Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2007, 08:31 PM

8,488 posts, read 20,542,091 times

Advertisements

[quote=UKOK;921680]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post

Oh yeah, you're right. A real estate agent is just the same as a doctor. My mistake.
I was not comparing a real estate agent to a doctor.
I was correcting your misconception as to what a business is.

Let me put it to you in simpler terms.

If someone comes up to you and asks what line of business you are in do you say, "I am in the business of making money".

I won't answer for you but most people will say, "I am a doctor/lawyer/realtor/hairdresser."

They are all in business to make money but that is not their business.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:34 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,319,868 times
PLEASE stay on topic here instead of insulting each other.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:47 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,903,517 times
[quote=Mike Peterson;921849][quote=UKOK;921680]

Let me put it to you in simpler terms.

If someone comes up to you and asks what line of business you are in do you say, "I am in the business of making money".

Only if I am a real estate agent.

Bada Boom. Thank you, I'll be here all week.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:51 PM

165 posts, read 654,789 times
Ok now that we all got our feeling out. Let's start over again.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:09 PM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,486,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nychiefsfan View Post
There's a reason why the housing market is in a serious slump. In case you haven't noticed, the buyers ARE dictating the market buy NOT BUYING. That's why there's a slump. You can blame it on the increase in mortgage rates, but they weren't selling very well before the increase. Blame it on whatever you want, and I'm sure you will, but pricing is one of the main reasons why people aren't buying.

What part of Florida do you live in where there's no housing slump? I don't think I'm "out of touch" with my own market area, but I'm curious about yours. I'd love to do a property search in your county to see if you can back that statement up.

What's the value of the same home that sits on the market for 120-360+ days? What does that tell you?

Damn, kort, I can tell you're much more worked up about this than I am.

relax...breathe in...breathe out...

For someone who seems to be educated, it seems like you have no idea who Economist Robert Shiller is. Let me refresh your memory with his graph:

In the history of recorded home sales, there has NEVER been a housing bubble where prices didn't revert to where they were before the boom.

Here's the MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION for you, kort:

What makes you think it's going to be different this time???

Why does that bother you when it doesn't bother me??

I have a BA in Psychology and a Masters degree in Human Services. Your background doesn't make you any more or less informed in the RE arena than me. What's your logic based on? A hunch? That's not good enough for me.

That's why I research this slump everyday, yet I don't claim to know anything more than anyone else in this area. I'm just letting each day's articles speak for themsleves and I'll invite anyone and everyone who is willing to debate their side.

If it wasn't intended to be an insult, you would have reworded it differently. At least I wasn't "smart enough" to buy at the end of the housing boom like some people who are trying to sell their homes to no avail.

Yeah Chief!!!, scores one for the team, go get em tiger, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Old 06-20-2007, 09:15 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,560,439 times
Hi, Mike Peterson,
You have provided very valuable opinion in this forum on all sorts of topics. I also admire you to identify yourself as a realtor. I certainly learned a lot from you. I have worked with four realtors in buying and selling our homes. I would say two are good and two are bad. I also gained the understanding that the sole role of a realtor is to facilitate the transaction. Realtors don't determine the value of the house. Only buyer and seller determine the value of the property.

To whoever who are reading it, no matter you are selling, buying or bubble sitting, I think you should determine your own value standard just as Nychiefsfan (Although I just bought a house, I still admire him for his persistence to achieve his goal). Realtors can provide you some data but you have to make your own determination

Old 06-20-2007, 09:17 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,184,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKB View Post
Yeah Chief!!!, scores one for the team, go get em tiger, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
this says it all, what team is it? the gloom and doomers, I feel sorry for you, and by the way look up 32082

Old 06-20-2007, 09:42 PM

372 posts, read 856,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
this says it all, what team is it? the gloom and doomers, I feel sorry for you, and by the way look up 32082
kort, you never answered my million dollar question:

In all of the previous housing booms, the market returned to what it was before the boom. What makes you think that won't happen this time?

Here's the link to Robert Shiller's graph to refresh your memory:
http://www.1stmillionat33.com/posts/.../house_his.gif

Show me something tangible. A gut feeling doesn't cut it. I'm curious what your argument will be against the Economist Shilling. Sell your point and back it up. Prove you know more than him. I sure as heck don't.

As for your comment to SKB, it's only gloom and doom if you were the sucker who bought at the end of the housing boom who's trying to sell his house right now.

No gloom and doom here...just bright sunny skies while waiting for Shiller's prediction to come around.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:44 PM
SKB

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane roberts View Post
It is different in Florida then most of the country.People move here from all over the world not just from other states.If you buy in the right area then the prices will only go up and I dont care what they are selling for in Peoria or loneyville tenn.The longer you wait the more it will cost to buy here.I dont buy a home for investment but to live in.I believe most people do.If I have to stay here another 10 years before I get my price then so be it.We also are expecting anyewhere between 12 and 40 milliion people to come into the country.Where do you think they will live? If I cant sell it in 10 years I will just live out the rest of my life here and be quite content.Sometimes you just have to get off the pot and bite the bullet.The prices of the 90s are long gone.I was once able to buy a loaf of bread for a nickel. do you think that will ever happen again?
JMHO
Remember the thread about our favorite quotes? I forgot about this one, and it really is a very good one:

" It's different here"
and
"everyone wants to live here".

In all due respect Diane you just joined this board (welcome) and posted two messages.

The first one you listed selling information on your home, which oddly enough, is already listed with an agent.
I ask you this, if what you are saying is true then why on earth would you post the link for the real estate agent's listing for your property?
If, it is different here and everyone wants to live here why would you feel the need to do her job?

Your house, nice enough if you like that barn style (not my taste but, different strokes for different folks), your yard looks very nice with the lake and the natural style drive in and privacy.

I say, do yourself a favor and take it off the market and enjoy living in it. In my opinion (I am sure Chief would agree) your chances of selling it at your dream price (374,900) which is just that, a dream price.

If you didn't buy a home as an investment, then why are you so concerned about how much you want to sell it for and firmly stated that you will hold out for another ten years to get that wishing price.

You are the one that needs to get off the pot and reduce reduce reduce.

BTW, I agree with what chief said. The price of bread has risen with the pace of inflation, like pretty much everything outside of housing. It is unnatural for homes to appreciate 30% YOY.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:52 PM
SKB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nychiefsfan View Post
Apparently, you know more about real estate than Robert Shiller. Not many on this thread claim to be a RE expert. I'm certainly not one, but I feel I'm well-informed. That's why I post daily articles on this topic.

Dude, for whatever reason it is, you're in denial of what the news is reporting. I suspect, by the way you refuse to ignore the statistics, that you're one of the people who bought real estate at the end of the housing boom. If so, I may not be able to empathize your situation, but I might be able to sympathize your dilemma.

Also, It'd be nice if you could back your thoughts with something tangible. Give us a link showing how well housing is selling in your area. Show us some numbers that back what you say.

Chief, he bought a house two weeks ago he is a falling knife catcher! Well, that just helps to get the ball rolling by lowering the comps and he stated he felt he got a good deal with it. I wonder how he will feel in 18 more months from now. Oh well, can't say we didn't warn him of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida