U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 09:15 AM

5,400 posts, read 5,378,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debb J View Post
Heading to a beautiful little town in NC in the very near future. The people are warm and friendly, climate is not too severe any of the seasons and the cost of living is far better. Not worried over jobs...we'll be retired.

What part DebbJ?

Old 12-07-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I think California would be a frying pan and fire sort of proposition. All the issues that are bad here- crime, unemployment, paychecks massively out of whack with housing costs, are only magnificed out there.

Which is a shame because there are some wonderful places out there that have effectively been loved to death.

As for Atlanta, I live in a place where people who used to live there and loathed it frequently end up moving to. Their stories about Atlanta's problems have turned me off that city pretty much sight unseen. (I've changed planes at the airport but never been into town)

Got burned once living in the Deep South and could cheerfully go the rest of my life never setting foot in Tennessee again save to change planes in Memphis.

If not Florida, we'd probably aim for Arizona.
I found TN to have the friendliest residents I've ever met. Were you in Memphis? Probably so.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amax41 View Post
From one hell hole to another.
ATL has a lot of crime and traffic, but I find the people to be friendlier and also North GA has a lot of nice areas.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:24 AM

8,233 posts, read 7,440,931 times
The evening news reported that there are currently thousands of available jobs in cities like Minot & Fargo North Dakota, so I checked the temperature last night. It was minus 2.

As Rosanne Rosannadanna said "It's always something."

Old 12-07-2009, 10:02 AM

Data shows that most Floridians are heading to GA, followed by NC and TN.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:06 AM

4,379 posts, read 7,753,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
I found TN to have the friendliest residents I've ever met. Were you in Memphis? Probably so.
Two hours north of and 30 years behind Memphis. Seriously the worst part of the state in many ways.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:15 AM

848 posts, read 1,182,139 times
I lived in fl the majority of my life and I can honestly say for me fl didn't change, I did. When I turned 50 the hot flashes began. All of a sudden I could not stand the heat. Then I had skin cancer (squamus cell) and was warned to STAY OUT of the sun. Then, I gained weight, at that point I decided I looked better in a winter coat than a bikini! I always loved the ocean, the sea lice ruined that, I guess it was time for a change and for me it was a blessing to embrace a new way of life!

Old 12-07-2009, 10:29 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,554,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Data shows that most Floridians are heading to GA, followed by NC and TN.
I think that may be old info. There was a time when home prices were sky rocketing and our property tax and insurance rates were chasing people away. People who were lucky enough to sell at the right time were cashing in on the inflated housing prices and looking elsewhere to move and maybe invest. I would say that is all over now.

I never see Sunday paper stories about the Florida exodus to those states anymore. It is no better elsewhere then here now and some who cashed out and thought they would reinvest are now upside down in new homes. They thought they were going to make big profits like it was never going to end and are losing everything they have. Far worse off then they were before they made the move.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
I think that may be old info. There was a time when home prices were sky rocketing and our property tax and insurance rates were chasing people away. People who were lucky enough to sell at the right time were cashing in on the inflated housing prices and looking elsewhere to move and maybe invest. I would say that is all over now.

I never see Sunday paper stories about the Florida exodus to those states anymore. It is no better elsewhere then here now and some who cashed out and thought they would reinvest are now upside down in new homes. They thought they were going to make big profits like it was never going to end and are losing everything they have. Far worse off then they were before they made the move.
I meet people (and know people) and we also have family in Asheville NC, and folks from FL are still moving there in droves. Trust me. Go to any of the NC forums.

Some folks might be upside down in their homes elsewhere but to say it's "no better elsewhere" is incorrect. FL is a lot worse than most other states. People arent moving to NC, SC and TN from FL like they once were. That part's true. The desire to move there for many is still there, but they cant sell their FL homes which is keeping them from moving right now.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:36 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,554,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
I lived in fl the majority of my life and I can honestly say for me fl didn't change, I did. When I turned 50 the hot flashes began. All of a sudden I could not stand the heat. Then I had skin cancer (squamus cell) and was warned to STAY OUT of the sun. Then, I gained weight, at that point I decided I looked better in a winter coat than a bikini! I always loved the ocean, the sea lice ruined that, I guess it was time for a change and for me it was a blessing to embrace a new way of life!
That is one of the most insightful post on here in a long time. Change is good but we often just don't, of can't do it for some reason on our own. A job that is too good to quit as an example. Then you get laid off and think it is the worst day of your life only a few years later looking back and realizing it was the best thing that ever happened to you. It forced a decision you could not make yourself. Nothing bad ever really happens to us, just change and new doors opening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida