U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 07:55 AM

2,638 posts, read 10,412,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Thanks for "carrying" but my blood pressure is fine......however I have to wonder why is it that a few people here are so eager to let everyone else know that Florida/Tampa is indeed "Paradise" and there are never any issues here?
Probably because even threads like this one that ought to be nice and positive are full of whiners hell-bent on hijacking every positive thread with their complaints about how much they hate Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 08:03 AM

12,135 posts, read 12,575,261 times
I don't think we are missing anything, but if you think we are, please let's hear the other side of the story. But, when you do state it, please use real facts and not imaginary ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post

So, builders overbuilt. They wanted to make money on land they bought or owned, so they put up houses because they were worth money. People were buying them. Then people stopped buying houses.
They stopped building them. So the "locals" who were employed in the construction industry suddenly were'nt. Yes, I was quite aware of that. What's the point?

There were several LOCAL builders who over built...not all were from out of state....however both locals and from out of state builders USED Locals to overbuild the land....they didn't bring their own people from wherever they came from, they used locals and now the same locals are out of work...........now sure how you didn't know that?

Old 12-21-2009, 08:12 AM

It seems to be that they are whining and complaining not because they hate Florida, but they hate their lives.

No matter where they go, they would be unhappy souls finding fault with everything around them. But I do notice that they run a positive post into the ground with their whining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
Probably because even threads like this one that ought to be nice and positive are full of whiners hell-bent on hijacking every positive thread with their complaints about how much they hate Florida.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:20 AM

807 posts, read 2,742,841 times
Quote:
Thanks for "carrying" but my blood pressure is fine......however I have to wonder why is it that a few people here are so eager to let everyone else know that Florida/Tampa is indeed "Paradise" and there are never any issues here?

What you're missing, is that there isn't just one side of this as you and a few others would like to portray...I am just pointing out the obvious......

There were several LOCAL builders who over built...not all were from out of state....however both locals and from out of state builders USED Locals to overbuild the land....they didn't bring their own people from wherever they came from, they used locals and now the same locals are out of work...........now sure how you didn't know that?
I agree with a statement you made about the survey. It was a waste of financial resources since its' results are based on opinions and not hard facts. Any survey based on feelings leaves me skeptical, positive or negative.
No one said there are never any issues here. Lots of people are out of work everywhere, not just Florida. We're all dealing with it.

The problem I have is the constant ranting, screaming, over-punctuated, nonsensical information you grasp for in your efforts to beat everyone into submission. Could you please use a singular period sometime? Please?? Over-using exclaimation points is boring and detracts from what you think is "pointing out the obvious". Thoughtful credibility is out-the-window.

I'm confident that most everyone who reviews this forum is aware of your distaste for Florida and most of its' inhabitants. There's always more than one viewpoint. What seems to happen is that negative posters prefer to talk down to those of us who have done well here and enjoy life in the Sunshine State. As if "My God,....don't you know how horrible it is here????"

This is just my .02 .

Old 12-21-2009, 09:24 AM

The Survey was a survey on what people think. Where are you going to get hard facts on thoughts? It is or it isn't their opinion, regardless of the subject.

However, as to the whiners/complainers and discontented, what is that old saying? "Misery loves company".

Quote:
Originally Posted by On-da-Beach View Post
I agree with a statement you made about the survey. It was a waste of financial resources since its' results are based on opinions and not hard facts. Any survey based on feelings leaves me skeptical, positive or negative.
No one said there are never any issues here. Lots of people are out of work everywhere, not just Florida. We're all dealing with it.

The problem I have is the constant ranting, screaming, over-punctuated, nonsensical information you grasp for in your efforts to beat everyone into submission. Could you please use a singular period sometime? Please?? Over-using exclaimation points is boring and detracts from what you think is "pointing out the obvious". Thoughtful credibility is out-the-window.

I'm confident that most everyone who reviews this forum is aware of your distaste for Florida and most of its' inhabitants. There's always more than one viewpoint. What seems to happen is that negative posters prefer to talk down to those of us who have done well here and enjoy life in the Sunshine State. As if "My God,....don't you know how horrible it is here????"

This is just my .02 .

Old 12-21-2009, 10:42 AM

5,453 posts, read 7,437,996 times
As you draw your own conclusion, I will draw mine; first off your survey had NOTHING to do with TAMPA BAY which is this forum for. You also live in Spring Hill........not Tampa or immediate surroundings, 45/50 minutes from Tampa doesn't qualify for "immediate surroundings".

So, should I understand that once someone is doing well is entitled to forget about all others who aren't doing just as well? that just goes to show that several people here are here to flaunt their achievements and not give the new people a realistic image of what to expect, or are trying to make "sales" in highly foreclosed areas...because we all know that we can have two people with the same degree and one is unemployed and one is making 90k/year, so according to you we should only mention the one that makes 90k and keep the "paradise image" alive and well. OK....you do that, I am not going to tell people that everything is pink here, we are doing fine, thank you, but I am not going to dwell on that because the people that are moving here will not live MY life or yours. We like it here and the US in general, however the issues I've mentioned earlier are hardly fiction......it would be nice if they were...but they are not...if you check posts by mom's on several mom boards in Tampa and US in general you will hear a very different story than yours but for some reason you want to pretend those people don't exist...which I find it very selfish.

"Hijacking a thread?" that's funny! dream on........

Old 12-21-2009, 11:43 AM

Right. It was about the 50 states, not cities or towns in those states. States overall and what the people who live there think about it from various viewpoints. Simple as that.

Yes, I live in Spring Hill. I don't like big cities any more.

What our comments have shown is that people can and do make it here.
Regardless of their backgrounds, their abilities, their desires, one can make it here quite well if they have the guts and ambition to do more than sit in the corner saying "its the fault of everything but me".

What our comments have shown is that people do like it here, this place they choose to live over the place they lived before and that they are happy with their choice.

Yeah, its a paradise. Look at the blooming flowers in December. Look at the bright colors in a lot of landscapes. Look at the weather. Except for the cold fronts we can live a normal life here, no driving problems due to snow, no closed stores, no cancelled flights, no slipping and sliding all over the roads and the streets. I can jump on my bicycle this afternoon and go for a ride. I can go and do anything I usually would do. No hiderences.

In YOUR PERSONAL world maybe things aren't pink and going fine.
But is that the problem of the State of Florida? Does that make the weather lousy, the beaches crummy, the streets undrivable, the crime rate so bad that you get mugged going out, that the prices of homes are down, that Florida pays less salary in a lot of jobs that in other places?
Does it make it the fault of the State of Florida or your personal situation?

Right, people moving here, living here or thinking of living here are not going to be living YOUR life, but theirs. With their dreams, desires, ambitions, hopes, abilitities, perserverence.

Nobody is pretending that nay-sayers don't exisit and in some cases they may have a good point, but to say that nobody likes it here, that it is a terrible place where nobody is happy is the most untrue statement you could make.

Quote:
As you draw your own conclusion, I will draw mine; first off your survey had NOTHING to do with TAMPA BAY which is this forum for. You also live in Spring Hill........not Tampa or immediate surroundings, 45/50 minutes from Tampa doesn't qualify for "immediate surroundings".

So, should I understand that once someone is doing well is entitled to forget about all others who aren't doing just as well? that just goes to show that several people here are here to flaunt their achievements and not give the new people a realistic image of what to expect, or are trying to make "sales" in highly foreclosed areas...because we all know that we can have two people with the same degree and one is unemployed and one is making 90k/year, so according to you we should only mention the one that makes 90k and keep the "paradise image" alive and well. OK....you do that, I am not going to tell people that everything is pink here, we are doing fine, thank you, but I am not going to dwell on that because the people that are moving here will not live MY life or yours. We like it here and the US in general, however the issues I've mentioned earlier are hardly fiction......it would be nice if they were...but they are not...if you check posts by mom's on several mom boards in Tampa and US in general you will hear a very different story than yours but for some reason you want to pretend those people don't exist...which I find it very selfish.

"Hijacking a thread?" that's funny! dream on........

Old 12-21-2009, 02:43 PM

Florida IS a paradise compared to most other states in the U.S.

Some of the WORLD'S best beaches.

Great weather year round.

Variety of different things going on in different cities. Different flavors to choose from. South Beach, Miami, different than Orlando, which is different than Pensacola which is different than Brooksville, for instance.

Beautiful sunsets over the Gulf.

The Gulf.

All kinds of activities. Indoor and outdoor. Too manyto list!

No state income tax.

The concealed weapons law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird42 View Post
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, Spring Hillian makes Florida sound like Paradise, there are two sides to every story.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:00 PM

I don't know, but what does a kid in Peroria IL, Tuscon AZ or any other place on earth do?

If FL is so bad for you why are you here after 20 years?

((another question I will never see an answer to))

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird42 View Post
Ask any kid in Spring Hill, whats there to do in Spring Hill and you will hear the same cry over and over again, NOTHING. At one time, the YMCA had a building on Deltona Blvd, they put in pool tables, computers, games, table tennis and told the kids they could use it when it was open. A few kids went, they had soda and candy, they were told no loud music, no foul language, no this no that. Guess what the kids stopped going and the place folded. They didn't want to be told what to do or when to do it. Years before a father was tired of hearing his kids saying nothing to do, he rented a store front, put in all kinds of things for the teens, he had the kids paint the walls the way they wanted, his only rule was keep the place clean, no hanging out in the parking lot, things went along well for about three months then the older kids 20/21 started coming around, the storefront was owned by a local doctor and was just across the street from Pizza Hut, Friday nites the seniors from Timber Pines would go to the movies, saw the kids and started to complain to the doctor they were afraid of the kids, doctor cancelled the lease and the place was closed. No matter where teens in SH want to go, they either have the sheriffs office hassle them or the store owners, they want to hang out together, sit, talk, play cards. This is nothing new my daugther left here after going to PHCC, then went to William Paterson College in NJ, she will never ever come back here, she thinks this place is a wasteland, that drains the heart and soul out of everyone.

I can't tell you anything about LI, NY because I've never been there. I spent most of my time in NorthWest New Jersey. Where kids learn how to read and write, they can run a correct sentence and not use a pencil for the rest of their lives. I come from a rural area, where kids learned to can fruits, veg. where you could pick apples and bake. A area where boys learned to fish, hunt and skin a deer. Where you could go to the local farm and the farmer would help you learn about milking a cow, bale hay. There were no movies so we had most kids in our homes, for brownie parties, girl scouts, boy scouts and learn to ride a horse. In the summer there are swim clubs from all the lake communites. All were involved with church groups. There were no drugs, where they could go to a local corner and within 5 mins. someone pull up with maryjane.

Pine Island a beach, now thats a laugh, how many times a month is it closed due to bacteria. They have Doggie Day there once a month, and within 3 days the signs go up, high bacteria levels, wonder why, you think the dogs running in the water, pooping and peeing might have something to do with that.

Who cares what the drop out rate is, doesn't affect me one way or the other, if parents want there kids to be behind other states and not be ready for college when they graduate here, thats the choice they make. I do know that most of the kids here are not prepared for college and that they have to took remedial classes in English and Math, because they are behind.
I know that to be fact, as my youngest who went to college, several lost scholarships because they just couldn't handle the classwork, because they were not taught the correct way.

You want everyone to think that Florida is this glorious place. Sorry but there are others out there who will NOT agree with you, and sorry but you can't stop everyone who makes a negative remark, you see its a thing called Freedom of Speech, a right that I can exercise.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:39 PM

154 posts, read 468,382 times
This is obviously a very popular thread that is growing very fast! Reading through it left me somehow, puzzled. It started with a survey that attempted to evaluate self-perception of happiness. I think it is important to distinguish between perception of happiness and happiness itself. As it was mentioned, happiness itself is probably difficult to define. In contrast, most of us can tell if we are happy or not, even if it means different things for different people and is based on assessing different “values”.
It was rightly mentioned that happiness is not a number and is hard to quantify. In my opinion, this is the actual value of this survey. We don’t need a survey to know which state is the most populated, of which one has the warmest average temperature, or the highest snowfall, or the lowest median income. If temperature, or income, or number of sunny days were the determining factors for electing a place to live, these statistics should be enough.
What we really want to know when we move is: will I be happy there? We know the median house price (if we don’t we can find out), we know the average temperature in July or in January… But we wonder about happiness.
With all due respect, I think that arguing about personal experiences, good or bad, is beside the starting point of this thread. Of course, some people are happy in Florida and in Tampa. Of course some people are unhappy in Florida and in Tampa. We know that, so it does not really help us answer the question: will I be happy there?
Another important point is that this survey was about how happy people think/feel they are, not how happy they think they neighbors are. I think it is a critical point. A lot of posts on this thread are about how miserable people should be in Florida/Tampa because they have terrible wages, they cannot walk to the stores, there is no decent museum, the heat is oppressing… But, what do we really know about our neighbor’s happiness? If we like a clean manicured loan, we probably think that the guy down the street with peeled paint on his house and weeds in the front yard must be depressed and unhappy. Or we must think that the family at the other end of the neighborhood in that fancy mansion must be an example of happiness. Who knows? Perhaps the owner of the shabby house has an overwhelming passion that feels his life with joy and happiness (that does not transpire on the appearance of his house). Maybe the owner of the mansion is lonely, depressed and suicidal.
Another point that was raised is that the US as a whole is rotten. Hell or paradise is a moot point: the survey compared all US states.
The survey seems to be quite large, 1.3 M is a lot of people and the CDC is not a marketing agency as it was suggested. It is in fact a very serious agency. Because of the sample size, some of the data is old and that might account for some of the perceived discrepancies.
I currently live in NY, ranked last in the survey. I am pretty happy here (and therefore, I would have thought that more people would/should be); I was wrong. I am considering Florida. However, jumping from #51 to #3, that might be more happiness than I can handle….
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or