U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 01:47 PM

6,124 posts, read 9,181,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Okay Allen - you have lived in other places aside from Florida - that being said, none of them can equate to NYC. I'm not here to debate your opinion on the place you currently live, I'm just saying, I don't think it is as bad as you are making it sound. What you are describing, sounds close to 3rd avenue Bronx in the 70's. All I say is look at the BIG picture and then decide if one is better than the other. In the end perhaps NYC is a better place for you. Just go in with an open mind. Also, know that all those rude and nasty people are supposed to be Northerners. If you leave a place like Florida to go North what do you think you will get then?
I guess your right. But I don't know anymore. Once you live in an area for so long, your not willing to tolerate the changes that come with it. Good or bad. And I guess that is the case with me. It's not right what has been happening. And I don't know what else to say but that I refuse to be apart of it. Maybe I am interpreting it all wrong. Maybe it's as clear as day. All I know is that yes, everywhere in the U.S. has it's problems, but when your a native of that place, it's different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 01:55 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,757,087 times
Allen, you're right - you are a little more sensitive to something when you live through it. That is why stressed I was not trying to debate you on your opinion. Believe me my opinion of NYC right now is not very high, but I can't say what will or will not be good for someone - different strokes for different folks.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:17 PM

8,965 posts, read 5,241,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
LOL - I can use my elbows to get my way to the front too! Thanks Com and I hope that you find you almost perfect place as well!

Hey Chelsa, my two top choices would have to be Greenville SC and Asheville. Both have crime too, I think Asheville and Greenville are both (overall) safe though. Well, I have lived in ASheville for 10 yrs, and I never felt unsafe. Here in Orlando, even though I live in a pretty nice area, there are still things a bit unsettling. A few violent crimes (2 deaths), one guy shot in the neck but survived, a girl from UCF got raped, a few other home invasions/robberies. Thank God nothing has afected us or anyone I know in our area, but it does happen and I dont NOT let my wife go out by herself jogging at night. In Asheville, I would, especially in a neighborhood where homes are as expensive as the ones in my area (or used to be before the market tanked). Crime is everywhere, this is true. But where I live right now, and many other areas, it just has a little bit of a sketchy feel to it, and I didnt feel that way in Asheville. Not even in our area of Asheville which isnt as nice as other parts of Asheville.

Greenville is bigger, not as mountainous, but it's hilly. Like Asheville, tons of people from FL, CA, etc... but they seem to be happier and more friendly than some of the transplants that we get in FL. Maybe some folks moved to FL thinking it would be paradise b/c it doesnt get cold, only to find out the place they were trying to escape has recreated itself down in FL. Think about it, and this is just an example... but millions of unhappy - (maybe not necessarily unhappy, maybe some are over-aggressive, pushy, and loud) folks from NY, NJ, Massachusetts, etc all move to FL. What does FL now become? Same people, same attitudes, just a different location.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:26 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,757,087 times
You are right Com - but it is still a step up from where I live for me.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:48 AM

78 posts, read 205,172 times
Thumbs down Stay far, FAR away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron305 View Post
So i've been reading alot of post and well there are so many people bashing Florida. So i just wanted to know what those who were born AND raised in Florida think of the "Sunshine State".

People from FL are incredibly rude!!! Not to mention self centered, unfriendly, ignorant, and very pushy! I have been to many states and find most to be friendly....but not FL. I am FINALLY leaning here in a couple of weeks. It is over rated, expensive, has terrible driving conditions, road rage, natural gas leaks and home explosions everywhere you go. Oh and lets not forget the poor dogs being electricuted by live wires in the streets that the electric company can not figure out how to fix. Public transportation is smelly and filthy. There is no parking anywhere. People are too stupid to read the dont walk signs and run in front of moving cars....even with strollers and their dogs!!! The taxes, health care costs, home costs and just the cost of living in general is crazy...especially considering the quality of life is so poor. I have spent a lot of time in CA, CO, UT, AZ, NV, NC, CT, NH, RI, and others and you will find something you dislikie anywhere....but nothing as out of control and hostile as FL. At least in other states people smile, say thank, dont tell you to "F" off and run you off the road! I think a BIG reason why a lot of the people I personally know here in FL love it so much is because they are all too close minded to venture to another part of the country...God forbid something be better than their so called precious FL!!!! So them staying here.....this is all they know, and so they just go with it and think this is the way to live!

Old 01-23-2010, 08:41 AM

14,313 posts, read 28,588,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8move8away8 View Post

People from FL are incredibly rude!!! Not to mention self centered, unfriendly, ignorant, and very pushy! I have been to many states and find most to be friendly....but not FL. I am FINALLY leaning here in a couple of weeks. It is over rated, expensive, has terrible driving conditions, road rage, natural gas leaks and home explosions everywhere you go. Oh and lets not forget the poor dogs being electricuted by live wires in the streets that the electric company can not figure out how to fix. Public transportation is smelly and filthy. There is no parking anywhere. People are too stupid to read the dont walk signs and run in front of moving cars....even with strollers and their dogs!!! The taxes, health care costs, home costs and just the cost of living in general is crazy...especially considering the quality of life is so poor. I have spent a lot of time in CA, CO, UT, AZ, NV, NC, CT, NH, RI, and others and you will find something you dislikie anywhere....but nothing as out of control and hostile as FL. At least in other states people smile, say thank, dont tell you to "F" off and run you off the road! I think a BIG reason why a lot of the people I personally know here in FL love it so much is because they are all too close minded to venture to another part of the country...God forbid something be better than their so called precious FL!!!! So them staying here.....this is all they know, and so they just go with it and think this is the way to live!
Bye-bye!

Old 01-23-2010, 08:59 AM

4,186 posts, read 9,794,239 times
I'm a native Floridian, but i don't have the southern mentality of most other Florida natives since i'm younger and was raised in a family who migrated here from Long Island before i was born. But i like it here. I've been all over the U.S. and there are not many other places I'd rather live.

Last edited by GLS2010; 01-23-2010 at 09:33 AM..

Old 01-23-2010, 09:16 AM

8,965 posts, read 5,241,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I guess your right. But I don't know anymore. Once you live in an area for so long, your not willing to tolerate the changes that come with it. Good or bad. And I guess that is the case with me. It's not right what has been happening. And I don't know what else to say but that I refuse to be apart of it. Maybe I am interpreting it all wrong. Maybe it's as clear as day. All I know is that yes, everywhere in the U.S. has it's problems, but when your a native of that place, it's different.

And I agree. I think a lot of native Floridians and long-time residents who have seen the changes, and let's be honest, they arent mostly positive ones, it is hard to come to grips with it. It's like, "man, I used to like this place so much, but it's changed so much, that everything I used to love about it is gone."

Old 01-23-2010, 09:22 AM

283 posts, read 798,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8move8away8 View Post

I can tell you haven't been to NYC during rush hour on a Friday with a holiday weekend

Old 01-23-2010, 09:27 AM

11,501 posts, read 12,679,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Bye-bye!

I second that one.

More room for people to enjoy life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or