U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-17-2009, 07:28 PM
 
Location: Orlando Suburbs
228 posts, read 440,716 times
Reputation: 139

Advertisements

Although it seems a majority of the people here dislike Florida, it ranks high in the happiest state. Guess who brings up the rear?

Happiest States Revealed by New Research - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20091217/sc_livescience/happieststatesrevealedbynewresearch - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-17-2009, 07:56 PM
 
14,313 posts, read 28,588,869 times
Reputation: 16328
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Developer View Post
Although it seems a majority of the people here dislike Florida, it ranks high in the happiest state. Guess who brings up the rear?

Happiest States Revealed by New Research - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20091217/sc_livescience/happieststatesrevealedbynewresearch - broken link)
Wow - California is way down there, too! As far as the "majority here disliking Florida", it's actually only about the same 4 or 5 posters who post and rant prolifically day after day, so it just seems like more! lol!

99.99% of the population here are NOT on this forum, they are out enjoying themselves and being happy in this beautiful state! I'm happy too, for me, Florida is the best!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2009, 08:20 PM
 
Location: FLORIDA
8,965 posts, read 5,241,824 times
Reputation: 3331
The happiest states:

1. Louisiana
2. Hawaii
3. Florida
4. Tennessee
5. Arizona
6. Mississippi
7. Montana
8. South Carolina
9. Alabama
10. Maine


^^^I'm glad to see FL in the top 3, but I definitely have to wonder about it. So many people seem so unhappy and angry here in FL. Louisiana number 1? Come on now. Katrina, high crime (one of the worst if not the worst per capita year after year), poor schools, poverty, etc... No. I just dont buy it. And I dont buy FL at number 3 either. Too many people upset/angry all the time, divorced (number 1 in the U.S.), bankrupt/foreclosures, upside down in their mortgage, unemployed... And then they got Minnesota 26th after it's listed as the state with the best quality of life year after year...........not buying it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2009, 08:29 PM
 
1,377 posts, read 3,575,119 times
Reputation: 980
Wow, Louisiana No. 1? ROFL!!! That list has "0" credibility as do most so-called "lists". Happiness is different for each and every person. Some ppl love FL and some ppl love Utah, 2 cents. I have friends who always have a blast in New Orleans though, hmmm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2009, 09:30 PM
 
2,930 posts, read 5,891,788 times
Reputation: 1366
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
And then they got Minnesota 26th after it's listed as the state with the best quality of life year after year...........not buying it.
They are totally different surveys. In this one they asked people directly. The other survey was some experts opinion and analysis. 1.3 million people is a good sample. The negative posters are a very small sample(10 people? 12?) to represent all Florida's population.

NY was #51. Time to reconsider your relocation plans Comsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2009, 09:43 PM
 
Location: Hernando County, FL
8,489 posts, read 16,959,495 times
Reputation: 5397
A couple of people obviously did not take the time to read the article.

The survey was done pre Katrina.

I would think surveying 1.3 million people and asking them how happy they are gives it much more credibility than those reports that either have a reference sample of 1-2 thousand or don't even actually talk to people, they just figure people make more money there so they must be happier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2009, 10:18 PM
 
8,376 posts, read 26,720,095 times
Reputation: 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
The happiest states:

1. Louisiana
2. Hawaii
3. Florida
4. Tennessee
5. Arizona
6. Mississippi
7. Montana
8. South Carolina
9. Alabama
10. Maine


^^^I'm glad to see FL in the top 3, but I definitely have to wonder about it. So many people seem so unhappy and angry here in FL. Louisiana number 1? Come on now. Katrina, high crime (one of the worst if not the worst per capita year after year), poor schools, poverty, etc... No. I just dont buy it. And I dont buy FL at number 3 either. Too many people upset/angry all the time, divorced (number 1 in the U.S.), bankrupt/foreclosures, upside down in their mortgage, unemployed... And then they got Minnesota 26th after it's listed as the state with the best quality of life year after year...........not buying it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
Wow, Louisiana No. 1? ROFL!!! That list has "0" credibility as do most so-called "lists". Happiness is different for each and every person. Some ppl love FL and some ppl love Utah, 2 cents. I have friends who always have a blast in New Orleans though, hmmm.
...
Quote:
The scientists caution, however, that the top spot, Louisiana, might not reflect current levels of well-being since the data were collected before the disruption caused by Hurricane Katrina. They are confident that data for the other states does accurately reflect happiness levels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2009, 10:35 PM
 
154 posts, read 351,466 times
Reputation: 158
That's shocking the way people Bash Fl online and in real life

its probably because of all the happy people who moved out of nj/ny LOL


I wonder does the weather play a part in this i know im more happier when its not cold outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2009, 11:02 PM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
150 posts, read 393,828 times
Reputation: 106
I'm glad our state is up there. As I posted in a similar thread in the MS forum, it's all about finding the right place to thrive. You're only as unhappy as you want to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2009, 01:02 AM
 
3,748 posts, read 7,020,800 times
Reputation: 3665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
A couple of people obviously did not take the time to read the article.

The survey was done pre Katrina.

I would think surveying 1.3 million people and asking them how happy they are gives it much more credibility than those reports that either have a reference sample of 1-2 thousand or don't even actually talk to people, they just figure people make more money there so they must be happier.
If PreKatrina - it was also at the height of the real estate market when everyone in FL thought it would never end. I remember an article about a woman in Miami who cleaned hotel rooms who owned 8 condos! all bought with the intention to flip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top