Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2009, 07:15 AM

150 posts, read 427,241 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am looking for a place To retire to. i have asked same questions in different forums about different cities. I would be grateful is someone explained to me the ins and out of utilities costs and taxes. I see that there are plenty of homes in the city (outside also) for under 80,000. The photos seem to be ok. Does anyone think i would need much work done on em. Also what is the combined tax rate for homes in this price range. For example what would my yearly taxes be and homeowners insurance on home $75,000(i under 65 yrs of age).Also I heard utility prices high ,is that true? I coming from new york city where we get more snow and utilities higher i think than you.What can i expect my monthly electricity bill to be low and high and gas bill(heating) on the type of homes common in this area.I would appreciate any help you can give. Coffee will be on me(or beer).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 10:13 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,457,397 times
You didn't mention what city you are talking about? Let us know so we can better help you.

Taxes are usually 2% of the sale price, subtracting the homestead exception if you qualify. But because of the foreclosures and short sales counties aren't using the 2% of the sale price all the time. If the prices of the homes in the area is higher than the foreclosure/short sale price, you will pay the area price. For instance, if you buy it for 75k but the homes in the area are averaging around 125k you will pay 2% of 125k instead of the 75k.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:11 AM

1 posts, read 3,281 times
Thumbs up Brevard county

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyranger View Post
Hello, I am looking for a place To retire to. i have asked same questions in different forums about different cities. I would be grateful is someone explained to me the ins and out of utilities costs and taxes. I see that there are plenty of homes in the city (outside also) for under 80,000. The photos seem to be ok. Does anyone think i would need much work done on em. Also what is the combined tax rate for homes in this price range. For example what would my yearly taxes be and homeowners insurance on home $75,000(i under 65 yrs of age).Also I heard utility prices high ,is that true? I coming from new york city where we get more snow and utilities higher i think than you.What can i expect my monthly electricity bill to be low and high and gas bill(heating) on the type of homes common in this area.I would appreciate any help you can give. Coffee will be on me(or beer).

Here in Brevard county Fl is a nice area, East coast less than a hr from Orlando

[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brevard_County,_Florida"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brevard_County,_Florida[/URL]

[mod]link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed[/mod]

[URL]http://discoverbrevard.com/Cities.php[/URL]

Your taxes will be fairly cheap. Mine are $1418 a year with the homestead exemptions (my home is assessed at 110,000 due to the recession) my homeowners ins. is $957 a year. My house is 1700 sq ft & utilities for home change because of a/c use but mine is about $ 155.00 in summer give or take $10.00, & about $100.00 winter, water bill is $30.00 a month. Most homes are all electric some areas have gas. And any area in Fl you buy a home make sure it has city water!!!
Best Wishes Glen

Last edited by Yac; 02-23-2010 at 06:17 AM..

Old 12-22-2009, 11:07 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Check out Port St. Lucie as well. SUPER bargains right now. You can buy a SFH or villa for 80k easily.

As mentioned above, taxes will be about 2% of assessed value per year. Home owner's insurance will vary based on location, etc. Budget at least $1000 per year for a home a few miles inland. However, when you get to homes that are in the 80k range, after homestead exemption you could be looking at tax bills on 50k or less value.

A search in just one zip code (34953) shows over 200 homes below 80k.

Apparently, over on the west coast, the city of Northport also has some good housing deals.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:11 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,765,686 times
Do you know if you live in Florida but live in say Miami, can you buy in Tampa without the 30% downpayment you would need if you lived out of state? It would not be a primary residence - do the same rule apply?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida