Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 11:26 AM

3 posts, read 7,095 times

Advertisements

I just discovered this forum after googling "Lee County Chinese Drywall". After living in the same home in North Fort Myers for 43 years, my parents bought a beautiful home in Cape Coral in 2007. After a few service calls on their air conditioner my husband started suspecting Chinese Drywall. After about 5 minutes of checking out the air handler and electrical outlets it was pretty obvious that they had it. This was just confirmed by an inspector yesterday. This guy wants to come back with a contractor to give them an estimate but he's already mentioned $50,000. Any advise on how they should proceed? We've been all over the internet trying to become informed and it looks pretty bleak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 12:02 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
Run away as fast as you can.

The jury is still out on this. Some of the issues cropping up include whether they can ever get rid of the effects of Chinese Drywall, does it permeate the foundation, and the house will always have the paperwork showing that it was there. In other words, it is marked for life.

Homes, as you know, are a dime a dozen in Cape Coral. Find another one.

For more info:

There are pages and pages of info on this, from when it was first detected in Lee County:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/fort-...w-fl-home.html

This is our more current ongoing discussion. We are finding investors going in and trying to flip these homes:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/saras...all-homes.html

Old 10-23-2009, 12:20 PM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,497,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Run away as fast as you can.

The jury is still out on this. Some of the issues cropping up include whether they can ever get rid of the effects of Chinese Drywall, does it permeate the foundation, and the house will always have the paperwork showing that it was there. In other words, it is marked for life.

Homes, as you know, are a dime a dozen in Cape Coral. Find another one.

For more info:

There are pages and pages of info on this, from when it was first detected in Lee County:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/fort-...w-fl-home.html

This is our more current ongoing discussion. We are finding investors going in and trying to flip these homes:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/saras...all-homes.html
I find this strange advice.
The poster said that their parents purchased this home. I am sure they are going to want some compensation for this.
To be told to "run away" and find another home ( as if we are talking about a small ten dollar item) is preposterous.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:35 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKB View Post
I find this strange advice.
The poster said that their parents purchased this home. I am sure they are going to want some compensation for this.
To be told to "run away" and find another home ( as if we are talking about a small ten dollar item) is preposterous.
I'm sorry. I thought his post said that they looked at a house that had it. If they bought it, I suggest they vacate immediately, though. Getting compensation is going to be rough. There's a class action suit, so good luck with that.

They still need to read those threads. The info in there is invaluable. No one should be buying any house anywhere without this knowledge, unless the house is pre-2004, maybe even pre-2001.

Paying $50,000 to remove it? READ THE THREADS.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:44 PM

18,116 posts, read 11,750,994 times
Use the search feature located at the top right side of the screen (go back page to main threads)

Old 11-13-2009, 11:37 AM

1 posts, read 3,892 times
Default Chinese drywall health problems

Has anyone living with Chinese drywall experienced neurological problems such as balance difficulties, twitching, spasms, difficulty swallowing? Have any pregnant females in contact with Chinese drywall experienced fetal abnormalities in specific growth retardation or other abnormalities? Moderator cut: Solicitation not allowed

Last edited by doggiebus; 11-13-2009 at 11:59 AM..

Old 11-14-2009, 06:44 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,216,939 times
Post Seeking Legal Advice

If you are seeking legal advice...perhaps you might want to consider seeking out a law office that has some knowledge of chinese drywall......since the chinese drywall issue has been around for some time now...they will be able to guide you as to what actions you should start today...before the three year limit runs out...(three year limit is how long you have to start a law suit to recovery compensation)...

If your parents hired a home engineer or a home inspection company...they might have an insurance policy that can be accessed to assist your parents in recovering damages...perhaps even the real estate person that showed/sold them the house might have a policy...but time is running out...and if you snooze...you will loose......

Old 11-14-2009, 07:12 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,634,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty78 View Post
If you are seeking legal advice...perhaps you might want to consider seeking out a law office that has some knowledge of chinese drywall......since the chinese drywall issue has been around for some time now...they will be able to guide you as to what actions you should start today...before the three year limit runs out...(three year limit is how long you have to start a law suit to recovery compensation)...

If your parents hired a home engineer or a home inspection company...they might have an insurance policy that can be accessed to assist your parents in recovering damages...perhaps even the real estate person that showed/sold them the house might have a policy...but time is running out...and if you snooze...you will loose......
A few things.

The Chinese drywall is a relatively new issue, most lawyers that are advertising for clients are just that, advertising, most don't know anymore than the rest.

If you suspect your home has the bad drywall and want to file a complaint, contact the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission by clicking here Florida Attorney General - Home Page. You also can call 1-800-638-2772.

You can also reach out to the Florida Office of Attorney General by calling 1-866-966-7226

trying to get an inspectors insurance to cover it will likely not happen. Most inspectors have a clause in the inspection contract that would make that extremely hard.

And then going after the Realtor, how would they have had knowledge what building materials were used and how are they liable?

Edit: Also I believe Florida Statute of Limitations for Product Liability is 4 years and the 4 years does not start until the problem in found. I understand that anyone with the problem should get looking into answers but your post may push them to rush to the wrong attorney. They need to proceed with caution so they take the right path.

Last edited by Mike1306; 11-14-2009 at 07:26 AM..

Old 11-14-2009, 07:37 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,216,939 times
Talking Thanks Mike!!!!!

But I believe the poster was "Seeking Advice" and that is what I offered......if I somehow offended you......I must apologize......but we must remember...the poster is Seeking Advice......

Old 11-14-2009, 07:55 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,634,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty78 View Post
But I believe the poster was "Seeking Advice" and that is what I offered...rolleyes...if I somehow offended you...crying...I must apologize...think...but we must remember...the poster is Seeking Advice...smack...
I understand that the poster is seeking advice and that is why I posted what i did.

I was not offended, I just though I would give her some helpful information.

Going after the inspector or Realtor would probably be a dead end.

Someone giving advice contrary to yours in no reason to think someone is offended. Why you roll your eyes, cry and smack your head via smileys I don't understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida