Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 09:06 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times

Advertisements

I know what you mean GP. Lake County has lots of "rolling hills".
People are short sighted. They see what they want. They form their opinions and nothing will change that. They would never look around and say "Gee, I guess I was wrong".

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Spring Hillian, it is amazing that so many folks still think Florida is completely flat. While it's true we don't have mountains, we have good size hills in the center of the state just north of Tampa. There are gorgeous hills where we lived in Dade City, and of course in Brooksville (not as familiar with Spring Hill where you are). Also, in Lakeland and Lake Wales (the Ridge) the land is rolling, and Bok Tower in Lake Wales sits on one of the higher hills on the peninsula (about 300' I believe). Of course even more hills up toward the northern part of the state. People don't believe it when they see these areas, they think they are in NC or something! Florida is a LOT more diverse geographically than most folks believe. Of course, all areas near the coasts are pretty flat, as is south Florida, so I guess that is why people assume the whole state is completely flat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 09:50 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times
Guys - wait I'm on your side - I love Florida don't kill me just yet - lol - when I think of hiking I think of mountains - the hilly parts that you are speaking of are they enough to do a hike? If so that is great to know - you learn something new everey day - I like the heat I wasn't complaining - I was trying to make the analogy since we both live in the NE - you don't have to sell me on Florida - I'm sold - I prefer knowing if it is too hot today to go out I can wait until tomorrow - not like here if it is too hot you don't care because summer is over in 2 months - no thanks - I suffer terribly from the winter blues - I want out of here in the worst way!!

Old 12-31-2009, 10:10 AM

Its not that we have the cliffs of the Palasaides here, but there are hills.
There are also NUMEROUS state parks with tons of trails to hike.
Check that out on the web. FLORIDA HIKING STATE PARKS and see what you are in for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Guys - wait I'm on your side - I love Florida don't kill me just yet - lol - when I think of hiking I think of mountains - the hilly parts that you are speaking of are they enough to do a hike? If so that is great to know - you learn something new everey day - I like the heat I wasn't complaining - I was trying to make the analogy since we both live in the NE - you don't have to sell me on Florida - I'm sold - I prefer knowing if it is too hot today to go out I can wait until tomorrow - not like here if it is too hot you don't care because summer is over in 2 months - no thanks - I suffer terribly from the winter blues - I want out of here in the worst way!!

Old 12-31-2009, 10:18 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Chelsa, I don't think anyone was directing anything at you - we are just commenting generally that a lot of people get false impressions about this state, you know, the "pancake flat" and "endless summer" type posts we see here so much.

I will also add that it is actually pretty amazing how much the landscape changes when you go just 30 miles north of Tampa (kind of the dividing line for semi-tropical). You start to see hills, hardwoods, different plants and vegetation, etc. When I lived in Dade City, I almost never saw a palm tree, it looks more like parts of North or South Carolina. And Brooksville, just NW of Dade City is kind of a "cold spot" to be as far south as it is. The views from some of the hills in those towns is breathtaking, and as I said before, does not look like Florida as many people imagine it.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:53 AM

Let's face it. Florida is a very diversified place. South is different than North and East is different than West and you have everything in between. I think that no matter what lifestyle you want to live, it can be lived in Florida.

The "Pancake Flat" and "Endless Summer" people are just malcontents.
One of them claim to have lived in 4 states. That tells me something.
The person can't be happy anywhere and the last place they were at is better than Florida. If it was so great, what are you doing here is my question those people but then you get the "I am dirt poor, I wait tables at a restaurant and I have kids". Well, that person is SCREWED for life.
They will never have more than they do now and they better get used to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Chelsa, I don't think anyone was directing anything at you - we are just commenting generally that a lot of people get false impressions about this state, you know, the "pancake flat" and "endless summer" type posts we see here so much.

I will also add that it is actually pretty amazing how much the landscape changes when you go just 30 miles north of Tampa (kind of the dividing line for semi-tropical). You start to see hills, hardwoods, different plants and vegetation, etc. When I lived in Dade City, I almost never saw a palm tree, it looks more like parts of North or South Carolina. And Brooksville, just NW of Dade City is kind of a "cold spot" to be as far south as it is. The views from some of the hills in those towns is breathtaking, and as I said before, does not look like Florida as many people imagine it.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:55 AM

Chelsa -- R U in Woodside Queens? I lived in Forest Hills back when.
Metropolitan and Woodhaven.

Quote:

Old 12-31-2009, 12:40 PM

15 posts, read 28,490 times
Thanks for all the comments peoples ! Helps me see lot of different perspectives.

As for severe summer and humidity, I have absolutely no problem with heat. I do my outdoor stuff here even when temp's are in 90's. Ofcourse I am melting like a molten brownie, but I like it. I prefer that over cold weather any day of the year.

The most important thing that bugs me, and is mentioned here is employment opportunities. Both my wife, and I are computer programmers. Opportunities are fairly less in FL than in NJ. I know that for sure. That is something I certainly have to consider.

Another point that bothers me and my wife a bit is hurricane thing. I doubt that entire FL is hurricane prone !!! Any thoughts about what areas are not hurricane prone, and have a good economy to generate opportunities in general ... ?

We have been considering South California as well. An opinion from someone who has lived at both places would be awsome !

Old 12-31-2009, 12:47 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,801,056 times
Amit - I may be in the minority, but I dont think hurricanes are a big deal for the post part. I really dont think you have to be so worried about hurricanes that it prevents you from considering Florida. No question you must be prepared, but an investment in a generator, shutters and a home under post Andrew construction standards will fare most storms easily. Its a pain getting ready for a storm warning and for most of the aftermath - but its over hyped. We would get our kit (candles, canned food, matches, lighter, extra canister - ziplocs (for your documents); zipdrives etc) ready in mid June each year - and see what happens. It really isnt a reason not to move to Florida.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:55 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,693,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_shah25 View Post
Thanks for all the comments peoples ! Helps me see lot of different perspectives.

As for severe summer and humidity, I have absolutely no problem with heat. I do my outdoor stuff here even when temp's are in 90's. Ofcourse I am melting like a molten brownie, but I like it. I prefer that over cold weather any day of the year.

The most important thing that bugs me, and is mentioned here is employment opportunities. Both my wife, and I are computer programmers. Opportunities are fairly less in FL than in NJ. I know that for sure. That is something I certainly have to consider.

Another point that bothers me and my wife a bit is hurricane thing. I doubt that entire FL is hurricane prone !!! Any thoughts about what areas are not hurricane prone, and have a good economy to generate opportunities in general ... ?

We have been considering South California as well. An opinion from someone who has lived at both places would be awsome !
Hurricanes aren't much of an issue in the Orlando metro area. Since were 1-2 hours inland by the time hurricanes reach us they have weakened substantially. I have lived here all my life and only one hurricane (charley) did noticeable damage to the Orlando area, mostly ripped shingles off roofs, and knocked down a bunch of trees causing power outages that lasted for about 1-5 days depending on what area you were in(which sucked because it was in the middle of summer) but my family rented a hotel room and we were fine.

Every other hurricane/tropical storm that has hit us or came near us just brought a lot of rain and some wind.

Also Orlando has a big technology industry. Look on Orlando's wiki page under "economy" and you will see what I'm talking about.

Orlando, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-31-2009, 01:14 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
I guess you missed the bulletin about Frances. Frances actually caused more damage than Charley to central Florida. Charley was a very small, compact storm, and if you weren't directly in the line of fire, you saw no damage at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida