Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 06:53 PM

485 posts, read 1,703,310 times

Advertisements

It does sound like you are "big city" people, and I think you may be bored in Sarasota and the surrounding areas. Have you thought about any areas of L.A., like Calabasas or Thousand Oaks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 12:29 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,653,307 times
I don't know about Sarasota, but Hyde Park in downtown Tampa is artsy, but it ain't no NYC! I am not sure about its family orientation. You could check out a website for the zoned school for the Hyde Park area: www.greatschools.net. Also check to see if they are an "A" rated school. Florida schools are not known for their great education, but you can find some schools that are better than others. Try looking up on the Hillsborough County Board of Education website and seeing what the schools would be like for the Hyde Park area. I am sure you could do the same for Sarasota, but they are a different county. You should come down and check out the areas you are thinking of moving to. Get a feel for the area and have a realtor show you around. The homes in Hyde Park are expensive.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:41 AM

161 posts, read 450,305 times
hydepark in downtown tampa is not artsy. aside from the williams sonoma and the anthropology, there is a small gallery that is typical tampa quality. a few of the restaurants there also do the typical put-some-local-art-on-the-walls thing. there is no indication that hyde park is any more interested in the arts than any other spot in tampa.

quality of the local art in the tampa bay area:
http://gallery.tampaartistemporium.c...image=tae4.jpg
Tampa Artist - Artist Gallery (http://www.tampaartist.com/artistgallery/ - broken link)

Old 12-09-2009, 08:54 AM

57 posts, read 124,450 times
Gypsystar - we actually moved from Orange County,CA to attend school in Philadelphia and as you can tell we are at the beginning stage of zeroing in on our relocation destination...I've had a few west coast areas in mind like San Francisco, Santa Cruz, Carmel/Monterey but I think my husband prefers the east coast...

Of course affordability is something to consider...I'm a professional but chose to stay at home with the kids and fortunately (esp in today's economy) my husband's profession (and our very modest home mortgage) allows us that luxury...but we are not living the lifestyle that we want for our children or ourselves (not meant materialistically)...My husband, although in a stressful profession, is at home about 3 days a week which of course is wonderful (most days ) but since we are minimally involved with extended family (another issue) and do not have many family friends in the area (always working on it) we are often left frustrated with the lack of culture/recreation in the area (we LOVE to 'explore' via ROAD TRIPS!! but are tired of un-exciting rinky-dink small towns in the tri-state area)...hence our dilemma...so we are currently attempting to measure/balance work opportunities and time involved at work (both him and myself as I intend on returning at least part time) with recreation, education, "worldliness" of an area under consideration. This is proving not an easy task and we must make some compromises. We realize there is not one perfect area...and although we can understand why many people are attracted here...we feel that it would be difficult to truly live life in this area...so thank you for all your replies...we will take them all into consideration!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida