Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 12:23 AM

1,708 posts, read 4,398,694 times

Advertisements

My only regret to moving to Florida is I miss Lambeau Field! Football and sports in general down here just aren't the same.

I'm not a big fan of all the complainers on the forums down here either, but then again I didn't really read the forums in Wisconsin. Funny how everyone wants to move North until they're sitting in a foot of snow and it's 10 degrees outside. Sweating on the beach sure beats scraping snow off my car and praying that it will start.
I will admit I don't like the spotty nature every city seems to have. By that I mean you will have a trailer park next to a 400k+ neighborhood. Or how a lot of cities in Palm Beach County at least have a pretty rough area that you have to drive through to go to the beach.
Some jobs seem to pay less, then again there aren't state taxes.
Everyone talks about the gangs down here and the rough areas, we had the same thing in Milwaukee, and we just didn't go in those areas...
Property taxes are less than they were in Milwaukee so I can't complain about that.
I really like it here and you won't see me heading anywhere else for a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 07:10 AM

18,120 posts, read 11,753,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
the most negatives I have heard about the weather comes from natives. Of course, not transplants because they think it is paradise.

Correct!

Paradise is what you make of it.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:30 AM

284 posts, read 985,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinet View Post
My only regret to moving to Florida is I miss Lambeau Field! Football and sports in general down here just aren't the same.

I'm not a big fan of all the complainers on the forums down here either, but then again I didn't really read the forums in Wisconsin. Funny how everyone wants to move North until they're sitting in a foot of snow and it's 10 degrees outside. Sweating on the beach sure beats scraping snow off my car and praying that it will start.
I will admit I don't like the spotty nature every city seems to have. By that I mean you will have a trailer park next to a 400k+ neighborhood. Or how a lot of cities in Palm Beach County at least have a pretty rough area that you have to drive through to go to the beach.
Some jobs seem to pay less, then again there aren't state taxes.
Everyone talks about the gangs down here and the rough areas, we had the same thing in Milwaukee, and we just didn't go in those areas...
Property taxes are less than they were in Milwaukee so I can't complain about that.
I really like it here and you won't see me heading anywhere else for a long time.
I don't mind if someone wants to express their dislikes about something but to do it all over the forum makes me sick and there are plenty that do so . I'm done with the snow and dry skin and keeping my kids inside during the winter , i want sunshine and a non frozen ground so i can play sports with my kids . Gangs are everywhere and we have plenty here on Long Island and i have stayed in Poinciana every time i visit and never had a problem and all i hear about is the gang activity there .
Just confused on why a lot of you members complain about living in Fla but still live there

Old 01-23-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
The crime is actually much higher in the whole state of Florida than it is on Long Island. Haven't you read that Long island is more or less the safest suburb in the country?
What about comparing the 2 states ? Here in Deer Park i read about teenage crimes more than anything , i would recommend living here .

Old 01-23-2010, 10:58 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,304,477 times
Really, if you want to use an entire states data to make a point then I can list page after page of data to prove that Florida has a far better overall quality of life then NY.

We all know you hate Florida like your mom but to try to prove a point using comparisons is funny, especially when people are running out of NY as fast as they can. ( and for good reason )

You must have missed the data posted that people are happier in Florida then any other state.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:00 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,947,110 times
Quote:
The crime is actually much higher in the whole state of Florida than it is on Long Island.
lol. . .

Quote:
Haven't you read that Long island is more or less the safest suburb in the country?
Used to be safe, once upon a time, crime is up (under reported), drugs are rampant, especially in the schools (understatement)...houses have lost significant value and those property taxes are off the charts, mirrors many places in the US today, the baby boomers as they retire are unloading their houses as they no longer want to pay or cannot afford the property taxes, bec they are coming to Florida

Old 01-23-2010, 11:23 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,377,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotix View Post
lol. . .

Used to be safe, once upon a time, crime is up (under reported), drugs are rampant, especially in the schools (understatement)...houses have lost significant value and those property taxes are off the charts, mirrors many places in the US today, the baby boomers as they retire are unloading their houses as they no longer want to pay or cannot afford the property taxes, bec they are coming to Florida
Your so right...but you cant tell them any different, between her and her mother its utopia and florida well we know how she feels about it....

this is for Rachael
I really wish you and your mom would get your facts straight...we live in boca Raton and let me tell you its safer than where I came from in Brooklyn...I happen to have friends on LI plenty of them and the crime well its certainly getting noticed as it is all over this country...Again we know how much you love NY and great for you, but pls get your facts straight....Drugs in LI high schools are pathetic, as well as Nj schools and anywhere else...LI as I have a friend who is a realtor there says the real estate is pretty bad talk about houses loosing their value...Property Taxes Hummmm now that is interesting that our friends and former family who moved out of LI were paying 9600 for a 2300 sq ft house built in 1967 where here they are paying for a 1995 house 6500 for a 2600 sq ft house....so again make sure you know what you are spewing...

Obviously LI is the greatest place on Earth, and that is your opinion although plenty of people choose to Leave....Just like they choose to leave Florida, but when push comes to shove the Jobs in NYC are awful, The Pay isn't that great either anymore, the Commuting and the Traffic are just as bad as any other populated place, drugs DONT kid yourself are in EVERY HS and or Middle School, teach your kids about drugs and they wont get into trouble...

So if you think that your town isn't like anywhere else well then you definately have blinders on...

Old 01-23-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotix View Post
lol. . .

i agree with everything except the crime well it really depends where you live in NY , there has been a lot of hate crimes here in Long Island and that really annoy's me . This heroin outbreak is off the wall , i 90% sure that Florida is going to be a better place to live for me and my family than where i am at now .

Old 01-23-2010, 11:32 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,377,459 times
panic, my family left Deerpark along time ago because it was changing and they wanted better for their kids.. you need to do what u feel is best for your family cause lets face it, most of the posters dont have a clue as they dont know you persay....Just know all the facts...Good Luck to you and your family

Old 01-23-2010, 11:39 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,765,136 times
It is still to much! Because I'm scared to leave a secure job I actually entertained looking at a house in Whitestone on a pretty large lot - the house was built in 1957 and I don't think it was ever updated - ever! How can you ask 400k for a house that needs to be gutted completely inside - I'll tell you how - you have foreign people who are willing to move 16 people into that house - so to them it is a deal making it virtually impossible for the average family to live - this to me is the blame of the real estate boom - people willing to pay outrageous amounts for crap!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida