U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 11:39 AM

4 posts, read 21,035 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm a longtime lurker here and I live in Indiana. I hate our winters and was wondering..

Do Florida winters ever get you down? Not as in it's too warm but as in it's not summer i.e. the days are too short, the sun's too low in the sky, the trees are bare. I know temperatures are fairly nice until a cold front rolls through) but how about the things I listed above?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 01:47 PM

6,853 posts, read 19,798,882 times
Our Winters are the best time here. Mid May through October are our worst months. Temperatures can be warm in the winter depending on what part of the state you are in, so the cold fronts are look forward too, people like it when they come. It may be in the 80s on Christmas day next week, ughhh, it gives us a break from the heat and humidity. We may have a few trees that lose their leaves, for the majority of the trees will still have leaves on the trees during winter. Days to short, we don't get dark as early as you guys up north do. Is the sun too low in the sky, I don't know what you mean by this?

Old 12-18-2009, 02:50 PM

7,678 posts, read 16,092,150 times
It's currently in the high 40s with 25mph wind gusts, and the sun is going down at 4:30pm today. I'm definitely wishing I was further south right now, or at least in the Eastern time zone.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:57 PM

1,259 posts, read 3,276,368 times
Exactly, most Floridians live for the winter,summer here is like your winter,it can't end fast enough.Summer is 90-95 degrees with super high humidity and constant rain with threats of hurricanes.Winter is usually very nice with temperatures ranging from warm to downright chilly after cold fronts pass and winters are also the time we get totally clear sunny skies,even if this winter has been more wet than other years so far.So when you ask if winters ever get us down,no it's the rest of the year with high heat,rain and humidity that at least gets me down.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:24 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,966,090 times
The only thing I like about SW Florida winters is that it isn't SW Florida Spring, Summer, or Fall. It is all relative. 70s is better than 90s with 100 heat indexes.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:05 PM

4,186 posts, read 10,297,465 times
I love Florida winters, it's gonna get into the low 40s upper 30s all weekend and the first half of next week with highs in the high 50s low 60s. then it looks like it will be in the 50s with a high in the low 70s on Christmas eve, then it's supposed to cool down again a little on Christmas with a high in the 60s. my favorite winter weather here is highs in the mid 70s and lows in the 50s with blue sunny skies, which happens a lot . But I don't mind this colder forecast we have this comming weekend/week because it's the Christmas season, so it'll feel nice.

I'm talking about the Orlando area of FL btw. The weather could be different in south Fl

Old 12-18-2009, 05:03 PM

2,996 posts, read 4,916,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoboy89 View Post
Hi all,

I'm a longtime lurker here and I live in Indiana. I hate our winters and was wondering..

Do Florida winters ever get you down? Not as in it's too warm but as in it's not summer i.e. the days are too short, the sun's too low in the sky, the trees are bare. I know temperatures are fairly nice until a cold front rolls through) but how about the things I listed above?

Thanks in advance
I just moved down to the FLorida Panhandle from far northern Illinois. I love it here. I laugh now when i watch the weather report for illinois and see people fighting the snow and ice and bitter cold. I did that for about 50 winters up there. So glad to be away from it . It MAKES a difference having mild temps in the winter ... I just hung up my shorts and T shirt recently ! The Sun makes a big difference on the way you feel too. The people are much nicer down here versus the Midwest , and its cheaper living as well. Beaches close by and plenty of acitivites especially from April thru October . Id never go back to the Midwest .

Old 12-18-2009, 08:17 PM

4 posts, read 21,035 times
we don't get dark as early as you guys up north do. Is the sun too low in the sky, I don't know what you mean by this?

Well I just looked up the sunset in Miami and it's 5:30 vs 5:20 here. IMHO that's not a big enough difference to make me feel better. As far as the sun, I'm probably a weirdo but I like the look of the summertime sun angle. It's just brighter to me and looks more tropical. However, I do think that the blue skies you guys get in the winter is nicer looking than the hazy skies you get in the summertime.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:59 PM

3,633 posts, read 8,531,425 times
Florida winters are the best part of living here, because it sure isn't the summers..... Being from both ends, New England, and here for 15 years, like others say, summer here is like winter up north.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:20 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,109,705 times
This is our second winter here. In the next 10 days the highs will range from 58F to 67F, which is a little chilly. I'll have to dig out some long pants. I might even wear socks. I've acclimated so well that I will probably be cold! I work full time, so lack of daylight really bums me out. I can't ride my bike after work because it's dark. We have so many pines and palms here, that lack of leaves is not all that noticeable, but there is definitely a change in plants if you are observant. I like that we can go long stretches without air conditioning or heat. Anyway, it's really just the shorter days that bother me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida