U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-29-2009, 05:35 PM
 
25 posts, read 37,203 times
Reputation: 20

Advertisements

Small town family of four, two kids 11 and 9.

We love Disney and other parks.

We like the ocean, beaches, parks.

Gulf side seems to be better then the ocean side as I believe the beaches are nicer, cleaner and more friendly. May be wrong here.

We have spent many years traveling to Florida for vacations and visit family who lives near Orlando. We pick a new town every year to take a vacation in twice a year so have been to most beach towns, Orlando of course etc.

We like small towns with charm.

Both kids are straight A students. I have read Florida schools are very bad and I am worried about the move to a lesser school for the kids. My most important concern without any doubt.

Private schools could be a possibility. (?)

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

We have about a year or two before we move so we are in no hurry. We have decided to spend time in the areas we decide on before moving.

Probably will create a list of 3-4 towns and narrow them down based on schools, family atmosphere, crime, safety, access to oceans, parks, theme parks etc.

Probably not interested in the far south areas of Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-29-2009, 06:01 PM
 
26,589 posts, read 52,160,126 times
Reputation: 12935
I'd worry about where you'll find employment first, then look at the surrounding area for the right place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2009, 06:05 PM
 
Location: Palm Island and North Port
7,484 posts, read 19,109,330 times
Reputation: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancaster Gal View Post
Small town family of four, two kids 11 and 9.

We love Disney and other parks.

We like the ocean, beaches, parks.

Gulf side seems to be better then the ocean side as I believe the beaches are nicer, cleaner and more friendly. May be wrong here.

We have spent many years traveling to Florida for vacations and visit family who lives near Orlando. We pick a new town every year to take a vacation in twice a year so have been to most beach towns, Orlando of course etc.

We like small towns with charm.

Both kids are straight A students. I have read Florida schools are very bad and I am worried about the move to a lesser school for the kids. My most important concern without any doubt.

Private schools could be a possibility. (?)

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

We have about a year or two before we move so we are in no hurry. We have decided to spend time in the areas we decide on before moving.

Probably will create a list of 3-4 towns and narrow them down based on schools, family atmosphere, crime, safety, access to oceans, parks, theme parks etc.

Probably not interested in the far south areas of Florida.
I would suggest Sarasota or Osprey. It's 2 hours from Orlando so you could do a quick weekend trip up there. Sarasota county has Pine View School for the Gifted which is a full time public gifted school. You must have an IQ of 130 to get in as well as a high GPA. I have two kids that attend Pine View-one in 6th and one in 11th and we have been there for over 8 years and love it! Pine View is the top rated school in Florida and one of the top in the Nation.

Sarasota county has one of the top beaches in the world-Siesta Key Beach. There's lot of stuff for the kids to do: GWIZ, Jungle Gardens, Mote Marine, etc Just to the north of Sarasota is MOSI in Tampa.

You didn't mention anything about employment. The job market is pretty poor right now in Florida. The unemployment rate is hovering somewhere around 10%. So, just make sure if you need a job you secure one before moving.

Good luck with your search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2009, 06:26 PM
 
2,996 posts, read 4,672,762 times
Reputation: 1791
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I'd worry about where you'll find employment first, then look at the surrounding area for the right place to live.
I agree. Your employment is the priority, then the other things secondary, albiet important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2009, 06:33 PM
 
25 posts, read 37,203 times
Reputation: 20
Husband job allows him to be transferred so the employment issue is not a problem.

11 year old has a 4.00 GPA, 9 year does not have GPA yet but has all A's in every subject since 1st grade. Never a B on anything.

We vacation around the Siesta Key area a couple years ago and loved it. Amazing place isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2009, 09:46 PM
 
80 posts, read 193,957 times
Reputation: 41
Siesta Key is a nice place. But ,if your children are doing so well in school, why disrupt that? Education in FL is um, well, not a priority to say the least. Private schools would be a MUST in your situation IMO. Good luck to you, whatever you choose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2009, 12:07 AM
 
Location: SARASOTA, FLORIDA
11,501 posts, read 12,836,060 times
Reputation: 4874
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMC Man Dan King O' Keno View Post
Siesta Key is a nice place. But ,if your children are doing so well in school, why disrupt that? Education in FL is um, well, not a priority to say the least. Private schools would be a MUST in your situation IMO. Good luck to you, whatever you choose.
I agree, schooling should be the priority. Why take away what they have already accomplished?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2009, 05:12 AM
 
26,589 posts, read 52,160,126 times
Reputation: 12935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancaster Gal View Post
Husband job allows him to be transferred so the employment issue is not a problem.
But even with a transfer allowed, they'd have to have a n opening for him and a location near where you want to live. Florida is a pretty large state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2009, 05:35 AM
 
Location: Palm Island and North Port
7,484 posts, read 19,109,330 times
Reputation: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancaster Gal View Post
Husband job allows him to be transferred so the employment issue is not a problem.

11 year old has a 4.00 GPA, 9 year does not have GPA yet but has all A's in every subject since 1st grade. Never a B on anything.

We vacation around the Siesta Key area a couple years ago and loved it. Amazing place isn't it?
With grades like that I would say that your kids have a chance of getting in Pine View. We've sent our kids to several different private schools in the area and nothing comes close to PV.

Keep in mind that PV only accepts kids in the begining of the school year due to the rigirous workload. So, if you wanted your kids to attend you'd have to prepare and get the testing done now for the next school year.

Here's some info about PV:
Pine View School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Pine View School: Best High Schools - USNews.com
http://www.city-data.com/school/pine...school-fl.html
Pine View School - Duke Gifted Letter
Pine View wraps up perfect Olympics | HeraldTribune.com | Sarasota Florida | Southwest Florida's Information Leader
Recent Announcements and News for the Tampa Bay Business Community&


Siesta is a very nice place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2009, 05:39 AM
 
2,143 posts, read 6,963,974 times
Reputation: 1135
Martin County has pretty good schools. Beaches, pretty close to Orlando, no high rises by law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top