Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2009, 08:55 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,527,238 times

Advertisements

Anyone on this board an old junker like me? I have been doing garage sales, estate sales, but, particularly, thrift/resale stores for over 30 year and love it.
Primarily I buy things for the house and clothing that is different or very expensive for myself (like, say, a hand painted purse or a really expensive suit or a really different vase).

What would be considered the BEST area of the State of Florida to look for these things at these sales? Granted, alot depends on luck, but some areas are always better than others. So, would it be the Tampa region? The Sarasota area? Orlando region? W. Palm Beach region? Where?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 09:42 AM

17,452 posts, read 38,829,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
Anyone on this board an old junker like me? I have been doing garage sales, estate sales, but, particularly, thrift/resale stores for over 30 year and love it.
Primarily I buy things for the house and clothing that is different or very expensive for myself (like, say, a hand painted purse or a really expensive suit or a really different vase).

What would be considered the BEST area of the State of Florida to look for these things at these sales? Granted, alot depends on luck, but some areas are always better than others. So, would it be the Tampa region? The Sarasota area? Orlando region? W. Palm Beach region? Where?
Hahaha - I think I live in one of the best areas I've ever seen here in Florida for that - right here in Bradenton/Sarasota - tons of garage sales, thrift shops, the BEST Goodwills in the country, antique shops and malls, etc., etc. We have found incredible bargains on vintage furniture for our house, plus I sell vintage clothes on ebay and find many nice items here. You do have to hunt though, but then, that's the fun of it!

I imagine it would be similar in other wealthier cities in the state. Tampa is pretty good, too, but some of the best scrounging is in some of the not-so-nice parts of town. There are also some really great, HUGE thrift shops there.

If you come here be sure to LEAVE SOME STUFF FOR ME - lol!

Old 12-14-2009, 10:00 PM

The best junk is usually in the cruddy parts of town or as I refer to it: I'm the only one in there with a full set of teeth. I've junked in some really dangerous and skunky areas where proper ladies don't dare go into..haha! Really crack-type areas have some of the best junk.
Have you ever gone to W. Palm Beach to look? I'd be curious to look over there, too.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:51 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,239,019 times
Oh yea, right up my alley.

Two places come to mind right away. Both are places we hit every single time we are in Florida.

Webster - A small town northeast of Orlando. A HUGE flea market every Monday morning. ( go early, like 6-7 am ). This market is one of the best in the country. It has slowed down some c/o the economy but still is a junk buyers heaven every single Monday. A cannot miss place!

Mt. Dora - Go on Fridays and shop the large amounts of antique shops in Mt Dora, then go to the Renningers Flea Market on the weekends. Especially during the extravaganza's. Check out their website for dates.

If we have time, I can stop at these two places and other antique shops along the way to and from Florida to pay for our entire trip. I have been known to fill the back of a large van with goodies to bring home to re -sell.

Once in Webster a few years ago, we bought so much stuff that we had to rent a pull behind UHaul trailer and bring it home behind our van.

Others places for junkies-

Cowboy Junction
Waldo
Dania
Big Top
Webbs Antiques in Lake City

Sanford, Eustis, Deland, Plant City all have nice weekday flea markets year around.

As Gypsychic stated, thrift stores, oh my, Florida has some of the best.
We found an early 1900's silver and glass wedding basket at a thrift store in Ft Myers for 2.50 and sold it on ebay for 300.00.

Next, just follow Gypsychic around!!

When she pulls in to a store, park quick and run inside ahead of her.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:15 AM

3,417 posts, read 7,747,657 times
Downtown Arcadia has a lot of antique stores.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:48 AM

Never heard of Webster, so thanks for that. I LOVE junking and always will. One of my favorite things in the world. I can just see my house now...filled to the brim with crap from new flea markets I've explored there..haha!

Old 12-15-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
Never heard of Webster, so thanks for that. I LOVE junking and always will. One of my favorite things in the world. I can just see my house now...filled to the brim with crap from new flea markets I've explored there..haha!
Webster is a must see.

We have filled van loads going to that market for years.

They have a mix of antiques, modern and new but do not have as many sock and t shirt booths as most of the other Florida markets do.

You can google earth webster flea market and see what I mean.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:42 AM

3 posts, read 7,563 times
Moving to Oviedo any good thrift stores are goodwill stores in that area.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:41 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,728,515 times
[quote=Sunny-Days-in-Florida;12031653]

Webster - A small town northeast of Orlando. A HUGE flea market every Monday morning. ( go early, like 6-7 am ). T/quote]

Sorry Sunny, but I'm looking Webster up on google maps and I see a place that's north*west* of Orlando, not northeast. Is this the place?

Old 07-31-2011, 12:17 PM

[quote=Wwanderer;20256256]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post

Webster - A small town northeast of Orlando. A HUGE flea market every Monday morning. ( go early, like 6-7 am ). T/quote]

Sorry Sunny, but I'm looking Webster up on google maps and I see a place that's north*west* of Orlando, not northeast. Is this the place?
Yes, you are correct.

Monday mornings, starting in September you will need to be there around 6-7 am as the lines will be way down the streets during the winter months.

It is a town, but the Flea Market is huge. Slow during the summer months but it will pick up during the winter months and will be packed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida