Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 09:13 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,910,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
You know me better than that miles - these guys are idiots and it is unfortunate for com that these are his experiences - taints his view of someone like me.
Chelsa, your awesome. I dont have any reason to think otherwise. No matter what color. I dont care what someone looks like, it's their actions that bother me. One of my favorite neighbors, if not my favorite were hispanic. A good, friendly, Christian family that we really miss. They moved away. My wife even cried when they left, and we still exchange Christmas cards and phone calls with.

Like I said, it's not about the color of one's skin - everyone is different. But when I have seen things that really bother me, it usually is a certain group. I dont see anything wrong with saying what I see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 10:24 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,570,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Chelsa, your awesome. I dont have any reason to think otherwise. No matter what color. I dont care what someone looks like, it's their actions that bother me. One of my favorite neighbors, if not my favorite were hispanic. A good, friendly, Christian family that we really miss. They moved away. My wife even cried when they left, and we still exchange Christmas cards and phone calls with.

Like I said, it's not about the color of one's skin - everyone is different. But when I have seen things that really bother me, it usually is a certain group. I dont see anything wrong with saying what I see.
I understand your point of view, ComSense. One cannot for the sake of political correctness be untrue to oneself. You observe in your surroundings behavior emanating from some members of a group and you cannot sweep that under the rug.

However, you quite appropriately recognize that not all members of that group act that way...and if I may infer, I think that you're smart enough to know, that another person in another situation - in another neighborhood in Florida or across the USA - might find that similar ugly actions may well indeed be perpetrated by say, whites, blacks, or Asians.

Unfortunately, situations like this, perpetrated by members of different racial and ethnic groups can, and do indeed occur in both the North and the South. Sometimes the hooligans are Latino, other times they are black, white, or of other majority or minority groups.

Last edited by Moderate Guy; 01-23-2010 at 10:33 AM..

Old 01-23-2010, 06:08 PM

872 posts, read 1,712,611 times
Its kind of strange seeing this thread on the Florida forum but there are some areas where these may apply. I moved to a small town on near Ocala just over twenty years ago. In that small period of time the country has, unfortunately, become much more homogenous with only slight differences between north and south. Back in the 70's + through early 90's there seemed to be many more cultural differences between the north and the south.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:33 PM

574 posts, read 2,044,474 times
I agree that a lot of those probably don't refer to FL. I was born and rasied in the same town in central FL (Daytona area) and in my 50 years have never heard a lot of what was said in the quote by the OP. We have so many northern transplants here that FL is really almost not considered part of the south anymore, at least not culturally.

Nancy

Old 01-24-2010, 11:41 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Halloween is a special occasion, but remember some "gangsta wannabee's" brought out a bat like they were going to him my neighbor (a woman) with it. That is completely unacceptable and it doesnt matter what the occasion is. It was truly very strange and it could have gotten very out of hand, very quickly with the amount of alcohol and the mentality of these folks in the first place.
My neighborhood had a couple of trick-or-treaters and then except for some people going out and coming home (minding their own business), it was dead quiet after 9. I don't really think this neighborhood sounds "decent" at all!

Old 01-24-2010, 11:45 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
they left, and we still exchange Christmas cards and phone calls with.

I don't either, as long as you are actually referring to personal experiences! For example, it's uncalled for to go bashing the entire populace of Miami when you live four hours away, have never lived in Miami before, and don't go there much, just because you have some crappy people from New York and PR living in your community and there are also a lot of New Yorkers and transplants in S Fl. It's really not necessary to paint with such a broad brush, because my neighborhood is also populated with people from some of these same places but sounds nothing like yours, and it's actually not a high scale neighborhood at all. To observe that a lot of the scummy people moving into your community are from the same places, however, is a perfectly fair observation.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I don't either, as long as you are actually referring to personal experiences! For example, it's uncalled for to go bashing the entire populace of Miami when you live four hours away, have never lived in Miami before, and don't go there much, just because you have some crappy people from New York and PR living in your community and there are also a lot of New Yorkers and transplants in S Fl. It's really not necessary to paint with such a broad brush, because my neighborhood is also populated with people from some of these same places but sounds nothing like yours, and it's actually not a high scale neighborhood at all. To observe that a lot of the scummy people moving into your community are from the same places, however, is a perfectly fair observation.

Hit the nail on the head right there my friend. I dont think I've ever said "everyone from this place" is rude, etc... I have always told stories of what has happened to me (I DO NOT make things up), and they are, for the most part, involving "scummy people who are from the same places." It's just very odd that it's usually the same people doing the same BS (which I have said over and over again - which I believe to still be a fair and honest observation).

Old 01-24-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
My neighborhood had a couple of trick-or-treaters and then except for some people going out and coming home (minding their own business), it was dead quiet after 9. I don't really think this neighborhood sounds "decent" at all!

Luckily those folks that had the party are "bye-bye!" They've been evicted. Havent been paying their rent for months. Adios!

Old 01-24-2010, 02:40 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,763,584 times
I'm glad for you this happened! Those people were just morons and really horrible - threatening anyone with violence for simply asking to get off their property is not acceptable behavior - I'm glad they are gone for everyones sake in your community! Hopefully you will get some decent humans in there! And thank you for the compliment - I understand your experiences are just that - your experiences - I haven't had the best experiences with small town caucasions but I chose not to believe that all are like that. I'm very happy to hear that you recognize these are IDIOTS who happen to be Hispanic!

Old 01-24-2010, 03:03 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioAdoptMom3 View Post
I agree that a lot of those probably don't refer to FL. I was born and rasied in the same town in central FL (Daytona area) and in my 50 years have never heard a lot of what was said in the quote by the OP. We have so many northern transplants here that FL is really almost not considered part of the south anymore, at least not culturally.

Nancy
I agree that most of what was posted doesn't apply to Florida. Only in the most geographically southern state are "Southerners" made fun of because of their accents and mannerisms! Quite ironic isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida