Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 08:50 AM

17 posts, read 30,688 times

Advertisements

So i've been reading alot of post and well there are so many people bashing Florida. So i just wanted to know what those who were born AND raised in Florida think of the "Sunshine State".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 08:51 AM

17 posts, read 30,688 times
Iv'e lived in Florida all my life and I love it.I wouldn't want to be from anywhere else!!

Old 12-09-2009, 09:06 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
It's changed drastically. It still has some nice, laid back anf friendly areas and people, but not like it used to be. The changes that have occurred (imo) have had a negative affect on the state, and so I like FL still but dont like all the changes.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:14 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,457,397 times
I live in Miami, so different from other parts of the state. For me its just way to hot and humid most of the year. I can deal with all the other good and bad issues, but I am over the hibernating for 6-8 months out of the year because it either too hot, too humid or too rainy many months out of the year. I prefer a place that spends most of the year under 70 degrees (I don't mind 2-3 months of heat, just not 8 months of heat).

Most of Florida (not all) is pretty flat, I wish we had some Mountains to look at. I love that its green most of the year with the exception of 2 months. I love that the ocean is close by. I love that we have theme parks with a few hours drive.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:23 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,765,686 times
Doggie, your post is very refreshing - while you admit there are things you really dislike about Florida, there are also things that you love. Now the question is, are you willing to give up what you love for your dislikes?

I just hope I love Florida when I finally get there.

Comsense - I think that what you are describing is a trend across the united states. Some people conform and some don't. We as the nice/polite people need to make the rude nasty people conform rather than conforming to their ways. That is really what is happening. You have a nice person who holds a door for a person or 3 and none say thank you. Well then that person doesn't want to hold the door anymore, so, the next time they let the door close on the little old lady and she says something under her breath and it just spirals from there. It really is trajic! I hold doors, say thank you, walk old people across the street, help lead the blind, etc. I get irate when people don't say thank you or hold the door for me - I want to cause physical harm to them, (this is really bad, I know, but it is how I feel) I mean I don't want to kill them, but a little slap in the back of the head to say hey don't you have any manners.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:23 AM

27 posts, read 132,487 times
Some of us are feeling over crowded, and financially... well at times it looks bleak. Jobs often go to new transplants willing to make less, lowering salaries for everyone! It some areas, it just feels that you're not valued because 200 other people would be more than happy to have your job and take less pay for it!

So, you balance that with a laid back lifestyle, beautiful weather most of the time, fascinating thunderstorms and electric storms over the water.... wildlife everywhere you look. Heck, I just discovered that otters are everywhere if you just keep an eye out for them. The most beautiful birds on the planet are here too... Hawks, Ibis, colorful tropical birds... then a flock of parrots decide to roost in your trees..

We're rich in history too, and to walk into an old house.. that wonderful (moldy) smell..... Creaking boards.

But yeah... you do wonder if life could be slower paced, more friendly, and not such a rat race hamster-in-a-wheel existence. It does get tiring when you work so hard and not much time left over to enjoy the beauty!

Old 12-09-2009, 10:50 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,765,686 times
worded perfectly!

Old 12-09-2009, 10:53 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Doggie, your post is very refreshing - while you admit there are things you really dislike about Florida, there are also things that you love. Now the question is, are you willing to give up what you love for your dislikes?

I just hope I love Florida when I finally get there.

Comsense - I think that what you are describing is a trend across the united states. Some people conform and some don't. We as the nice/polite people need to make the rude nasty people conform rather than conforming to their ways. That is really what is happening. You have a nice person who holds a door for a person or 3 and none say thank you. Well then that person doesn't want to hold the door anymore, so, the next time they let the door close on the little old lady and she says something under her breath and it just spirals from there. It really is trajic! I hold doors, say thank you, walk old people across the street, help lead the blind, etc. I get irate when people don't say thank you or hold the door for me - I want to cause physical harm to them, (this is really bad, I know, but it is how I feel) I mean I don't want to kill them, but a little slap in the back of the head to say hey don't you have any manners.
Chelsa, your hilarious!

And I know what you mean... so many times in traffic especially, I let people go in front of me if they are trying to pull out and onto a busy street, etc... and very rarely a simple 'thank you'. I always go out of my way to wave or say thanks if someone does that for me. At times, I get so frustrated that nobody in Orlando (or S FL) says 'thank you' when I am being polite, sometimes I wonder why I even bother. I was at Lowes or HD a couple months ago trying to cross the parking lot and go into the store, and it was pouring rain. I had my little daughter with me, and we were getting rained on and I was trying to get into the store, and two cars passed me and neither car stopped for us so that we could cross the parking lot. It's very frustrating. But since our plans are to relocate back to NC, I dont want to lose those kind gestures because up there kind gestures like that are very common and I dont wanna lose that friendliness/thoughtfulness. Then people up there will think I'm rude, and I dont want to appear that way because I got burned down here so many times.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:54 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,775,944 times
I was raised in Florida but left in 2005 after living there the first 35 years of my life. I used to really like it years ago, but as many have mentioned on these boards things went downhill very fast from about the mid to late 90's to present.

But my two biggest problems were the low wages and the weather. My salary is about 35% higher now up north for the same type of job, and the cost of living is actually lower where I live now, so I am more comfortable financially than I ever was in FL. And even though I never lived in another climate, I NEVER adapted to the heat. Always hated it with a passion. It never ends down there. I love the seasons, snow and cold weather now, I guess it was always in my genes, and FL was never the right climate for me. I bothers me when people on this forum talk about the hot FL weather and tell potential newcomers "you'll get used to it", because it simply isn't true for some people. Even when I get homesick for some things I miss about FL, I remember the neverending 90+ degree days in summer or the many 82 degree Christmases I experienced and remember why I left! Not everyone wants to wear "shorts and flip flops" year round as is posted so often on these forums.

But part of the weather I DO miss are the thunderstorms! I used to look forward to those every summer day, not just to cool down the temps, but because I always found them enchanting in some way. I've yet to see a thunderstorm up here in PA that can match the average Central Florida summer storm.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:00 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,920,068 times
I was born in Bradenton in SW Florida and I love it here. I've actually never seen snow. I wouldn't think of living anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida