U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2009, 05:28 AM

7 posts, read 10,924 times

Advertisements

I'm currently living in WI, and I go to a normal school. It's probably going to become an international baccalaureate school (I still am not quite sure what that means), but our grading scales are strict, (an F is a 69 percent!!). I'm getting fairly good grades, so I think that I would be accepted at a lot of places, although I'm not too much into extra-curriculars.

I've been a fan of Florida for a while now, and I'd like a more diverse population and a different change in climate. I can't stand the cold anymore, so I figured to try to get into a college in Florida. This is a long term plan; I'm a sophomore in high school, so I have a lot of time. I'm going to become a meteorologist because I love to study about climate, and I'd always like to learn more, so I'd like the college to have a program for meteorology. A program in astronomy would be nice too because that's always exciting as well, although it's not as much of a priority as the meteorology aspect.

I don't quite know if I can afford the out-of-state tuition and other costs, but I'm hoping that I can figure something out. I don't want to go someplace TOO expensive because my family is not very rich. All I know is that I don't want to go to school where it's cold.

I'm thinking Gainesville. It seems like a nice sized city, but not too caught up in the city madness. Growing up in a small town, I'd rather not switch that part of my upbringing, but I know that I am going to have to if I'm going to college in a few years. If any of you have any information about this, or simply have a suggestion, feel free to tell me about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 04:13 PM
TD*

1,519 posts, read 3,132,841 times
Gainesville, Tallahassee, fit the bill

Old 11-29-2009, 07:58 PM

982 posts, read 2,525,318 times
If you are interested in Meteorology, Florida State is the place for you. They have a top-notch meteorology program.

Tallahassee is not a small town by any means, but it's not huge either. Definitely NOT "caught up in the big city madness" as you said. Gainesville is nothing like a small town either. It's not quite as big as Tallahassee, but it's still pretty big and it's totally dominated by the university. Tallahassee is the state capitol, so it's more than just a college town.

I'm not sure if UF has a meteorology program, but if you visit both UF and FSU (which you should do if you are considering both schools) and you will notice a difference in attitude at the two schools. Granted I graduated from Florida State so I am biased, but UF is more stuck up and FSU is much more welcoming and friendly.

Both Tallahassee and Gainesville are about an hour or so from the beaches, if that matters to you.

I know you said you are sick of the cold weather, but if I were you I would tough it out and just go to UW or someplace in state because of cost. A college degree just isn't worth paying the out-of-state tuition for if you're gonna go to a public university anyway.

Stay in state for your undergrad and then maybe you can go to grad school or get a job down south.

Just my opinion.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:22 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,763,869 times
Good advice above.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:39 AM

22 posts, read 59,549 times
I have to disagree with the above (FSU vs UF). I've lived in both Tallahassee and Gainesville and can tell you, Tallahassee is extremely boring. Check out the programs at both Universities to see which one you like better but know that as a city, Gainesville is so much better.

Also, I was born in WI. I enjoy the small town feel of a town too and Gainesville has that, but also has everything you need.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:55 AM

2,338 posts, read 7,014,132 times
Well if you are interested in metereology, the Natiional Hurricane Center is based at Florida International University (http://www2.fiu.edu/orgs/geology/Content/AcademicPrograms/Undergraduate/Meteorology.html - broken link). The meterology program just started; but that could be a good incentive for a scholarship perhaps.

I would keep an eye on out-of-state tuition. Legislation has been passed for big tuition hikes at FL public schools, making out of state tuition many times more expensive than in-state tuition. I would also look into private schools if you are dead set on FL. They may be around the same price as the public schools by the end of the day.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:10 AM

7,686 posts, read 16,118,897 times
Schools offering undergrad meteorology programs:

UCAR/AMS Curricula 2002 > Indices > State

For Florida, you're limited to:

Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
Florida Institute of Technology
Florida International University
Florida State University
Nova Southeastern University
University of Miami

From that list, I'd put FSU, Florida International, and University of Miami at the top of the lists.

Outside of Florida, I've heard good things about the University of Oklahoma program, and it would be warmer than where you are now.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:03 AM

5,507 posts, read 9,280,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
If you are interested in Meteorology, Florida State is the place for you. They have a top-notch meteorology program.

Tallahassee is not a small town by any means, but it's not huge either. Definitely NOT "caught up in the big city madness" as you said. Gainesville is nothing like a small town either. It's not quite as big as Tallahassee, but it's still pretty big and it's totally dominated by the university. Tallahassee is the state capitol, so it's more than just a college town.

I'm not sure if UF has a meteorology program, but if you visit both UF and FSU (which you should do if you are considering both schools) and you will notice a difference in attitude at the two schools. Granted I graduated from Florida State so I am biased, but UF is more stuck up and FSU is much more welcoming and friendly.

Both Tallahassee and Gainesville are about an hour or so from the beaches, if that matters to you.

I know you said you are sick of the cold weather, but if I were you I would tough it out and just go to UW or someplace in state because of cost. A college degree just isn't worth paying the out-of-state tuition for if you're gonna go to a public university anyway.

Stay in state for your undergrad and then maybe you can go to grad school or get a job down south.

Just my opinion.
Well it could be two things. An inferiority complex by FSU grads because UF is ranked much higher and the flagship of the state or UF grads are arrogant because they let you know their school is better academically.

It's probably both.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:04 AM

5,507 posts, read 9,280,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acausedelle View Post
I'm currently living in WI, and I go to a normal school. It's probably going to become an international baccalaureate school (I still am not quite sure what that means), but our grading scales are strict, (an F is a 69 percent!!). I'm getting fairly good grades, so I think that I would be accepted at a lot of places, although I'm not too much into extra-curriculars.

I've been a fan of Florida for a while now, and I'd like a more diverse population and a different change in climate. I can't stand the cold anymore, so I figured to try to get into a college in Florida. This is a long term plan; I'm a sophomore in high school, so I have a lot of time. I'm going to become a meteorologist because I love to study about climate, and I'd always like to learn more, so I'd like the college to have a program for meteorology. A program in astronomy would be nice too because that's always exciting as well, although it's not as much of a priority as the meteorology aspect.

I don't quite know if I can afford the out-of-state tuition and other costs, but I'm hoping that I can figure something out. I don't want to go someplace TOO expensive because my family is not very rich. All I know is that I don't want to go to school where it's cold.

I'm thinking Gainesville. It seems like a nice sized city, but not too caught up in the city madness. Growing up in a small town, I'd rather not switch that part of my upbringing, but I know that I am going to have to if I'm going to college in a few years. If any of you have any information about this, or simply have a suggestion, feel free to tell me about it.
Don't you need a masters these days for meteorology? There is a female anchor at the weather channel that went to UF undergrad and FSU for grad school. That could be a plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida