U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 11:20 AM

12,135 posts, read 12,375,713 times

Advertisements

Good luck with the relocation. You will see a lot of negative information here, especially about schools. I wonder how many of the people who say the schools are bad in FL actually have kids in school at the present time or if they are speaking from either what they heard or what they experienced 20 years ago.

Florida is very diverse. Different areas offer different options.

Do your research to ensure you are going where you want to be.

If you want the beach and a good area I would think Sarasota County (where Siesta Key is) is where you would want to look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancaster Gal View Post
Thank you for the information. I spoke with my 11 year old's teacher today about this and she said that she is in 2 gifted classes now and 2 advance classes and should not have any problem.

Her opinion on people who move with kids is if the parents are involved as much as I am and work together with the current school and the new school that studies show the kids adapt very well. She mentioned that most kids who come to our school who are behind are those who she never sees the parents or gets calls from them at all. And those who adapt well are from parents who get involved and make sure the kid is on the same page with the teachers and parents.

I do appreciate your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 10:20 PM

25 posts, read 37,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Good luck with the relocation. You will see a lot of negative information here, especially about schools. I wonder how many of the people who say the schools are bad in FL actually have kids in school at the present time or if they are speaking from either what they heard or what they experienced 20 years ago.

Florida is very diverse. Different areas offer different options.

Do your research to ensure you are going where you want to be.

If you want the beach and a good area I would think Sarasota County (where Siesta Key is) is where you would want to look.

Thank you for your information. I appreciate it very much.

Sadly, I spoke with a realtor about renting a home we saw on a website and being honest I told them our situation and that our credit was a mid score of 750 this time a year ago and now it is in the high 500's because of jobs losses etc.

She told me that it would be hard to find a clean decent home in a nice neighborhood with those credit scores.

With many people having the same credit problems and great backgrounds like we have it is hard to believe that someone would not take a look at the previous credit that was flawless and make a decision based on it.

I just hope this does not kill our chances of coming to Florida in the near future. We have had plans of moving to Florida for a while now and because of the jobs losses it might have killed our plans.

Thanks everyone for your generous help.

If anyone knows anyone who has a nice clean 3-2 home in a nice neighborhood for 1200-1500 per month please send me a pm. Of course we are good people with a perfect flawless credit report up until recently, clean background records, great work records etc. Looking at the surrounding Tampa communities either north or south.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:55 AM

7,484 posts, read 19,094,362 times
Lancaster, I wouldn't let that discourage you to much. I know on the rentals I (personally) have I just require a criminal background check and job history verification. There are so many people out there that are renting after a foreclosure right now that I think if you required everyone to have clean credit, you'd have a hard time finding a renter.

I would guess many places don't require credit checks. Keep looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancaster Gal View Post
Thank you for your information. I appreciate it very much.

Sadly, I spoke with a realtor about renting a home we saw on a website and being honest I told them our situation and that our credit was a mid score of 750 this time a year ago and now it is in the high 500's because of jobs losses etc.

She told me that it would be hard to find a clean decent home in a nice neighborhood with those credit scores.

With many people having the same credit problems and great backgrounds like we have it is hard to believe that someone would not take a look at the previous credit that was flawless and make a decision based on it.

I just hope this does not kill our chances of coming to Florida in the near future. We have had plans of moving to Florida for a while now and because of the jobs losses it might have killed our plans.

Thanks everyone for your generous help.

If anyone knows anyone who has a nice clean 3-2 home in a nice neighborhood for 1200-1500 per month please send me a pm. Of course we are good people with a perfect flawless credit report up until recently, clean background records, great work records etc. Looking at the surrounding Tampa communities either north or south.

Old 02-06-2010, 03:29 PM

25 posts, read 37,184 times
Thank you everyone for your help. We are very confused on what area to look into.

We prefer smaller towns within a drive of the larger cities, do not want to be far from a beach and want to make sure the schools are good also.

I have looked into many towns from North Port to the Panhandle and have not come up with anything as of yet.

I do not think we could afford Siesta Keys or Sarasota areas as looking at rentals online were 2000-2500 for a 3 bedroom home on average.

Still looking. Need something around 1200-1500 in the smaller rural areas on the gulf side with good schools.

Any particular that fits those needs please post and I will start looking into those towns.

Thank you folks for your help.
Lancaster Gal

Old 02-06-2010, 03:41 PM

7,484 posts, read 19,094,362 times
There are plenty of rentals in North Port area in that range. I was talking to a rental agent in NP today and he gave me a general guideline for the rentals. He said a home that is around 1500 sq ft you could expect to rent it for $800, 1800 sq ft would be $850-$950 and 2000 sq ft or more $1k-$1100k. He said those are some general guidelines. If you wanted a pool that would add to the price. The majority of the homes were built in 2002 or newer.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:05 PM

574 posts, read 1,778,330 times
I didn't read the other posts, so maybe this has been addressed, but in the state of FL, if your children are gifted (must have a pyschological testing score on file and be at least at 127) you can have them staffed full time into any public school which provides gifted services. In the state of FL it is a requirement to provide full time gifted services to any child who qualifies.

I honestly do not know where FL gets its reputation for poor education, but as a teacher and a parent of three children who have either graduated from a public school or are currently enrolled in one, I have found the educational system here to be excellent. I would be interested in knowing what you specifically have heard that is so poor? If its the drop out rate, consider that in FL any student who enrolls in a public HS is considered a drop out if he or she doesn't graduate in that district. FL's transient rate is astronomical. So if a student moves out of state, or even out of district, that student is counted among the HS drop outs! Our moderate climate also makes our state attractive to many who come here looking for work, only to end up homeless or stuggling economically. There is also a high percentage of those students in our schools. However, the education students receive, at least in my 27 years of experience as a teacher and 17 years as a parent of children who are part of the school system, has been nothing but excellent, and I happen to be in a district where the economy is tourist based! I am sure in more industrial counties or counties with a much higher socio-economic rating the schools appear to be even better, because of their student population.

Nancy

Old 02-08-2010, 06:22 AM

598 posts, read 1,461,601 times
I'm coming on late, but I can tell you through my extensive research that you might consider the city of Seminole in Pinellas County. It's safe, yet very convenient to the beaches (I love Indian Rocks Beach), about an hour from Disney/Sea World/Universal, close to work options/the amenities of the Tampa Bay area, and Seminole has excellent schools (rated A or perfect 10s on the GreatSchools site).

Old 11-19-2010, 07:00 PM

33 posts, read 129,817 times
Lancaster Gal, meaning Lancaster, PA? I am in Naples have been 11 years perm now, 5 years before that snow birding, but I am from Lancaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or