U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 3,047 times

Advertisements

Any cities/areas in Florida where there's more of a liberal/arts community? We love SW Florida for vacations, and would like to relocate but... we're an American-European couple with biracial children, who like the arts and nature.. We're not of the wealthy golf set. Is there a Florida for folks like us? Thanks much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 01:35 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,300,098 times
Well, if you like SW FL nature, the beach,and the finer things, Naples should suit you quite well.
Heavy Italian influence.

Old 12-20-2009, 01:39 PM

11,554 posts, read 19,100,449 times
Take a look at the Arscht Center and The Broward Center web sites. There are many arts programs here in southern FL. It's not NY but there is performing arts community down here. I sing in the Master Chorale of South Florida.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:18 AM

6,853 posts, read 18,821,631 times
I find that SE Florida is more liberal and accepting than other parts of the state. I would suggest looking into Palm Beach County and Broward County.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:15 AM

8,287 posts, read 11,162,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hortysir View Post
Well, if you like SW FL nature, the beach,and the finer things, Naples should suit you quite well.
Heavy Italian influence.
He said he has children and you recommend Naples? Nice town but they would probably be the only kids in Naples!
Southeast Florida is the most liberal part of Florida from Miami to Palm Beach county.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:05 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,760,093 times
I agree MiamiRob - I am not sure what the OP means by NYC culture, but I'm leaning toward him thinking of an area where the fact that his children are bi-racial would not matter. I think his absolute best bet would be Miami. I still thing parts of FTL are a little funny. I find Miami to be much more open, but I don't live there so can not base that on fact

Old 12-21-2009, 07:45 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,392,351 times
Naples does not have NYC culture. Majority of the transplants/retirees here are from the MidWest. There are not many New Yorkers here. You want the east coast of Florida if you want any "NYC culture".

Old 12-21-2009, 08:40 PM

22,444 posts, read 44,969,888 times
Heavy Italian influence in Naples, Florida? What?

Heavy Midwestern influence. Lots and lots of retirees and snowbirds. Shuffle board culture, in other words.

I'm with the others. You'll want to look at the Miami and Palm Beach County areas.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:46 AM

14,314 posts, read 28,608,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPIN View Post
Any cities/areas in Florida where there's more of a liberal/arts community? We love SW Florida for vacations, and would like to relocate but... we're an American-European couple with biracial children, who like the arts and nature.. We're not of the wealthy golf set. Is there a Florida for folks like us? Thanks much.
As others have suggested, possible parts of Miami or elsewhere on the SE coast. For the Gulf Coast you might try somewhere in the Tampa Bay Area. There are a lot of different cultures and mixed races here, it's always been a melting pot. Try to visit a few cities mentioned and see what appeals to you.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:14 AM

1,313 posts, read 1,300,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
He said he has children and you recommend Naples? Nice town but they would probably be the only kids in Naples!
Southeast Florida is the most liberal part of Florida from Miami to Palm Beach county.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Naples does not have NYC culture. Majority of the transplants/retirees here are from the MidWest. There are not many New Yorkers here. You want the east coast of Florida if you want any "NYC culture".
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Heavy Italian influence in Naples, Florida? What?

Heavy Midwestern influence. Lots and lots of retirees and snowbirds. Shuffle board culture, in other words.

I'm with the others. You'll want to look at the Miami and Palm Beach County areas.
Naples was built by Italians. Hence the name.
We recently spent a vacation there and enjoyed walking the shops and restaurants, downtown. Plenty of art to behold.
There are midwest snowbirds all over the state. There is no escape.
The OP asked about southWEST Florida, but ya'll can't get Miami/Palm Beach out of your heads.
I realize NY was mentioned in the title, but I was responding more to the "liberal/arts" and culture portion of the post rather than the 'hustle and bustle' aspect that conjures thoughts of Miami, et.al.
And I can't think of any nature trails in the Hollywood/Homestead area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or