Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 09:14 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,300,717 times

Advertisements

Well Mike I guess that you might be some upper class who never finds themselves not having gas to go to the grocery store! I know this is probably shocking to you since you seem to think everyone is making over $50k a year here! so, money does make people happy to be able to get $10 bucks in gas and get some groceries! (and this is MIDDLE class! not all, but enough people have to make decisions as to what to do what the little they make, something you obviously don't relate too)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 09:38 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
Mike, you understand what I am talking about. Instead of reading all the BAD NEWS (oh, btw, Hernando unemployment up again, over 15 pct now), I wanted people to see that relocating to Florida is not the bad dream that a few of you folks profess it to be. Some posters make it sound like it is some wasteland of junk cars that speed down the road driven by drunk drivers with no license and no insurance who live in mobile homes that have been battered by hurricanes for decades, have no education and don't earn enough money to feed themselves much less have electricity and running water.

That makes anyone dreaming of making a relocation to Florida to find their little paradise look at it in a very negative way.

I wanted it shown that if I did it anyone with a desire and a brain can do it to. Its called ambition. It is necessary no matter where you go where you stay. If you dont have ambition, then you are going to be very unhappy in life no matter what. One man's paradise is another man's hell. Since we are still alive we all have that choice.

Did I say that nothing has gone wrong in life over the years? The death of two parents, numerous aunts and uncles, a sister in law, health situations that had to be overcome or are still being dealt with, job changes (mostly by my choice thankfully), a major hurricane (charlie - the eye of the storm was
3 miles away). No, no bed of roses.

What has to be painted along with the few stories of gloom and doom is many stories of happiness on the peninsula. There is a whole lot of it out there. I'm not the only one who found happiness in leaving where they lived. That's why we do it. After years of thinking "there has to be a better way", I found it.

Is it for everyone? No. Can everyone do it? Yes, if they try. Should everyone pack up and move to Floirda? No, its crowded enough, we need to keep the flow going out some to stabilize the resources.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:41 AM

If you don't have gas to go to the grocery store, walk. Take a bike ride.
But if you don't have money for the gas, guess no money for food. The median income is sharply less than 50k a year here. If you don't earn enough
get better at what you do or change to a field that you can make more money in. Dare to do what you dare to dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Well Mike I guess that you might be some upper class who never finds themselves not having gas to go to the grocery store! I know this is probably shocking to you since you seem to think everyone is making over $50k a year here! so, money does make people happy to be able to get $10 bucks in gas and get some groceries! (and this is MIDDLE class! not all, but enough people have to make decisions as to what to do what the little they make, something you obviously don't relate too)

Old 12-19-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiddles View Post
I hear you. We'll get there - I don't give up once I have my heart set on something.

Plan. Plan and plan some more. Plan A and Plan B.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
I dont know exactly where you live in Maine, but i wouldnt expect anywhere near the quality of life, natural beauty,"real people", that you enjoy up there. It doesen't exist down here. I truley believe for myself that what i had to give up to get some warmer weather in the winter wasen't worth it. But now would definatly be the time to do it with houses selling for next to nothing ,if you deceided that you didnt like it you'd be loseing a whole lot less than a lot of people.

Ken - it depends on how you define "quality of life". For some it's cold and snow from September right through April, for others it's a walk on the beach on New Year's Day in shorts and sandals. For some it's seeing deer eating from your feeder or a moose trekking through the snow. For some its dolphins and manatees in their natural habitat.

Wonderful country, ain't it?

Old 12-19-2009, 09:58 AM

180 posts, read 555,814 times
Dear city-data forum members, chronic usage of caps lock and exclamation marks does not make you appear smarter or more accurate. It makes you appear stupid and high strung.
Thank you
Carry on

Old 12-19-2009, 09:59 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,300,717 times
Spring Hillian: you are indeed dreaming if you think that everyone can up and up and "make their dreams come true"........not everyone lives in fantasy world! I dare you to bike 5 miles to the grocery store with 3 car seats on the bike! not sure since when Florida/Tampa is known for being a walkable city!!! such as NY or other cities up north.......??????? better yet, go tell that to the people who sit in line at those WIC offices.......which I am sure you know nothing off! tell them to up and up and move to a place where they'll sure to make over $50k and not use WIC anymore............

FYI there are a lot of people (families) on one income with highly educated folks no less and no less ambitious however, who can't find work and have to make hard choices about childcare vs jobs vs pay vs how much is enough to cover everything etc .....I am sure your answer to that is to stop having a family and stop having kids right? lets ONLY allow the people who make $80k a year have kids right? I think you're being a bit ignorant as to how some people live or what choices they HAVE to make...Ok...just because you had the opportunity to up and up and move to a place you like very much, that hardly makes it a rule for everyone else! we like it here too, not for the same reasons YOU DO....for sure, but if someone is asking if everything is pink I am not going to tell them it is............because it can turn black pretty quick if you're not careful.

I don't see anyone from up-north trying to move here with $20 bucks to their names just because they have a dream! That's foolish on many levels!

Old 12-19-2009, 10:40 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,246,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiddles View Post
I wish my husband thought more like you Spring Hillian. He would rather suffer the same tedious lifestyle year in, year out than take a chance and move. I'm wearing him down though - the other day he came in from 2 degrees outside and said "You're right - lets move to Florida".
We both have jobs that we can get anywhere, our kids hate the winters here. I know there are people who reminisce about kids building snowmen and sliding etc., but it gets old pretty quick. My kids have not had outside recess at school all week because it's been too cold. And we have MONTHS more of this.
It probablly would be helpful to come down and take a look. I think it all depends what kind of lifestyle your looking for. I've met some people that moved down from Lewiston and love it here. They say ther feel right at home. I also know a family that moved down from the Falmouth area and couldn'tgo back quick enough.This was in the Hernando County area. I'm not real familer with other areas.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:55 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,246,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
This posting is for all those who feel that Florida is such a horrible place.

Study explores states of happiness | Portland Press Herald (http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/story.php?id=303345&ac=PHnws - broken link)

Your commentary is invited.

Perhaps the problem isn't Florida, perhaps it is the perspective of the person. I would ask all you who feel it is such a horrible place to
state why you left the last horrible place you lived prior (the place that made Florida so attractive in the first place).

If you were unhappy there and are unhappy here, maybe its time to do some self introspection and find out why you are miserable in the first place.
It says most of the data for that survey was collected between 2005- 2008. There's been a whole lot of changes around here since then

Old 12-19-2009, 10:57 AM

807 posts, read 3,186,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamorra2 View Post
Dear city-data forum members, chronic usage of caps lock and exclamation marks does not make you appear smarter or more accurate. It makes you appear stupid and high strung.
Thank you
Carry on
Agreed, melodramatic gunslinging is unnecessary...

!!!!!!!!100% UNNECESSARRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOLOLOLO LOLOLOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida