Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 06:15 PM

1,275 posts, read 3,415,042 times

Advertisements

I live in South Florida and am going to take a small vacation over Winter break to North Florida/the Panhandle. However, I need advice on a destination. I would like to visit an area that is rather country(no big cities), is in a hilly part of Florida(no flat areas), and maybe has some antique malls(for my mom), outlet stores, and a cute Bed & Breakfast. Can you all recommend a place that has rolling hills and is away from the bigger cities, that maybe has a B&B, Antique mall or outlet stores, somewhere in North Florida or the Panhandle? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 05:51 AM

18,119 posts, read 11,753,710 times
Compass Lake in the Hills (http://www.compass-lake.com/ - broken link)-

Check this out.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:33 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,415,042 times
^ ^ Thank you, I will definetly check it out! It's funny, I'm a Florida native but I know relatively little about the rest of my home state. I've only spent time in South Florida and the Jacksonville/Atlantic Beach area, only because a relative lived in the latter. It takes so LONG just to drive out of this state that usually I'm just focused on getting out of here, lol. I figured that since I'll finally be moving out of state, I'd better finally see the rest of the state. I was really hoping to find an area to visit that looks nothing like what I see everyday, maybe get a chance to experience some real Winter weather. I don't expect snow but I'd be thrilled to spend some time this December in temps actually under 85°! Thanks again!

Old 12-13-2009, 08:40 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,771,305 times
Bring some warm clothes, cause its been cold and damp lately up here . After you spend some time out in the country a bit, put on your list Destin and Navarre, Fl. and take in some nice beaches...weather permitting . We could hit 70 f. like last Christmas did. Theres lots of neat stores in Destin along Route 98 and perhaps you could catch a walk along Destin Harbor although it might look a bit barren as compared to the summer months but nevertheless, still beautiful like it was yesterday when i was there.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:05 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,916,759 times
NE FL wont have any hills. Try the panhandle to see "hills." I have always heard pretty good things about Crestview, Chipley and that area.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:37 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,916,759 times
What county is it in? And where are the "hills?"

Old 12-13-2009, 09:41 AM

440 posts, read 2,426,186 times
We think that if you are taking the time to visit North Florida, you should definitely check out the Emerald Coast ... more specifically the Beaches of South Walton (Scenic 30A), Destin, etc. But this location is not going to meet your needs for "hills". However, if you were to stay in this area and really need the hills, you could take little day trips up to places around Defuniak Springs or Florala (near AL border) -- both of these locations have some antique shops on the main street and perhaps a bed & breakfast -- both are very small towns. There is a lot of beautiful country just north of our beaches. Not much to do. But beautiful country and some actual hills. Anywho, if you need any other suggestions, please feel free to ask.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:46 AM

Yes, While it's true many years ago the lake lots were selling for $40K + up and now the normal sized acre lot is approximately $5K (sound familiar with the rest of the state/USA?) the beauty of the Hills is untouched.

I recommended a vacation spot at the cabins in Compass Lake in the Hills. Ever been there? I actually lived two miles away. I had more fun on vacation than years worth of living there.

It's total and complete country settings - woody and dirt roads. Inland from Panama City Beach. If you make a stop here and then continue on to the western beach route, it's very beautiful. The Gulf Beaches are most beautiful in Florida state. As one stated, stop to Destin or National Seashore beach.

Last edited by 2goldens; 12-13-2009 at 07:32 PM..

Old 12-13-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
NE FL wont have any hills. Try the panhandle to see "hills." I have always heard pretty good things about Crestview, Chipley and that area.

Chipley??!!! What's in Chipley?

I-10 congested area - Walmart, gas stations, chain fast foods.
More north away from I-10 would be old Victorian homes- yes beautiful homes to look at or purchase. Crestview is about the same thing.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
What county is it in? And where are the "hills?"

The Hills are 20 minutes south of Marianna along Highway 231 route to Panama City Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida