U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 03:52 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,263,186 times

Advertisements

In 2006, the first Baby Boomers turned 60a demographic fact that is changing how employers in Florida and throughout the nation think about their workforce. Between 2001 and 2010, the part of Florida's population age 60 to 64 is expected to increase 58 percent while the population ages 35 to 39 drops 3.7 percent, according to the Florida Legislature's Economic and Demographic Research Unit.
Potential results will include:

* Rising competition for skilled, qualified workers
* Loss of critical knowledge assets
* Rising labor and training costs

Should we be concerned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 11:29 PM

713 posts, read 2,427,854 times
Many are now finding boomers and seniors a vital part of their workforce. 60 isn't 60 of our grandparents era. The new 60's rocks. I'm far from there yet but if it keeps up, we boomers will have a rosy future when we get that age.

Old 05-22-2007, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by House4Sale View Post
Many are now finding boomers and seniors a vital part of their workforce. 60 isn't 60 of our grandparents era. The new 60's rocks. I'm far from there yet but if it keeps up, we boomers will have a rosy future when we get that age.
That is true, most communities depend on the whole concept and 60 plus is a great part of most communities....

Old 05-24-2007, 08:59 AM

83 posts, read 354,856 times
Another perspective though...I have been in Northwest Florida for over a year now and I see alot of jobs being held by more experienced people over 60 and in my eyes it's no wonder the UWF grads are graduating and leaving this area/state immediately because of no jobs.
Also, I have to ask why are people working longer? Is it because of the lack luster retirement benefits some have like social security or they did not save?

Either way I hate walking into a fast food place and seeing a elderly lady because I wonder if she is working to keep busy, or she is working to pay her bills and keep a float.
Just my 2 cents..

Old 05-24-2007, 11:15 AM

672 posts, read 691,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by House4Sale View Post
Exactly. 60 is the new 50, or maybe even the new 45? I am 58 and people's mouths drop when I tell them how old I am. They say to me they thought I was in my late 40s. I shovel snow, climb ladders, bla, bla, bla. Someone on another blog once wrote, "Boomers are too old to have kids in their 20s." Huh??? I have a 23 year old daughter. Many of us Boomers HAD our children in our 30s and even into our 40s. I think THAT may be a reason why we have stayed young. You cannot become "old" when you are still runnng after toddlers or dealing with teenagers and their angst.

Old 05-24-2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattvj5 View Post
Another perspective though...I have been in Northwest Florida for over a year now and I see alot of jobs being held by more experienced people over 60 and in my eyes it's no wonder the UWF grads are graduating and leaving this area/state immediately because of no jobs.
Also, I have to ask why are people working longer? Is it because of the lack luster retirement benefits some have like social security or they did not save?

Either way I hate walking into a fast food place and seeing a elderly lady because I wonder if she is working to keep busy, or she is working to pay her bills and keep a float.
Just my 2 cents..
Our area does sustain the more experienced individuals. We have a terrific market in Aerospace, many jobs open daily with a small cancellation on a monthly basis.

Old 05-24-2007, 03:41 PM

518 posts, read 1,996,638 times
Unfortunately, there's a flip side to the Baby Boomer employment situation at my company. Top management recently offered buyouts to everyone 55 and over in my division as a way of cutting the cost of salaries and benefits, and rumor is the offer soon will be extended to include those 50 and over. Employees do not have to accept the buyout offer, but those who have declined have been warned that they will be targeted in a possible upcoming round of layoffs (seems like that's grounds for an age discrimination suit, but that's another story). Many of these workers have been here 20-plus years -- nice way to reward loyalty, huh? Sadly, this sort of things seems to be routine in Corporate America.

Old 05-25-2007, 12:07 AM

34 posts, read 122,714 times
Default Aging boomers

People who work in health care and treat Medicare recipients should be very busy for the next decade or two. Home health care job demand should grow as more folks retire.

Old 05-25-2007, 01:37 AM

14,505 posts, read 23,781,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattvj5 View Post

Just my 2 cents..

That last paragraph was cute- I can't really imagine a 60 year old working at McDonalds (or fast food) for the fun of it. Tour guide at a museum yes....

sunny

Old 05-25-2007, 06:08 AM

672 posts, read 691,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
That last paragraph was cute- I can't really imagine a 60 year old working at McDonalds (or fast food) for the fun of it. Tour guide at a museum yes....

sunny
That woman who lives in my husband's condo is 85 years old. She is a widowed, retired teacher. Her son still lives in Connecticut and she has no family in Florida. She used to work doing cleaning and taking care of the ELDERLY. ROFL She said they were sending her to places 20 miles away and the drive and expense was too much for her. So, she quit there and now works in a shoe store down the road. Besides selling and working the register, she now opens and closes the store. She said the owner asked her to because he said he doesn't trust any of the other employees to do it.

She said she not only is working for the extra money, but just to get out and be around people. As she put it, "What am I supposed to do?" "Sit all day in my condo all alone and wait to die?" She is also on the condo association board, is a member of a poker club, etc., etc. All in all, she leads a very full life. We should all be so lucky as her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or