to have more patrol cars driving around or parked in a driveway on their block.
The neighborhood I used to live in pretty much had a cop in every section of it. While it was also a very nice neighborhood, it was the kind in which people would typically know they could go to steal from, and sometimes did, but I don't recall any of the houses it happened on being any of the ones that had a cop living on the street who either had their car at home off duty, or stopped home frequently on lunches, etc.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:53 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,401,645 times
Since I was hired in 1994, none of my neighbors have had their houses or cars broken into. I think that it has a lot to do with there being a police car on the block. The crooks could just move over a few blocks and look for another target.

Old 05-16-2007, 04:18 AM

27 posts, read 158,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixxphyre View Post
.Do you *really* want to know what I think? (If not, I guess don't read further). I think that you spend too much time worrying about what other people are doing with their time and money than what you're doing with your own. I think that you have little respect for the job that police officers do, and the protection they provide for the relatively peanuts pay they get to do so. And I think that you couldn't hack working even one 'easy' day as a cop, let alone if you had to do any of the things they routinely do which put them in danger (don't think 'security' jobs can? have you watched the news lately?). Quit whining and just be glad you're not the one out there doing the serving and protecting cuz I'm sure glad you're not.
Right on! I couldn't have said this any better. The original poster is probably an HOA President...

Old 05-16-2007, 05:17 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,233,542 times
I used to work as A/P for a road construction company. We routinely hired off duty officers for lane closures. Some municipalities billed us for engine idle time, pro-rated uniforms, etc. The officers were always paid by check, and were issued 1099's at year end.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runt52 View Post
Right on! I couldn't have said this any better. The original poster is probably an HOA President...
Thanks

Ha. Perhaps.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:26 AM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,498,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Vice View Post
I'll tell you what type of "law abiding citizen". The ones who hate the police because they want to do whatever they want. The same type that get cuffed in their house after smacking their wives. The ones who say "you can't tell me what to do in my own house". The same kind that speed, drive drunk and like to party until 4:00 a.m. with no consideration to their neighbors.

Then you have the jealous ones. The ones that haven't amounted to anything but hate to see a police officer living in a nice house, driving nice cars etc..

Lastly, the ones that have been arrested or cited or had their relatives hauled away after they screwed up. The ones who were brain washed and conditioned as kids.

I don't see anyone inquiring about waitresses or delivery people not claiming their tips for tax purposes. My department allows us to take our cars home and use them for off-duty jobs. We could even use them to go to the groceries or for any other personal reason. Most law abiding citizens like to have more patrol cars driving around or parked in a driveway on their block.
I said law abiding citizens. What you have described is hardly anyone following any laws.
It never ceases to amaze me, those kinds of people that you described think they are law abiding citizens. Those are the ones that that curse you out when you pull them over for speeding and say "go catch some real criminals" What they fail to understand is speeding is breaking the law!! So is assaulting your wife, drinking and driving and disturbing the piece.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:07 AM

85 posts, read 566,870 times
Default miss read

Talk about having a ( snit fit )
I did not say anything about how much a police officer maks, I did not say it was wrong for anybody to work more then 40 hours a week, nor did I say anything about the police officer's writing out tickets to people that were not speeding and I did not say anything about officer's take there patrol cars home.
What I am saying is do you think it is right for someone working for you (while you are paying for the company car and all the maintenance and fuel cost) be allowed to use your car to go to work for another company. Because that is what these officer's are doing as they do us our tax dollars also to run the cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixxphyre View Post
At least in this area, it's perfectly acceptable for the businesses to hire uniformed police officers to act as security, either after hours or during business. Police also get special projects to work security for parades, etc (hence why it's called projecting). Police don't make a whole lot of money for what they do and the danger they put themselves in, and if they are willing to work beyond their required forty hours in order to make extra income, who are you to throw a snit fit about it?

And before you whine about it not being extra work to stand around in a uniform, I'll tell you that I hardly ever saw my dad growing up because he worked 40 hrs regular duty and anywhere from 50-80 hours counting his projects. He'd come home and sleep for a couple hours between double shift days and go back out and do it again. I tried doing something similar for a few months to make ends meet and it wore on me...I've only been working third shift (which he did for years, working projects then during the day) for seven months, and I'm about to go back to days because I can't handle it, and all I do is 'stand around in a uniform' at a hotel desk...I can't imagine trying to do it wearing a gun belt and outside in the summer after no sleep and having to deal with rowdy a**holes besides.

And I wouldn't be so sure 'not one of them' is paying their taxes. My dad always has; I'm sure the rest of the officers working with him do also, and I'm pretty sure the same holds true of the cops in your area.

First of all, those people probably *are* speeding. With the number of people who speed every day cops don't *need* to pull anyone over who isn't actually doing so. Sure, some of them will pull you over for a couple miles over and that can be annoying, but my dad said he never breaks out for anyone doing less than 12 over the limit (because he figures then they know and he knows they're speeding), and he still manages to make quota.

As for the radar whining:
"All jurisdictions have basic training requirements for officers who monitor speed with electronic devices, such as laser or radar. They also have requirements for the maintenance of any devices used to monitor traffic. These regulations are available for purchase, and may also be available for review at a local government office (such as a city attorney's office). You can often schedule an appointment at a police agency to review their maintenance logs, or use a "Freedom of Information Act" (FOIA) request to obtain copies of relevant pages."
http://www.expertlaw.com/library/tra...ng_ticket.html

So, yeah, the whole "it didn't really say I was speeding" thing, not holding water with me. And, I've already addressed whether your last statement's accurate.

Do you *really* want to know what I think? (If not, I guess don't read further). I think that you spend too much time worrying about what other people are doing with their time and money than what you're doing with your own. I think that you have little respect for the job that police officers do, and the protection they provide for the relatively peanuts pay they get to do so. And I think that you couldn't hack working even one 'easy' day as a cop, let alone if you had to do any of the things they routinely do which put them in danger (don't think 'security' jobs can? have you watched the news lately?). Quit whining and just be glad you're not the one out there doing the serving and protecting cuz I'm sure glad you're not.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:18 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,191,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannl View Post
I did not say anything about how much a police officer maks, I did not say it was wrong for anybody to work more then 40 hours a week, nor did I say anything about the police officer's writing out tickets to people that were not speeding and I did not say anything about officer's take there patrol cars home.
What I am saying is do you think it is right for someone working for you (while you are paying for the company car and all the maintenance and fuel cost) be allowed to use your car to go to work for another company. Because that is what these officer's are doing as they do us our tax dollars also to run the cities.
What you don't understand is, a police officer is NEVER off duty. In NY I believe they even carry a gun off shift. No police officer if you need them will say, "I am sorry I am not working right now", as some bad ass is kicking your ass in a parking lot. No he will wade in and maybe even get himself hurt to protect you, whether on the clock or not, that is the kind of job it is. How many jobs are like that?

They can not create enough perks to compensate the job of being a cop. I wouldn't do it for any amount of money much less what they get paid. I think I remember reading that in Fort Lauderdale the average police call cost the taxpayer $300. So when you call a cop because there is a barking dog in the neighborhood or you call the cops because your neighbor parked over the property line to your property. Or how about your stupid alarm goes off for the fiftieth time creating a wasted call, the rest of us tax payers have to pay. Talk about wasted tax money, they should send those people a bill for services rendered.

That officer is still on duty no matter where he is, there is no such thing as "On his own time". I have no problem paying for the gas to his car as a taxpayer, and I don't care if he is just going to the store shopping because I may be in that store and need him and trust me, he won't say, "Sorry I am off duty".

Old 05-16-2007, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannl View Post

Directly, no you didn't say anything about what they make or the hours, but you're complaining about them doing this (which feeds into what they make) and insinuating that none of them claim it as income, and I'm explaining why they do and that they do pay taxes. Furthermore your whole basis was that it's illegal, which it's not. Macguy is absolutely correct, cops have no 'on their own time', many carrying weapons even when not in uniform who will step in to help out regardless of whether they're getting paid to do it or not.

And as far as making out tickets to people who that weren't speeding, what exactly did you mean then by "who they say are speeding (as they say they do not have to show you your speed on the radar, all they have to do is pull you over and say you were speeding and write you a ticket.)"...that pretty well shows that you believe the people speeding aren't really doing so.

And no, I do not think that cops going to work for businesses is 'working for another company'. The police oath is to serve and protect; that's what they're doing. Protecting their city doesn't end at just being around when calls are made to the police or they happen to be in the area when something happens. Again, as macguy said, there is no 'off duty' for them. So, no I don't think it's a problem that they're doing this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida