Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 01:10 PM
TD* TD* started this thread

1,695 posts, read 4,139,627 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move from Tallahassee into a bigger city with more high tech offerings.

I have looked at Orlando and Tampa as possibilities..

Anyone have any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 01:16 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,687,749 times
Orlando has the largest high tech industry in FL and its still developing.

Wikipedia:
Metro Orlando has a rapidly growing $13.4 billion technology industry employing 53,000 people, and is a nationally recognized cluster of innovation in digital media, agritechnology, aviation, aerospace, and software. More than 150 international companies, representing approximately 20 countries, have facilities in Metro Orlando.

Metro Orlando is home to the simulation procurement commands for the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines and Coast Guard.

Orlando is a major industrial and hi-tech center. Lockheed-Martin has a large manufacturing facility for missile systems, aeronautical craft and related high tech research. Other notable engineering firms have offices or labs in Metro Orlando: KDF, General Dynamics, Harris, Mitsubishi Power Systems, Siemens, Veritas/Seagate, multiple USAF facilities, Naval Air Warfare Center Training Systems Division (NAWCTSD), Delta Connection Academy, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, GE, Air Force Agency for Modeling and Simulation (AFAMS), U.S. Army Program Executive Office for Simulation, Training, and Instrumentation (PEO STRI), United States Army Research, Development and Engineering Command United States Army Simulation and Training Technology Center (STTC), AT&T, Boeing, CAE Systems Flight & Simulation Training, HP, Institute for Simulation and Training, National Center for Simulation, Northrop Grumman, and Raytheon Systems.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:23 PM
TD* TD* started this thread

1,695 posts, read 4,139,627 times
GLS I just read the same thing on orlandos wikipedia page also...

Any more proof/info?

Old 01-08-2010, 01:29 PM

the medical city thats being built will bring many high tech jobs

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/featu...,1912153.story

Old 01-08-2010, 01:49 PM

334 posts, read 1,151,058 times
Orlando is good, as is Brevard County. We have NASA, Harris, Northrop Grumman, GE, Rockwell Collins, Raytheon, United Launch Alliance, United Space Alliance, Boeing, ITT, Patrick AFB, LiveTV/JetBlue, Soneticom, Intersil, Global Wireless, AuthenTec, DRS, and dozens of smaller tech companies.

As someone working for one of those companies, I'd suggest getting hired by one before you move. They'll almost always pay for your relocation.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoty View Post
Orlando is good, as is Brevard County. We have NASA, Harris, Northrop Grumman, GE, Rockwell Collins, Raytheon, United Launch Alliance, United Space Alliance, Boeing, ITT, Patrick AFB, LiveTV/JetBlue, Soneticom, Intersil, Global Wireless, AuthenTec, DRS, and dozens of smaller tech companies.

As someone working for one of those companies, I'd suggest getting hired by one before you move. They'll almost always pay for your relocation.
a lot of metro Orlando residents commute to Brevard county for those jobs. I know a few people in my neighborhood who work at NASA. I'm in east Orlando so the commute isn't bad, about 30-60 mins depending on what part of Brevard county. Brevard county is basically part of greater Orlando. We have the same local news stations and all that.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:07 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
The FWB area proper is a little smaller than Tallahassee though not as isolated, and there are a ton of high tech DoD jobs here if it seems like you can get a security clearance.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:02 PM

334 posts, read 1,151,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
a lot of metro Orlando residents commute to Brevard county for those jobs. I know a few people in my neighborhood who work at NASA. I'm in east Orlando so the commute isn't bad, about 30-60 mins depending on what part of Brevard county. Brevard county is basically part of greater Orlando. We have the same local news stations and all that.
I do see a decent number of Orange and Seminole plates in the parking lot at work, and there are a number of vanpools that stop by from Orlando. I work in Palm Bay and couldn't imagine having to make that commute from Seminole County every day! That's a solid 90 minute drive.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:30 PM

11 posts, read 65,332 times
right now cocoa area is dead. NASA is/or will be laying of by the thousands. Jacksonville has some big banks as well as Tampa. Im trying to get something down there so I can finish my move but its dead. Youre dealing with 14 pct unemployment so people are taking jobs 1/2 or greater of what they would get paid in an up economy. I look at jobs with a laundry list of qualifications and then a pay rate of 20 bucks an hour. I get paid 75plus to do that job anywhere else. I saw one where they want an MS degree MS certification etc etc and the rate was 11 per hour. You can make that much at Wal-mart. I can make 25 to 30 hr driving a friggin dump truck (union shop). If you want to make the money work for your self and scoop some contracts from the big guys. Like Geek Squad, EMC or IBM etc. I have one small law office (7 people ) that generates about 10k a year in billable time. once the work gets out youll build up a small client base.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:45 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,209,678 times
Orlando has the largest but Tampa is decent as well. Cant go wrong either way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida