Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 10:39 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times

Advertisements

We saw a panther off the edge of woods in south collier county. He was just lying in the sun washing himself. People were stopping their cars to look at him. Nobody got out of their cars though. My husband said we were very lucky to have seen a panther.

Last year they reported on the news that woman living in a local condo development spotted a black bear by the dumpster when she took out her garbage.

I have seen gators in the lake by my lanai on the golf course, lots of possum, big turtles, once had a iguana crawling up the screen of my lanai. and countless tropical birds of all species. Even the ducks have now migrated here from back up north. Sorry, I don't know what kind but I used to see them all the time in the summer on LI.

I do enjoy all the wildlife here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 02:34 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
When I lived in Tally, a family of foxes would go through the natural area behind the house. And we had an owl that was really neat. It did't sound like what I expected.

Last month a black bear ran across the road when I was driving throught the Ocala Nat'l. Forest. It was too quick for me to get a pix, though. And the week before I saw a 12 foot gator on a golf course.

We have two armadillos that I see early in the morning when I am walking my dog. They are the strangest looking creatures! Last year I found the shed skin of a snake across in a wooded area across the street from my hme and it measured 44" long.

I love the wildlife here.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:49 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Rattlesnake watching is good too this season.

Warm weather has rattlesnakes crawling out to sun themselves : Treasure Coast : TCPalm

Old 01-05-2009, 12:36 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Wow, you're posts are like frickin rays of sunshine. What's the matter, can't go outside?

Old 01-05-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Wow, you're posts are like frickin rays of sunshine. What's the matter, can't go outside?
No, I was injecting humor. I can go outside because there are no rattlesnakes to worry about here.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:02 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
No, I was injecting humor. I can go outside because there are no rattlesnakes to worry about here.
Where, exactly, are you in the "mid west"? Because the range for rattlesnakes encompasses all but the most Northern midwest states.

May I suggest running around barefoot through the corn or barley or whatever else passes as diverse flora and fauna where you live to test it out?

Old 01-05-2009, 06:37 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,198,983 times
In all my years in FL, I only saw 3 rattlesnakes. 1 was a Pygmy rattler, he was alive, 1 was a eastern diamondback, about a foot long, dead in the road. The 3rd one was about a 5 1/2 ' eastern diamondback my neighbor shot in his backyard when I was a kid, right near the canal several of us kids would play. He skinned the snake and mounted the snakeskin on a plank, it was a solid 12" across at the belly. He put the head in a mayonnaise jar, it was as big as an adult man's fist and barely fit in the jar.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Where, exactly, are you in the "mid west"? Because the range for rattlesnakes encompasses all but the most Northern midwest states.

May I suggest running around barefoot through the corn or barley or whatever else passes as diverse flora and fauna where you live to test it out?
Thanks, I'll give it a try this summer.

I didn't mean to set you off. I had no idea that rattlesnakes were your hot button.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:11 AM

509 posts, read 1,680,536 times
My sister-in-law sat on her porch and saw two large owls swoop down and carry off someone's cat! I've also heard of people having their small dogs carried off by hawks, etc.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:28 AM

564 posts, read 1,880,078 times
The good news is that only 6 of Florida's 44 snake species are poisonous!
Just 6!

My sons actively look for snakes, spiders, lizards, turtles (and watch out for gators) every time we come down....seeing a rattler sunning itself would make their trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida