U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 07:59 PM

22 posts, read 97,597 times
Default Safest areas of Florida.

My fiance and I are moving to Florida and we are considering New Smyrna Beach. But we are still looking for other safe areas. We DO NOT want to move near the Tampa bay or anywhere on the gulf of mexico. The reason for that is I am a Scuba diver, and studying to be a marine biologist, and will be in the ocean a lot, and the ocean in that area is one of the worst when it comes to sharks. I want to be sort of near the ocean, no more than a 45 min drive (assuming no traffic.)

So excluding the Gulf Coast area / Tampa area,
where would you say has the lowest crime rate,
and not to be racist, but higher white population.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 08:24 PM

4,366 posts, read 7,699,290 times
The Daytona/New Smyrna Beach area is probably the most common shark attack area in the state- rarely fatal, but a fair number of surfers end up getting chomped over there.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:24 PM

794 posts, read 1,241,616 times
Winter Springs, Lake Mary both about a 45 min drive to New Smyrna Beach

Lake Nona is a quick drive also to the beach and the Medical City bringing new growth and jobs, 30,000 plus.

Hope this helps,

Old 01-12-2010, 08:34 PM

6,672 posts, read 11,743,992 times
New Smyrna Beach is known as the Shark Attack Capital of the world.
Shark attack capital of the world, New Smyrna Beach, Fla., to host pro surfing contest | Outposts | Los Angeles Times
North America's top shark-attack beaches - USATODAY.com
Shark Attack epidemic continues in New Smyrna Beach | The Fear Beneath - Shark Attack News and Information
Sharks Sink Teeth Into 2 Surfers In New Smyrna - Central Florida News 13

There have actually been no fatal shark attacks ever recored on the gulf coast from south of Tampa to Naples. After rereading your post I can't tell if you are saying that the gulf coast is one of the worst for shark attacks or New Smyrna. As you can see New Smyrna is by far worse than the gulf. Maybe that's why you want to be there to study them??

Old 01-12-2010, 10:28 PM

2,495 posts, read 5,257,489 times
Yeah, as others have said--I think you have your data mixed up. Shark attacks primarily happen in the Ocean--not the Gulf.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:49 AM
Status: "Enjoying summer while it lasts." (set 29 days ago)

3,535 posts, read 5,308,959 times
I have only heard of 1 shark attack on the west coast of FL in the last 10 years or so, it was a freak attack in the Tampa Bay. A guy was cleaning his boat and it got him, the only reason he died was it bit his femural artery. I think there was one other up by the panama beach area a few years back. All the others are on the East coast of FL. When I was in Melbourne there were attacks on the news all the time.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:50 AM
Status: "Enjoying summer while it lasts." (set 29 days ago)

3,535 posts, read 5,308,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOlLFACEx View Post
My fiance and I are moving to Florida and we are considering New Smyrna Beach. But we are still looking for other safe areas. We DO NOT want to move near the Tampa bay or anywhere on the gulf of mexico. The reason for that is I am a Scuba diver, and studying to be a marine biologist, and will be in the ocean a lot, and the ocean in that area is one of the worst when it comes to sharks. I want to be sort of near the ocean, no more than a 45 min drive (assuming no traffic.)

thanks
Suntree/Viera areas.....

Old 01-13-2010, 09:47 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,542,010 times
Quote:

thanks
You need to just do some research. The main area of this website is a good start as well as
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed
You should be able to find the information you are looking for. Forums are good but you get a lot of opinions, often not very accurate and bias.
If I can ask, as diver I would not think you would have a real fear of sharks, most divers I know think nothing of them. Divers understand the environment and how it all relates. If you are talking about driving 45 minutes to go diving, the chances of you being killed on your way to the beach are like a million times greater then getting killed by a shark.

Last edited by Yac; 02-23-2010 at 05:46 AM..

Old 01-13-2010, 05:57 PM

3,370 posts, read 7,158,811 times
Quote:

thanks
The Keys would be perfect for you. With only a narrow chain of islands separating the ocean from the gulf, it's a marine biologist's paradise. The diving, snorkeling, and fishing are great down there. Crime is low and the white population is high.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:22 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,542,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
I have only heard of 1 shark attack on the west coast of FL in the last 10 years or so, it was a freak attack in the Tampa Bay. A guy was cleaning his boat and it got him, the only reason he died was it bit his femural artery. I think there was one other up by the panama beach area a few years back. All the others are on the East coast of FL. When I was in Melbourne there were attacks on the news all the time.
If you remember in 2001 it was the year of the shark. Florida had like a dozen bites by sharks (I don't call them attacks because sharks don't attack). It was all you saw on the news till 911 then no one was talking about sharks anymore. By the way, there was a shark bite just two weeks ago of a spear fisherman in Florida. Divers are pretty much no danger from sharks.

Shark bites are due to mistaking something for food. Such as a persons hand catching a glint light a looking like a bait fish. Or murky water, usually shallow and the shark just sees a flash of something and goes for it and it is your foot. If the shark can see you it will almost always go the other way. They actually act somewhat cowardly. Having said that, like any animal, you never know what it will do for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida