Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 11:54 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,765,686 times

Advertisements

I have to agree with berry about the income here in NYC - reports this morning stated unemployment was 10.5% - it is bad here guys - employers are paying less for sure - I am so fortunate thY I was not laid off and I have a decent income but it is still hard!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
The crime is actually much higher in the whole state of Florida than it is on Long Island. Haven't you read that Long island is more or less the safest suburb in the country?
seriously? Let's not even to how corupt that statement is! As I said before I have read the statistics and do tend to rely on them but I say more petty crime is reported than in LI or NYC - you will argue this I'm sure. You will be wrong.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:11 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,572,777 times
Long Island is no longer considered by many to be the utopia a few think that it still is. Tales of rampant crime, drug usage in schools, traffic nightmares, awful race relations, tensions between immigrants and natives, awful commute on the LIRR and highways to the city, skyrocketing property taxes, low-paying or non-existent jobs...yeah, ladies and gents, we're talking Long island not Florida.

That's one reason many have left for Florida, and OP, have no regrets.

Yet, some still adore Long Island...that's surely their right for beauty is in the eye of the beholder...but one need not tear down another place to make their choice seem superior for all and sundry!

Old 01-23-2010, 02:05 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,660,026 times
Default Ok, check it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
I have to agree with berry about the income here in NYC - reports this morning stated unemployment was 10.5% - it is bad here guys - employers are paying less for sure - I am so fortunate thY I was not laid off and I have a decent income but it is still hard!
Look up your favoriate cities in Florida, THEN compare it to where you are.
Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas.

BTW, check out Northern NJ/Long Island. Yeah, SO bad there. Actually, look at Syracuse and Rochester. Eat your heart out.

To keep this on Florida topic, in my area Ft. Myers is 13.9% and Naples is 12.3%.

Last year I worked 1:1 with a disabled boy whose Dad lost his job in construction (BAD field to be in Florida), their house was foreclosed, and they were living out of their van for 3 months. Have you know anyone in those circumstances? One Friday his Mom came to school and announced that his Dad got a job in North Dakota, and they were moving on Tuesday. Check out ND's unemployment rate. I guess that is why.

Another thing. There is a saying here by a lot of people, that they pay you in Sunshine Dollars. Think about it.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:13 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,937,156 times
Let's take an example. I did a crime rate comparison between Boca Raton and Levittown:

Levittown violent crime:2
Boca: 4

Levittown property crime: 3
Boca: 6

And don't tell me it's unreported. That's just an excuse. What's funny is that it even says Uniondale (a high crime town) is still safer than Boca.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 02-23-2010 at 05:31 AM..

Old 01-23-2010, 03:35 PM

Really it's an excuse - rach how many people report that their cat was broken into in your neighborhood??? My cousins car was broken into and she sound it to be more troublesome to report it than to just fix the lock - please - are we really saying Uniondale is safer than Boca seriously - it's like saying east ny is safer than Astoria - stop it!

Old 01-23-2010, 03:38 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,937,156 times
Well, I can give you some other sites I've found too if you want. There's a reason why Cops is almost always in filming in Florida. Most people know that warmer climates have more crime because they have all year to do it in the warmth. There really aren't many crimes at all in the colder months.

I guess you also haven't heard that NYC is the safest big city.

284 posts, read 985,721 times
Quote:
Let's take an example. I did a crime rate comparison between Boca Raton and Levittown:

Levittown violent crime:2
Boca: 4

Levittown property crime: 3
Boca: 6

And don't tell me it's unreported. That's just an excuse. What's funny is that it even says Uniondale (a high crime town) is still safer than Boca.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed
Where in LI do you live ?

Last edited by Yac; 02-23-2010 at 05:31 AM..

Levittown is a nice place - I actually lived there as a kid it has changed a bunch since I was in elementary school but is still a nice place but IMO it is nit nicer than Boca - it is not as pleasant to the eye - as far as people go I would rate them about the Same as well - I would NEVER live in Uniondale!

Old 01-23-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Well, I can give you some other sites I've found too if you want. There's a reason why Cops is almost always in filming in Florida. Most people know that warmer climates have more crime because they have all year to do it in the warmth. There really aren't many crimes at all in the colder months.

I guess you also haven't heard that NYC is the safest big city.
Omg, is that your selling point - it gets cold so we have less crime lol - anyway - we don't have cops (the show) here because it would generate bad publicity for the city and being that the figures have been finagled a bit - it look unfavorable to have the show here - I have family in the pole department this is not my thinking these are facts / if you don't want to believe it you don't have to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida