U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-20-2007, 12:47 PM

2,141 posts, read 4,859,975 times

Advertisements

I have been here all my life and love Florida, But its not the same as it was, What do you love about Florida now ? Nice weather, palm trees, beaches ? I started this from a quote,"Because some people don't like seeing the place they love get torn apart on threads" Well, I have seen Florida torn apart in real life. Threads are just talk.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2007, 12:53 PM

13,326 posts, read 30,325,593 times
Where I am now (northwest Florida, and where I'll be when I move on Tuesday (northeast Florida), are both beautiful places.
I missed the beach the entire time I lived in Colorado.
I love being close to it now.
I enjoy having a change of seasons--without snow.
I also enjoy community, cultural events, music and stuff like that.
I've been able to have that here, and I look forward to having it on Amelia Island and in Jax.
Firemed, you should talk to Jazzlover in the Colorado forum.
You two have a lot in common.
And you're both right, the places you grew up in have changed and continue to change--not necessarily for the better.

Last edited by BlueWillowPlate; 05-20-2007 at 01:09 PM..

Old 05-20-2007, 12:54 PM

609 posts, read 2,665,827 times
Lots of really rich people moving to Fla and needing my expert services.

Life is good

Old 05-20-2007, 01:08 PM

8,522 posts, read 16,527,132 times
I love Florida but not what has been done to it.

Old 05-20-2007, 01:22 PM

262 posts, read 626,728 times
I love the big sky.
I love the intense sunlight.
Most of all, I love the lack of seasonal change. HOW I hate seasons! and the shortening of days.

I love the feel of sand in my yard. I love the sound of wild parrots, the sight of an anhinga, an ibis in flight, or the graceful egret.

I love tropical plants. I love seeing them growing effortlessly outdoors.
I love driving through my city, love the sight of brilliant bougainvillea, lush palms, selloum, yellow elder and poinciana, heliconia and strelitzia. Few places can boast such beauty as this.

The parks and gardens in FL are not to be missed. And our dazzling sunsets, scarlet and gold - can anything in nature compare with these?

Old 05-20-2007, 01:23 PM

2,267 posts, read 380,489 times
I have only lived here since 2001...prior to that I had vacationed here on several occasions but my experience here on vacation is not the CENTRAL reason I moved here.

Its all a trade out...I LOVE the warm weather, the southern hospitality feel, the beach enough to give up other things...

I have arthritis in my back which is horrible in the cold, I can bearly sit up straight back in Texas in the winter at times...I can't stay in a cold state and be on narcotics all the time...

I wish people who hate Florida OR who have nothing but something negative to say would just leave...why would anyone live in a place they dislike so much...unless they enjoy being unhappy and the subject of the day is to complain about is Florida.

As for the people who didn't like it AND have moved, good for you, at least you have taken a positive move in your life to make it better but please realize what is right for you, is not necessarily right for everyone else.

Another thing I don't get is how people go on about how expensive it is to live here, buy real estate here...
My house is under 10 years old, comparable to a brick contruction in the New England area (although its really a cinderblock contruction), its a little under 2000 square feet, do you have any idea what that would cost you within 30 miles of a major city in New England...I can't even imagine.. I paid 156,000 for my house in 2001, I am the second owner.

I hear people talking about how other places are better to live, well that is all in the eye of the beholder...as I have already said I can't take the cold...that lets out ALOT of states...I would be so depressed I would rather die then to live in a dry place like New Mexico or Arizona...I hate dry weather and relentless heat...California has always looked interesting however, I did a little looking and I couldn't afford a house in say San Diego anything near what I can here...AND again we have the extreme dryness I can't stand but at least they have the ocean.

As for the so called rude latinos...I prefer the atmosphere here of people from different countries...I don't find the latinos anymore rude then I find any other given group...its just that some of these other groups feel some sort of self righteousness, their rudeness is RIGHT. My biggest example is men in general...normally I am the one driving the bigger vehicle...if someone wants to be rude and try to cut me off, I know they will be alot more damaged if they hit me...so its really all about who has the stones, not what race anyone is.

So why do people feel they have to force their feelings on everyone else about Florida, its not for everyone...but alot of us like it.

If you don't like it and can't be bothered to stay and try to change some of it by participating in local government for example, then pack your bags...find a place where you can be happy, you do yourself and your family a dis-service by staying...

Old 05-20-2007, 01:41 PM

9 posts, read 22,838 times
Thumbs up Sand in between the toes

Hi,
My husband was raised in Naples, I was raised in NW Florida along with my children.
White beaches that blind you in the summer months.
I still love being able to take wonderful pictures of gorgeous birds, beautiful native plants (weeds to the locals), watch amazing sunsets, (we live on the Gulf) and vacation in my front yard...LOL..
Fried aligator, for those of you that are vegans my apologies, I happen to really enjoy it.
Fried mullet fresh from the Gulf.
Being able to smell the jasmine growing up the sides of the house or better yet the smell of new orange blossoms.
What a wonderful smell those two have.
Those memories I will bring with me wherever we go.
It is always nice to see a pleasant subject, do it again..........!!!!
Abigail

Old 05-20-2007, 01:47 PM

2,141 posts, read 4,859,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Where I am now (northwest Florida, and where I'll be when I move on Tuesday (northeast Florida), are both beautiful places.
I missed the beach the entire time I lived in Colorado.
I love being close to it now.
I enjoy having a change of seasons--without snow.
I also enjoy community, cultural events, music and stuff like that.
I've been able to have that here, and I look forward to having it on Amelia Island and in Jax.
Firemed, you should talk to Jazzlover in the Colorado forum.
You two have a lot in common.
And you're both right, the places you grew up in have changed and continue to change--not necessarily for the better.
Some things have changed for the good. I think north Florida is a very nice area to live. But south Florida has seen alot of change in the last few years and most for the bad. I think alot of people would move but are stuck here.

Old 05-20-2007, 04:10 PM

187 posts, read 577,741 times
Default Luv it too

We just realize we can no longer afford to stay. My DH is a native, me 25 yrs we have had our home 22 yrs it will be paid off in 8 yrs. However we never saw coming that our taxes,flood and HO insurance would match our house payment as of this year.The writing is on the wall that we will never be able to retire here and we do have good savings. We would just like to be able to do more than sit in our house, have to work at least PT and just survive. We too will miss it.

Old 05-20-2007, 04:15 PM

217 posts, read 604,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post

I wish people who hate Florida OR who have nothing but something negative to say would just leave...why would anyone live in a place they dislike so much...unless they enjoy being unhappy and the subject of the day is to complain about is Florida.
Some people are that way (ie the breakfast lady from the gossip thread...). It's like they're not happy unless they're unhappy about something. I've known quite a few people like this, either they have to complain about everyone else, or where they live, or incessantly talk about their ailments (which are always worse than everyone else's), etc. Makes me sad for them really, that they can be somewhere and hate it that much. I'm no big fan of OH, and since an opportunity came up that wasn't here before, I'm sticking around for awhile. It's not where I want to stay forever, but I find things to like
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida