Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 01:01 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,118,057 times

Advertisements

IF those 4 or 5 would look in the mirror, maybe they can see for themselves why they are so unhappy. Why did they leave the nirvana they lived in before coming here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Wow - California is way down there, too! As far as the "majority here disliking Florida", it's actually only about the same 4 or 5 posters who post and rant prolifically day after day, so it just seems like more! lol!

99.99% of the population here are NOT on this forum, they are out enjoying themselves and being happy in this beautiful state! I'm happy too, for me, Florida is the best!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 01:28 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,199,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
"The scientists caution, however, that the top spot, Louisiana, might not reflect current levels of well-being since the data were collected before the disruption caused by Hurricane Katrina. They are confident that data for the other states does accurately reflect happiness levels."

Huh? So the data for Louisiana was taken pre-Katrina, but "all the others states accurately reflect happiness levels". What?

I just dont really see it for FL being number 3. Too many ticked off people, number 1 in divorce, 2nd in foreclosures, add to that the traffic, congestion, and crime. I just dont really buy that one.
I actually think divorce will double the happiness, if what you are saying is correct. Before it was one unhappy family answering the polls, now two happy family after ending their bad relationship. See? Now if I can only find the study that says people are in their peak happiness JUST after a divorce.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:25 PM

Location: I will be escaping Suck City and landing in Tampa in December
346 posts, read 910,273 times
Florida is right where it ought to be. It will be #1 forever if a few more Fortune 500s move HQ to the state.

I'm surprised that Arizona finished so high. I would've thought it would be right where Nevada was. Not surprised at all that California is near the bottom.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:00 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,219,447 times
Hawaii I can understand, but Louisiana and Florida? I think they conducted the survey at Disney World and Mardi Gras. I'd like to see more information - what questions where asked, where the responders lived, what year they were asked.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:44 PM

27 posts, read 86,228 times
Default 4 year survey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
A couple of people obviously did not take the time to read the article.

The survey was done pre Katrina.

I would think surveying 1.3 million people and asking them how happy they are gives it much more credibility than those reports that either have a reference sample of 1-2 thousand or don't even actually talk to people, they just figure people make more money there so they must be happier.
Why would they publish a survey that is 4 years old The world has changed considerably since 2005. This survey is too old to be accurate or relavent. IMO

Old 12-18-2009, 04:50 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,687,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
If FL were in the middle of the pack, I'd say it's probably accurate. But what strange is that in a poll several months ago on orlandosentinel.com, they did a big poll on their website, not sure how many total votes they got. Few hundred thousand? But it was something like half or more of the people who votes were planning on leaving the state or trying. That doesnt seem like the happiest place. And South Carolina beat out NC? SC's crime is much higher overall, far less funding for schools, higher unemployment rate, etc... And getting back to our state of FL, I just see too mant ticked off people, in stores, in line, on the roads, cursing, giving people the finger, overall just a lot of tense people. Like I said, I just dont see it.
you exaggerate way to much man. I live in your part of Orlando and i rarely see people like that if ever.. I think it has to do with the on looker. If your a negative or unhappy person you will only notice other negative/unhappy people, but if your a positive/happy person you don't really pay attention to the unhappy people nor associate your self with them. Most of the people i see here seem happy to me.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:52 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,687,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasotadreaming View Post
Why would they publish a survey that is 4 years old The world has changed considerably since 2005. This survey is too old to be accurate or relavent. IMO
Only SOME numbers were used from before 2005 because they haven't been updated. Most of the information they used was current, including the surveys.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:52 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasotadreaming View Post
It's not a four year old survey. It's a survey that took place over the course of four years. IMO, that's much more accurate than one that takes a snap shot of one particular place in time.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:00 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,910,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matchpoint View Post
Florida is right where it ought to be. It will be #1 forever if a few more Fortune 500s move HQ to the state.

I'm surprised that Arizona finished so high. I would've thought it would be right where Nevada was. Not surprised at all that California is near the bottom.

hahaha. When I read that I had to look at your location, and then remembered that you dont live here yet.

FL's problems are pretty consistent with those of CA's and AZ's. So not sure awhy you would put CA and AZ near the bottom and FL at the top.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:07 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,910,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
you exaggerate way to much man. I live in your part of Orlando and i rarely see people like that if ever.. I think it has to do with the on looker. If your a negative or unhappy person you will only notice other negative/unhappy people, but if your a positive/happy person you don't really pay attention to the unhappy people nor associate your self with them. Most of the people i see here seem happy to me.
Another person that lives here in Orlando said the exact same thing as I did (the impatience, the rudeness, road rage). I witnessed something idiotic tonight in fact. Right by Publix by my house in Avalon Park. Constantly weaving in and out of the two lanes, trying to get one car ahead every 5 seconds. We get to a light, the person had to get in the right lane again as there was ONE less car waiting at the light. Probably saved themselves 3 seconds - if that. Then we get to the 4 way stop by Publix and now they want to make a left but they're in the right lane. What'd they do? They put their FLASHERS on and people went around them. Then after a few cars went around them and the coast was clear, they took a LEFT turn from the RIGHT lane. At an intersection. I've never seen so many idiots and impatient jerks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida