U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 01:54 PM

2,930 posts, read 6,026,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
whippe you like your small town! I don't even know where Washington county is! Life sure must be slow if you have to report on deadbeat dads and DUIs in the local rag.
Very slow if they report people for misusing 911 or for writing a check without funds.

Last edited by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥; 12-07-2009 at 02:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 02:00 PM

3,854 posts, read 3,634,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
This is the arrest reports for the last week in Washington county

Washington County Arrest Report (http://www.chipleybugle.com/dec09/arrests-12-7.aspx - broken link)

I bet Fort Lauderdale had more then that in the time it took me to make this post.
Chipley and Bonifay! OMG!

There would be more people at a football game in South Florida than reside in Chipley and Bonifay.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:07 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,048,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
Chipley and Bonifay! OMG!

There would be more people at a football game in South Florida than reside in Chipley and Bonifay.
They would not even fill up one section in most stadiums.

Old 12-07-2009, 04:18 PM

1,335 posts, read 2,833,234 times
I've been in north Florida and in the panhandle - I have some distant family which live up in Okaloosa County. It's quite different of a world from what most see as Florida. Aside from the 95 corridor, anything north of roughly Route 40 (to me) more resembles rural Georgia or Alabama than "Florida" the modern sprawled out haven for transplants (esp. seniors) and vacationers.

Old 12-07-2009, 05:10 PM

8,964 posts, read 5,695,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Better than home invasions, carjackings, and murders.

Yeah, no kidding. I guess it's that Miami mentality he's got - I'm not suprised. I mean, what kind of response it that anyway?

Old 12-07-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
whippe you like your small town! I don't even know where Washington county is! Life sure must be slow if you have to report on deadbeat dads and DUIs in the local rag.
The Miami Herald wouldnt have enough paper to publish all the deadbeats and low lifes in Miami.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:49 PM

485 posts, read 1,495,263 times
Just wanted to post this because I find it very ironic. I lived in Miami for 4 years and L.A. for 3 years and my car was never broken into in either place. I now live in a tiny town in north central florida and my car was broken into last month. We have to leave our bright porch light on every night now. Crime doesn't just happen in cities...

Old 12-07-2009, 08:51 PM

^^^ I live in a gated community in Orlando. One of my neighbors had his car stolen out of his driveway in the middle of the day.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:34 PM

27 posts, read 115,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
I tried to get a similar thread going where I asked everybody to describe what part of Fla. they lived in and what it was like, so we could all see the differences, Fla. is a big state, but the thread never really took off. I was suprised as we have our fair share of posters. Being a South Fla. native, I am very curious about what the rest of Fla. is like, from weather to culture.
Born and raised in both coastal and rural WPB, just moved to Daytona 5 years ago. Here's my experience:

• As soon as we hit the PBC line, I have anxiety attacks. LOL. The traffic, noise, sprawl, crime, TRAFFIC. Commuting an hour anywhere to work.... (we lived in RPB)
  • down south, constant entertainment, day trips to the Keys. Memorial day was THE day to bar hop all the way to Key West and back...
  • THE best concerts in the state available at Miami, Sunrise (wahh!) and Mars.. (is it still called that?)
  • Daytona: most AMAZING beach, atmosphere anywhere. No walking, no hot pavement..... and no BEER
  • Up north, low taxes/above average home prices = lower income/lower stress/same home prices
  • North, people are MUCH nicer. Makes a So. Floridian nervous.. like they just want to be nice so they can rob you.... LOL
  • North, holiday traffic will make you homicidal or suicidal. Results may vary.
This is just the east coast I'm referring to. Orlando and Jax have a mind and of their own.

Daytona is sooo relaxed and laid back, almost to a fault. Our industry is in higher education, the race track, and healthcare (still sadly lacking!!! I would still make a run for Miami or Gainseville with a serious illness).

WPB is all about keeping up with the Joneses, rat race, road rage (Okee 500 takes off 5pm daily!).

/ranting

almost...

In a weird way, I miss the insane traffic down 95 between Ft. Lauderdale and Miami during construction... Did they EVER finish that?

Old 12-08-2009, 06:15 AM

17,279 posts, read 24,961,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonaMom View Post
Born and raised in both coastal and rural WPB, just moved to Daytona 5 years ago. Here's my experience:

• As soon as we hit the PBC line, I have anxiety attacks. LOL. The traffic, noise, sprawl, crime, TRAFFIC. Commuting an hour anywhere to work.... (we lived in RPB)
  • down south, constant entertainment, day trips to the Keys. Memorial day was THE day to bar hop all the way to Key West and back...
  • THE best concerts in the state available at Miami, Sunrise (wahh!) and Mars.. (is it still called that?)
  • Daytona: most AMAZING beach, atmosphere anywhere. No walking, no hot pavement..... and no BEER
  • Up north, low taxes/above average home prices = lower income/lower stress/same home prices
  • North, people are MUCH nicer. Makes a So. Floridian nervous.. like they just want to be nice so they can rob you.... LOL
  • North, holiday traffic will make you homicidal or suicidal. Results may vary.
This is just the east coast I'm referring to. Orlando and Jax have a mind and of their own.

Daytona is sooo relaxed and laid back, almost to a fault. Our industry is in higher education, the race track, and healthcare (still sadly lacking!!! I would still make a run for Miami or Gainseville with a serious illness).

WPB is all about keeping up with the Joneses, rat race, road rage (Okee 500 takes off 5pm daily!).

/ranting

almost...

In a weird way, I miss the insane traffic down 95 between Ft. Lauderdale and Miami during construction... Did they EVER finish that?

You lived in the wrong part of PBC. And yes, they finished the I-95 construction through West Palm.... it's like a breeze, much less accidents now as well. They've started expansion in North County now, though, but I think it will take a lot less time to complete than the 10 year project through WPB!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or