Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 10:23 AM

776 posts, read 1,673,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
I'm from the NYC area and I'm planning my move for August - I just hope I have luck with work - I desperately need the job before I go too.

How do you feel today Amit? When your refrigerator is not as cold as it is outside LOL.

My question is to those who have transplanted from the NE to Florida. Do you think the summers are similar in heat? I realize the heat lasts a lot longer, but would you agree with me that the heat here is pretty damn hot and constant for 2 months? I know there are exceptions like the summer that past where it rained 23 days in June and 15 in July, but that is not the norm! The norm is 90's with the HHH - hazy, hot, humid. Am I crazy or does it get really hot?

Call me crazy, but I will trade the -2 for 80 any day of the week!
Once you live here a while you will see it is very different. The heat and humidity are unrelenting minimum six months. The sun is quite intense. However unlike NY it does not stay cloudy for long. We do not get misty drizzles or haze either or any nights that ever cool off. Our storms are intense usually build in the afternoon but clears up again early evening. The morning is usually blue skies till at least 10-11am so you can bank on that early morning swim or bike ride even if there is a 50-60% chance of thundershowers that day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 10:48 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times
John, I hear ya believe me - I feel that way about the cold, but seriously, given the choice would you choose cold over hot? I totally get that it is hellahot in Florida for 6 whole months BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT - you have pools on every corner, pools in complexes, subdivisions, etc. - you have beaches ummmmm well everywhere and beaches are what 25 minutes to get to versus the hour to get to Jones only to walk for 1 mile to actually get to the polluted water that has dirty diapers floating in it and then wait it gets better the water is almost too cold to get into because the damn winter lasted so long the sun hasn't quite done it's job yet LOL.

Believe me for me this is not an argument of heat versus cold completely, but rather quality of life. Something I do not feel I have much of here. I took the boys to the movies the other day my ticket was 12$ to a movie I didn't want to see (alvin), the boys were 9$ - in total for 3 people it cost
50$ for tix, popcorn and drink - no hotdog, no candy, no ice cream. So, I say to myself - I make 85K a year - who gives a crap when I pay 1600$ on a small 2bd - 1 bath apartment (and that is considered reasonable - Food is super expensive - life in general is expensive - I don't have to explain that to you - I know you know my pain.

And for those who think I'm crazy - about 6 months ago they had a special on the news that did a cost comparison of salaries for certain cities and you might pull your hair out to know what they figured out...I am a legal sec/assistant and make 85K - that equals about 58K in Ft. Lauderdale - I don't know if I can make 58K doing what I do in Ft. Lauderdale, but it was interesting to know. 60K in Austin Texas was equivalent to 122K in NYC - Legal sec/assistants, with my experience make 65 in Austin - you do the math - it is insanity! Obviously, you give up a lot when you leave NYC in the way of culture and culture and culture, but you get a lot as well.

I wouldn't mind texas, but my family lives in Florida which is the #1 reason for that state being our first choice.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:37 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
I've heard it said the salaries in FL are less because "they pay you in sunshine". I don't know about that, but I'd rather be hot than freezing my buttski off on a subway platform in Brooklyn. Or anywhere else for that matter.

Quote:
Spring, stop bragging! So, do you think we get paid more her in NYC because we have to suffer with the climate LOL.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:41 AM

Everybody must know that NYC is the most expensive city in the USA to live in. I had my days of the $10 lunch. "cheeseburger, fries and a coke".

Everybody in NYC has their hand in your pocket. From the time you step out the door of the house till you get home somebody wants a piece of your change. $1600 a month for rent? Dag.

Quote:
John, I hear ya believe me - I feel that way about the cold, but seriously, given the choice would you choose cold over hot? I totally get that it is hellahot in Florida for 6 whole months BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT - you have pools on every corner, pools in complexes, subdivisions, etc. - you have beaches ummmmm well everywhere and beaches are what 25 minutes to get to versus the hour to get to Jones only to walk for 1 mile to actually get to the polluted water that has dirty diapers floating in it and then wait it gets better the water is almost too cold to get into because the damn winter lasted so long the sun hasn't quite done it's job yet LOL.

Believe me for me this is not an argument of heat versus cold completely, but rather quality of life. Something I do not feel I have much of here. I took the boys to the movies the other day my ticket was 12$ to a movie I didn't want to see (alvin), the boys were 9$ - in total for 3 people it cost
50$ for tix, popcorn and drink - no hotdog, no candy, no ice cream. So, I say to myself - I make 85K a year - who gives a crap when I pay 1600$ on a small 2bd - 1 bath apartment (and that is considered reasonable - Food is super expensive - life in general is expensive - I don't have to explain that to you - I know you know my pain.

And for those who think I'm crazy - about 6 months ago they had a special on the news that did a cost comparison of salaries for certain cities and you might pull your hair out to know what they figured out...I am a legal sec/assistant and make 85K - that equals about 58K in Ft. Lauderdale - I don't know if I can make 58K doing what I do in Ft. Lauderdale, but it was interesting to know. 60K in Austin Texas was equivalent to 122K in NYC - Legal sec/assistants, with my experience make 65 in Austin - you do the math - it is insanity! Obviously, you give up a lot when you leave NYC in the way of culture and culture and culture, but you get a lot as well.

I wouldn't mind texas, but my family lives in Florida which is the #1 reason for that state being our first choice.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:45 AM

Unrelenting? Ah, its not that bad!

Yes, the sun is stronger the closer you get to the equator.

Yes, we do have some great p.m. thunderstorms out on the west coast, but not as intense as in the middle, like Orlando. That is where the two seabreezes (west coast and east) usually collide.

I would say most days are fully sunny until about 4 p.m. until 6 or 7 p.m.
and that is only during in the summer when we have our rain storms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVosilla View Post
Once you live here a while you will see it is very different. The heat and humidity are unrelenting minimum six months. The sun is quite intense. However unlike NY it does not stay cloudy for long. We do not get misty drizzles or haze either or any nights that ever cool off. Our storms are intense usually build in the afternoon but clears up again early evening. The morning is usually blue skies till at least 10-11am so you can bank on that early morning swim or bike ride even if there is a 50-60% chance of thundershowers that day

Old 01-04-2010, 11:47 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Chelsea -

Depending on what part of Florida you move to it can be just as expensive, FYI. You have family here in Florida so I understand why you would want to move here.

My sister lives in Manhattan, and compared to Miami she says it may be a little more expensive in Manhattan, but not by much. When you factor in a gas, car insurance, etc. in Florida, while in NYC she doesn't have a car, its pretty close to Miami expense wise. She said if she lived outside of the city in one of the boroughs her cost of living would be cheaper than Miami even. Now you will not have as many taxes in Florida as you do in Ny, which is nice.

Even though there are pools, you may not be able or want to go in those pools. I would say July through September those outdoor pools are like swimming in a bath tub, as the sun heats the water to be really warm, not that refreshing. Unless its a screened in pool which will stay cooler in the summer months. And then November to about April those pools are closed or too cold to swim in any ways. The beaches I agree with you.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:49 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,893,320 times
Quote:
My question is to those who have transplanted from the NE to Florida. Do you think the summers are similar in heat? I realize the heat lasts a lot longer, but would you agree with me that the heat here is pretty damn hot and constant for 2 months? I know there are exceptions like the summer that past where it rained 23 days in June and 15 in July, but that is not the norm! The norm is 90's with the HHH - hazy, hot, humid. Am I crazy or does it get really hot?
You're not crazy at all. I lived in NJ all of my life (over 50 years) and we had the Triple Hs every summer. You could walk out your front door and practically see the air, it was so saturated with humidity.

I was in Ocala last August for our closing. It was cooler in Ocala than it was back home, and the humidity was the same.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:52 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,893,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
$1600 a month for rent? Dag.
That's not exclusive to NYC, you know. Rents in northern NJ are high, too.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:13 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times
Doggie, I feel you, but here is the deal - I think your sister is telling you that Miami is just as expensive to keep herself from wanting to move. I'm mostly kidding, but I can give you 10 attorneys in my office that would completely disagree - rent controlled apartments don't count!

These are simple facts that can not be disputed a 3k apartment in Miami is about 7K in NY - can anyone really argue that with me?

I realize believe me that SE Florida is not that much cheaper than NYC and the outer boroughs, but what you get for your money is a whole lot different. Yes, I get it with the pools, I won't want to get into them, but at least it is an option - there are no options here - a pool membership is 1200$ for a family of 4 - and how long can I swim - from 9a - 7p - did I mention I get out at 5, then have to pick up the kids and get them dressed to go to the pool and wow we have 45minutes left to enjoy the 1200$ membership - talk about a way to make you extremely happy.

I certainly can live in Jamaica, Queens, East New York, Brownsville, Ozone Park, Bushwhick and live considerably cheaper. Your guess on how long it will be before something bad happens is as good as mine.

Now, let's talk about the nicer places to live and their average rent for a 2 bedroom - not high society, but safer then the neigborhoods listed above.

Astoria 1600 - 10 - min - smaller than NYC - but more crowded than Canal Street
Woodside - 1600 - 15 - min - just blah
Jackson Heights - 1600 20-min - if you know the area - I don't have to say anything else
LIC - 2400 - 5min - are you kidding? This was all industrial and now they are charging a million+ to buy something
Fresh Meadow - 1600 - 1.5 hour travel - still nice area, but I can live in Connecticut and have the same travel time
College Point - 1550 - 2 hour travel - seriously it is 15 minutes by car to the closest train, but no car - bus to bus to train - good luck
Bayside - 1700 - 1.5 hour travel - still very nice, but far as well

Now, can I find an apartment cheaper of course, but the question is - will it be livable? Why is the choice cheap or nice? Why can't you have both? Because it costs too damn much.

I think that every state has their issues and most people from that particular state may feel that it is expensive, but really, I don't see how any rational person can make the comparison of NYC and Miami and say that Miam is more - can there be apartments that are more expensive, 100% yes, but when you put them side by side and compare - amenity for amenity - you can't, you pay extra for every single thing you get here - EVERYTHING.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:24 PM

It would have to be more expensive in any part of NYC (all the boroughs included) than it would be to live in Miami. Unless you are talking about the most expensive areas of Miami. If you haven't lived in NYC for most of your life you cannot compare the real costs of living in NYC. It's more than the $ for the item. Its rent, taxes, transportation, clothing and daily expenses. Back in the 80's it would cost me $10 before I even got to my office.

Subway - Round trip for the day $4.00

Newspaper - 2 per day $1.00

Cigarettes - 1 pack per day $3.00 (then)

Bagel and Coffee picked up at the shop on the way to office: $2.00

Then lunch.

You have no idea (maybe you do) what it's like to spend one hour or more in jammed packed subway car that is not moving.

NYC is an existence. It is not a life.
You have to live it to understand it.

How much is your sister's rent in Manhattan? $1800, $2200?
More?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Chelsea -

Depending on what part of Florida you move to it can be just as expensive, FYI. You have family here in Florida so I understand why you would want to move here.

My sister lives in Manhattan, and compared to Miami she says it may be a little more expensive in Manhattan, but not by much. When you factor in a gas, car insurance, etc. in Florida, while in NYC she doesn't have a car, its pretty close to Miami expense wise. She said if she lived outside of the city in one of the boroughs her cost of living would be cheaper than Miami even. Now you will not have as many taxes in Florida as you do in Ny, which is nice.

Even though there are pools, you may not be able or want to go in those pools. I would say July through September those outdoor pools are like swimming in a bath tub, as the sun heats the water to be really warm, not that refreshing. Unless its a screened in pool which will stay cooler in the summer months. And then November to about April those pools are closed or too cold to swim in any ways. The beaches I agree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida