U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 06:09 AM

2,113 posts, read 4,220,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Agreed, Rock Newman. I know we dont agree on much, but I agree on this one. Ponte Vedra is awesome and that are right around there. I like St Aug., but probably couldnt find work there, and the drive to Jax is a bi***. But I still like that area and it is WAY better than S FL. The people, the cooler weather, etc. If I were to stay in FL, I'd have to move north, and it'd be either the panhandle or NE FL, somewhere around PV.
Yup we agree on this .... I was surprised how nice and upscale most of St. Johns County is very Weston or Parkland like ... clean , safe , and mostly friendly people ( very Georgia like ) .. Ponte Vedra , what can you say it is lovely ... I also like Jacksonville and was very surprised how much I liked it the first time there .. nice growing downtown and some lovely parks and neighborhoods like San Marco , Riverside and Mandarin ... Jacksonville Beach has some cool funky areas and the little beach towns all down the coast are quaint and lovely ... Amelia Island 30 minutes North is beautiful and again you have a semblance of the seasons unlike most of Florida .... I was up there in early May and in the afternoon it was a very fall like 73 degrees , while Miami was already sweltering at 87 degrees !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 08:25 AM

17 posts, read 25,442 times
I think we can all agree that at times the Florida heat is unbearable you just feel sweaty and sticky but I would rather deal with the heat than the snow!

Old 12-10-2009, 09:02 AM

8,965 posts, read 5,255,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
I am not a native but I have been living here for now fifteen years and vacationing with family since I was a kid ( 30 years ago ) ... I love Florida ... I like the west coast , and north east Florida most of all ... all of Florida is not Miami or even south Florida as many people seem to think ... I travel extensively and yes mountains are nice ( in most cases ) when I lived in Valencia , Ca they could be down right dry , brown and ugly ... I find having mountains nice , but not an essential for quality of life .. I prefer the blue ocean and nice beaches my self .

SoCal has a lot of beauty, but I dont like the dry look of the mountains either. You check out North GA and TN/NC and it's all green - except for in the winter months, but for the most part, it's really green.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:25 AM

1,457 posts, read 3,207,136 times
I've lived here my entire life (ugh). I was born and raised in Broward county. I have been living in Palm Beach county for 18 years now. My parents still live in Broward. There is no way I would ever live in Broward again. Although Palm Beach has gotten more populated, it is in no way like Broward. I live in the western section, so I do have to admit I really do like where I live. I have always wanted to move out of this state to experience other places. I only have one life and don't want to be here for the entirety of it.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:59 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,761,080 times
Hey Rock! Thanks Comsense - I can be pretty funny sometimes LOL - It really is ashame that good people are being push out of Florida! I'm a libra so, I'm all over the place with my decision making - I hear good news and get excited, I hear bad news and get discouraged. I would find the most comfort if I had work then, I could make a better decision - I would have options.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:10 AM

What do you do for work again Chelsa? If you try S FL and dont like it, maybe you can transfer to another area, depending on what your profession is...

Old 12-10-2009, 10:19 AM

Oh I put that in the other post - sorry - I am a legal assistant and my husband is a Pipe Fitter (plumber kind of, but deals more with AC's) - together we make about 170K here, but when homes are 600K for a tiny little thing you can see why it doesn't pay for us to by here.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:34 AM

Sorry, didnt see your response on the other thread.

Holy cow. You guys make some serious money up there! In your profession, I would think you could get a job in many areas of FL.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:49 AM

We do okay - but honestly, when you factor in the cost of living here - it isn't much. Perhaps, I'm being foolish in thinking Florida will be cheaper. I don't want to make half my salary, but I realize that is probably what it will be. Still, you can get a beautiful home there for 225K in a nice area with decent school, here that would cost you about 600k to 700K and that is a much older home with little yard space and needs to be completely renovated. And chances are you will still have to send your kids to Catholic school - that being the more affordable choice over private. It is just really hard all the way around. I'd rather simplify things and own a home than pay rent for the rest of my life!

Old 12-10-2009, 10:50 AM

I pay about 3K for sports for my boys - they are on travel baseball teams and play basketball as well, but goodnes with hotels and training it gets really expensive - do you have any idea what that might cost there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or