Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2007, 08:10 PM

555 posts, read 2,211,852 times

Advertisements

As far as I know, the no-fault auto insurance requirement will end Oct 1 unless a special legislative session in June changes things. It is supposed to lower everyone's auto insurance by several hundred dollars a year. It is because of the no-fault that we pay more in Florida for car insurance. I do worry about all the reckless drivers that refuse to get auto insurance. I know a man whose wife was killed in an accident after an illegal alien hit her car while driving drunk then fled back to Mexico or wherever to avoid the consequences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 08:02 PM

251 posts, read 885,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelle3 View Post
As far as I know, the no-fault auto insurance requirement will end Oct 1 unless a special legislative session in June changes things. It is supposed to lower everyone's auto insurance by several hundred dollars a year. It is because of the no-fault that we pay more in Florida for car insurance. I do worry about all the reckless drivers that refuse to get auto insurance. I know a man whose wife was killed in an accident after an illegal alien hit her car while driving drunk then fled back to Mexico or wherever to avoid the consequences.
I don't know why anyone would not choose to have no-fault coverage. Do you realize that according to my agent if you get into an accident and neither of you have it you will have to hire an attorney to litigate dammages and your health insurance, if you have it will be responsible for any injuries, if not you pay cash!

Old 05-25-2007, 10:41 PM

631 posts, read 2,451,219 times
I am Originally from TN and that's not the case there. Your insurance company does the litigation for you. You the individual are never involved in hiring an attorney and only in extreme cases do you go to court. They sue for insurance too. Sometimes they do not have to sue at all - they work between insurance companies behind the scenes to get a settlement.

Old 05-26-2007, 06:31 AM

251 posts, read 885,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoktober View Post
I am Originally from TN and that's not the case there. Your insurance company does the litigation for you. You the individual are never involved in hiring an attorney and only in extreme cases do you go to court. They sue for insurance too. Sometimes they do not have to sue at all - they work between insurance companies behind the scenes to get a settlement.
All I can say is call your Florida agent...I did and that is what I was told. Also remember there aren't half the amount of people driving in TN compared to Florida.

Old 05-26-2007, 06:50 AM

555 posts, read 2,211,852 times
I received a letter in the mail from my insurance company stating that they would provide a similiar policy to replace the current no-fault. I don't know if I want the extra coverage or not. No-fault only covers 10,000 which is about 3 hours in a hospital. How does that help anyhow? It seems to just cover initial cost after an accident and only injury. I will always insure my cars, but if an uninsured motorist hits me, I can only receive up to 10,000 from what I understand. In FLorida, I am sure there are lots of uninsured drivers.

Old 05-26-2007, 11:21 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,210,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineState View Post
All I can say is call your Florida agent...I did and that is what I was told. Also remember there aren't half the amount of people driving in TN compared to Florida.
State Farm also sent us a letter and the way they explained it was that WE would have to take the other party to court for damages. They also offered to 'sell' us an additional policy to cover this, but like the previous poster, I'm not sure it's worth it - for the minute amount it covers. I already have good health insurance that I pay HUGE $$$ for. Wouldn't my health insurance cover it anyway?

Old 05-28-2007, 07:23 PM

4 posts, read 11,972 times
We've only been here a few years but lived in several other mandatory insurance states with the same insurance company. They all had un/under insured options for car insurance policies. Our insurance doubled when we moved here -- same coverages, same vehicles, same drivers. When we've had to file a claim against another insurance company, our insurance company handled everything. I haven't gotten a letter or anything -- this is the first I've heard of this.

Old 05-29-2007, 05:43 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
I would not trust a letter from an insurance co about a change in policy like this--especiallly state farm (and we have state farm) don't think their history w/handling claims post-katrina shows them as friend to any policy holder--but that is just me--still waiting to get my inspection after hail storm in my local area more than 6 weeks ago---

california has had no-fault ins for decades...

in TX--insurance companies talk to each other as agents of their policy holders--think this State Farm letter may be scare tactic to get people to overinsure and buy coverage that should be theirs by law under other policy aspects...

CAll another insurance company as ask for info/quote---might be surprised--check out AARP's web site (I haven't but they might have general info)--even if you are not senior citizen same rules would apply to all drivers--correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida