U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-07-2009, 10:49 AM
 
1,468 posts, read 4,029,763 times
Reputation: 1062

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
I meet people (and know people) and we also have family in Asheville NC, and folks from FL are still moving there in droves. Trust me. Go to any of the NC forums.

Some folks might be upside down in their homes elsewhere but to say it's "no better elsewhere" is incorrect. FL is a lot worse than most other states. People arent moving to NC, SC and TN from FL like they once were. That part's true. The desire to move there for many is still there, but they cant sell their FL homes which is keeping them from moving right now.
The thing is, most of those moves were being financed with the sale of realestate. Like you said nothing is selling but more so not for high prices. You won't see anymore stories about the couple in say Hollywood selling the home they bought for $109,000.00 for $400,000 and buying that farm on 50 acres in NC for $199,000.00 People would read those stories and dream about doing the same thing. They can't do it now even if they are still inclined. Most would be lucky if they can get out of the house they are in now with any profit much less pay cash for a new place and have a couple hundred thousand left over.

That is what I really meant. There is always movement of people from one place to another no matter what, but the basis of what drove the moves a few years ago, mainly realestate profiting, is over maybe for good. If you say they are moving there in droves why isn't it reflected in the local realestate markets there? Have homes in Asheville NC sky rocked in price due to this overwhelming demand? What and where are the jobs that all these people are flocking to?

Last edited by mango23; 12-07-2009 at 11:39 AM..

 
Old 12-07-2009, 10:56 AM
 
Location: FLORIDA
8,964 posts, read 5,618,122 times
Reputation: 3355
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
The thing is, most of those moves were being financed with the sale of realestate. Like you said nothing is selling but more so not for high prices. You won't see anymore stories about the couple in say Hollywood selling the home they bought for $109.00 for $400.000 and buying that farm on 50 acres in NC for $199.00. People would read those stories and dream about doing the same thing. They can't do it now even if they are still inclined. Most would be lucky if they can get out of the house they are in now with any profit much less pay cash for a new place and have a couple hundred thousand left over.

That is what I really meant. There is always movement of people from one place to another no matter what, but the basis of what drove the moves a few years ago, mainly realestate profiting, is over maybe for good. If you say they are moving there in droves why isn't it reflected in the local realestate markets there. Have homes in Asheville NC sky rocked in price due to this overwhelming demand? What and where are the jobs that all these people are flocking to?

Asheville has never been a "hot spot" for jobs. That's well known. Many retirees have made the move, and will continue to, but again, many are retirees.

I am now out of work, for the last 3 weeks, and I cant find a job in Orlando, and have been looking for months. I turned down a job in Alpharetta (had to, cant sell the house, now looking into renting it out), and I'm also working on job offers in Asheville and the surrounding area. There arent tons of jobs up there, but I know some folks down here in FL out of work, and I know folks in Western NC that havent been affected at all. If you're an attorney, an accountant, a policeman, etc... there are jobs up there in Asheville and surroundings. There are no big Fortune 500's employing lots and lots of people, but the same jobs are up there.
 
Old 12-07-2009, 11:14 AM
 
Location: on the edge of Sanity
14,271 posts, read 15,133,581 times
Reputation: 7876
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
I lived in fl the majority of my life and I can honestly say for me fl didn't change, I did. When I turned 50 the hot flashes began. All of a sudden I could not stand the heat. Then I had skin cancer (squamus cell) and was warned to STAY OUT of the sun. Then, I gained weight, at that point I decided I looked better in a winter coat than a bikini! I always loved the ocean, the sea lice ruined that, I guess it was time for a change and for me it was a blessing to embrace a new way of life!
I can relate to this! I've had a few moles removed and need to get a complete cancer screening one of these days. When you live in FL and a doctor tells you "stay out of the sun" it's like telling someone in upstate New York to keep away from snow. Regarding the bikini, I was kinda hot when I moved here in my 40s, but 10 years later my legs began to look like a page from a Rand McNally travel guide.
 
Old 12-07-2009, 11:50 AM
 
1,468 posts, read 4,029,763 times
Reputation: 1062
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I can relate to this! I've had a few moles removed and need to get a complete cancer screening one of these days. When you live in FL and a doctor tells you "stay out of the sun" it's like telling someone in upstate New York to keep away from snow. Regarding the bikini, I was kinda hot when I moved here in my 40s, but 10 years later my legs began to look like a page from a Rand McNally travel guide.
I had a skin cancer removed about ten years ago. The thing is, it takes decades for it to develop. You may start staying out of the sun today but it will have no meaning to that severe sun burn you got when you were a teenager, that will be, if it happens the skin cancer cause. I go see the dermatologist every few years but just that one little thing I had is all that has ever come.

I am not naive though, I may have something coming regardless what I do now to prevent it. I have always been tan from Living in Florida but had very few sunburns. I used to see tourists when I was a kid and my dad had the motel, go to the emergency with burns, I guess due to their fair skin. It didn't matter if you warned them or not they would lay out in that sun anyway. I guess they wanted their moneys worth.
 
Old 12-07-2009, 01:24 PM
 
Location: Miami
6,853 posts, read 19,189,044 times
Reputation: 2895
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
Life can sometimes be reduced to a yellow legal pad and a line down the middle. Pro's on one side and Con's on the other. It can be pretty reveling when you put it down on paper.
Friends of mine did this and Atlanta came out better for them than Miami, and they moved and love it! We got a US map of all the states, and colored in black all the states we didn't want to move. After do that we came down to 8 states that we needed to visit. Now down to two states. But it really helps putting it down on paper.
 
Old 12-07-2009, 01:41 PM
 
Location: Orlando, Florida
43,858 posts, read 43,394,951 times
Reputation: 58596
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
I lived in fl the majority of my life and I can honestly say for me fl didn't change, I did. When I turned 50 the hot flashes began. All of a sudden I could not stand the heat. Then I had skin cancer (squamus cell) and was warned to STAY OUT of the sun. Then, I gained weight, at that point I decided I looked better in a winter coat than a bikini! I always loved the ocean, the sea lice ruined that, I guess it was time for a change and for me it was a blessing to embrace a new way of life!
Your relocation choice of the Blue Ridge Mountains is where my parents chose to have a second home. After a couple of visits there, I knew I would want to retire there one day. I'm in Florida due to family and job, but one day.....I hope I'm your neighbor!!!

Nothing against Florida since it has always been my home. Unlike lots of other people...I do appreciate all the wonderful things Florida has to offer. I would just like to live somewhere with mountains and snow....at least for awhile.
 
Old 12-07-2009, 01:46 PM
 
Location: Delray Beach, FL
159 posts, read 399,561 times
Reputation: 91
I was born and raised in Fla, and have lived mostly in Atlanta. I moved to the Tampa Bay area in 2004, and then for a while in south Fla. Now I'm in Atlanta to stay, the people are friendler, more opportunity, and I live in a close-in safe area, Mableton. I love it here for so many reasons. Atlanta is a good town to live in. I can recommend the Mableton, Smyrna, Marietta area as very good places to live, although there are many good areas to live around Atlanta. I like to visit Florida, but found it very difficult to live there.
 
Old 12-07-2009, 01:46 PM
 
2,930 posts, read 6,001,813 times
Reputation: 1375
To the promised land... NC where rude people don't exist and people know how to drive
 
Old 12-07-2009, 02:44 PM
 
Location: FLORIDA
8,964 posts, read 5,618,122 times
Reputation: 3355
^^^People are going there and enjoying it for a reason. And less rude people and better drivers are both positives to NC over FL. Whether you want to admit it or not, you can see a lot of people are moving there, and enjoying it and glad they made the move.
 
Old 12-07-2009, 02:45 PM
 
Location: FLORIDA
8,964 posts, read 5,618,122 times
Reputation: 3355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia1113 View Post
I was born and raised in Fla, and have lived mostly in Atlanta. I moved to the Tampa Bay area in 2004, and then for a while in south Fla. Now I'm in Atlanta to stay, the people are friendler, more opportunity, and I live in a close-in safe area, Mableton. I love it here for so many reasons. Atlanta is a good town to live in. I can recommend the Mableton, Smyrna, Marietta area as very good places to live, although there are many good areas to live around Atlanta. I like to visit Florida, but found it very difficult to live there.

I agree, there are lots of nice areas up there, I just wouldnt want to live IN Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top