U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 09:17 AM

282 posts, read 521,584 times
Default Any regrets moving to Florida ?

I would really want to hear from anyone who has lived in the Northeast and moved to Florida , what area you lived in and where did you move to and please list your pros and cons about it . And is it true that you get used to the heat ? Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 10:06 AM

1,194 posts, read 2,314,410 times
Lived in the NE area of th e states for many years. Our move to Florida was long time coming because we have investment property in Broward. Moving to SE Florida from the cold of the North East states was our best move. We are retired and we retired at 55. One day the snow ws 18 inches outside of Philly and I said "that's it. We go build ahome in Florida and live in it starting in 2 weeks" So we did.....Now almost 5 years later we still love Florida our home our city... Real Estate prices have fallen on our home close to 50% but we still love it here and we have no plans on moving...

The heat like the cold is better for the body because your body doesn't change like you need to with cold weather. People get use to the warm not like the cold but warm. + sometimes hot is hot and even for those that live here we get hot due to the humidity. We never wish we or my friends were back in the North. The Florida area as a whole is much cleaner than where we lived and we lived in a high end neighborhood of PA where they vacuumed the streets weekly....

Where we now live in Port Saint Lucie Florida people are aware that trash belongs in the dumpster or trash cans and if someone is noticed tossing trash out their car or anywhere else a hot line is open so you can report them...... I think our town is cleaner than most northern towns and we live in a water front home and love it...It is just great seeing water + hearing the birds when we first get up.... The auto drivers where we live now seem kinder and people seem more gracious on the whole but not everyone is 100% great....Most people are very nice and we love Florida even more for that fact....

Jobs in Florida now are far and few. When someone finds a job in Florida the pay is usually lower than those same jobs in the North unless it is a government job.. I did find that job applicants in Florida are required to have more education and experience. I have a dual masters and I didn't qualify for a job that my subordinates in the North held down... When I first got here I was just roaming the field for a job sending out applications not really wanting one full time but still I applied for 8 jobs in my field and lost every one... One job required a PhD and I tried to achieve the degree in 4 years.... Nowaday I kinda like going fishing, swimming, scuba diving when I want and thank God I am not in need of a job.

Good luck

God Bless those who are helping Haiti, those that still need saving, our Troops and Veterans.

Last edited by Synergy1; 01-17-2010 at 10:15 AM..

Old 01-17-2010, 12:30 PM

22,628 posts, read 9,611,793 times
I was living in Michigan, which could be considered the NE.

I like it here, the weather is better by far. The only thing I miss are my friends. My line of work keeps me isolated quite often. Generally, people make friends with the people they work with, in my experience anyway. So its harder here, when I'm even further isolated, to meet a lot of folks to make friends with. I've done reasonably well though, meet a couple of people, made a few friends. I still miss my Michigander friends though.

Other than that, not much I do miss from my time in Michigan. Maybe because I didn't have to work as hard up there.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:10 PM

2,102 posts, read 2,442,234 times
Moved down to Florida 9 years ago and have no regrets at all. I'm actually in the process of moving back to N.H..I was lucky enough to come down at a time when houses were actually selling for somewhat realistic prices.I was lucky enough to secure employment as soon as i arrived and have been gainfully employed ever since. I consider myself extremly lucky to have been able survive while i carefully weighed the pro's and the con's of the move and deceide where i want to spend the rest of my days. I can understand the part about missing your friends. Mine came down a couple times and that was it. Same with family, I thought everyone would want to come to visit me in Florida, not the case. As i said already, not one regret whatsoever,, but it is definatly time to go home.I believe anyone who thinks they might like to live here ought to try it. What have you got to loose? You'll probablly never find real estate as cheap as it is now.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:52 PM

5,643 posts, read 3,699,441 times
Yes.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:58 PM

3,225 posts, read 5,066,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Yes.
What a brief answer! Would you mind stating why, as many of us would like to have your take on this.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:59 PM

8,409 posts, read 13,452,051 times
I moved here 9 years ago from PA. I don't regret it one bit. Honestly, I believe it was move for the better. We were isolated in the country in PA. I couldn't take the endless winters, frigid cold and gray days. Everything here is so convenient. You have the beach, Disney (although I don't go), springs, festivals and so much more.

The only thing I DO NOT care for is how long the heat lasts. It's like moving from one extreme to the next. It gets hot here from about May until November. I do miss the seasons. If the weather here was more balanced out like NC, it would be perfect IMHO. No place is perfect though.

On the other hand, my DH totally misses it up north. If he could, he'd go back today. He works outside, so he doesn't like it. (except for this time of the year) He misses the mountains in PA and thinks it looks artificial down here. He doesn't think it's horrible here like some others, but her prefers to be up north.

Our family is all up north, so that makes it tough too.

We are in central FL.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:37 PM

690 posts, read 870,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderate Guy View Post
What a brief answer! Would you mind stating why, as many of us would like to have your take on this.
^^^^^^^^^LOL

Panic, you can perform a search in the Florida forum, you will find many posts with lots of information from people that have relocated from the northeast.

Last edited by chaotix; 01-17-2010 at 08:01 PM..

Old 01-17-2010, 06:56 PM

7,147 posts, read 11,509,383 times
We moved from NJ to Charlotte NC after 2 years we moved here to florida..We do not regret our decision one bit...We wanted to move here 11 years ago from NJ but well just didnt, and we are so thankful that we had the chance to do this move...My dh was offered a great opportunity that we couldnt pass on..He loves his job here and we are all very happy. We like the people, we love the area and it is very close to shopping, restaurants, ft lauderdale, Miami, etc....My children are also very happy here and have met some really great friends...and we are extremely happy with their schools..Dh and I have met some wonderful people and we just met the greatest people that we have become friends with as our boys go to the same school and are the same age and have also become really good friends
Life is good here in Boca...

Old 01-17-2010, 07:05 PM

1,171 posts, read 1,805,017 times
I moved to Florida from Boston. I didn't want to move but I needed a job, couldn't find anything in Boston and the best fit I found was down here. For that reason I could not say I have any regrets because I did not choose to leave a good thing behind. However, a year ago I changed jobs again and had to choose between a new part of Florida and Tennessee and I chose to stay. I have liked it more than I thought I would. I believe that there is something worthwhile anywhere and you have to put at least some effort into making any place feel like home.

This time of year it is certainly easier to say moving down here is worth it. The recent cold snap (more than a snap, really) reminded me a little of what it was like. Dry skin, dry eyes, static shocks, hiding inside..... But like everything in life there is a trade-off. The summers can be hard. Yes, I have gotten somewhat used to the heat. It took several years, though, and it isn't like I am comfortable outside all day in August. I'm just somewhat more able to tolerate it.

Although it is obvious, one of my favorite things down here vs. Boston is how much more home I can buy for my money. I had a two bedroom condo in Somerville. When I moved down here I bought a 3 bedroom / 2 bath / 2 car garage house on a pond. On the flip side I hate having to own a car, which I never did when I lived in Boston. I miss the hills sometimes and I always miss the autumn. But I love the beauty of the Everglades and other wetlands. Both places are very different and for me it is important to remember that every place is unique and to appreciate what is special about the place. I've moved around a lot through life but have been here in Florida now for about six and a half years now. I'm hoping it's my last stop, because there is so much to enjoy down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida